Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it

Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it

I would like to know the Location of the seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it by wrapping it in some foam tape or something like that. Crushing with pliers comes to mind, for some satisfaction. but tape probably would work too to quiet it down a bit I'm thinking.

Car is a 2010 Turbo

Anyone else do such a thing?

There is this other thread about how to trick the system, but I still do want the red light on the dash, I just don't like the chime bonging away, not needed, I would see the red light on the dash if I forgot to put the seatbelt on.

Other thread is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post7295741
Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

why? Why would you not want to be wearing your seatbelt?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you keep your speed under 15 mph the chime and light won't come on. Once you do, however, it will continue to sound off!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 PM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to a junkyard, find a Volkswagen then cut the seatbelt strap and take off the piece that you insert into the seatbelt. Works for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Why????
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Get one of these.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/Chimex-.html

I use it when my 70 lb Portie rides shotgun.

(I can't believe how bent out of shape some people get over this issue.)
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AreaOne
Go to a junkyard, find a Volkswagen then cut the seatbelt strap and take off the piece that you insert into the seatbelt. Works for me.
I did exactly that to silence the chime when I use my 6pt harness at the track; cost me $3. However, why anyone would not want to use the seatbelt under normal circumstances is beyond me.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Guys - you are repeating the same comments as other threads about seat belts, and it's not actually needed.

1. I wear my belts all the time 100% - I need the belts to work of course.
2. I want the red light on the dash to continue to function if I ever forget.
3. I just want to know the location of the buzzer and tone it down. My ears work really well, and I don't need to hear this chime daily.
4. I back my car out in reverse without a seatbelt always. When I start driving off I put the belt on. It's my way to do it.
5. I always want the best possible solution if it's available - I'm always satisfied with the best.

I thought my original post would eliminate all the assumptions.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you keep your speed under 15 mph the chime and light won't come on. Once you do, however, it will continue to sound off!
Aha, well that IS interesting. Thanks for that. I was wondering if there was a timer or something, but yeah that fits what I am experiencing.

If that speed could be raised a little higher, I might never hear the chime then and I'd be cool with that.

I guess I am driving over 15mph when I say I am crawling and putting on the belt because I usually do hear the chime.
Or maybe the Canadian 2010 turbo has an even lower speed setting. I still do want to muffle or silence the chime though.

I think these things should be possible to configure by computer. If I could raise that speed limit just a bit higher, I could live with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
5. I always want the best possible solution if it's available - I'm always satisfied with the best.
I hate to be the nanny, but that chime is there to keep you safe! The best solution in this case is better to adjust your habit than mute the chime. I'd hate to see you get hurt if you got hit by a car/hit an immobile object you didn't see while backing out, or before you got your belt buckled.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The durametric pro cable can turn off the chime. However, the cheapest model is $675.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I hate to be the nanny, but that chime is there to keep you safe! The best solution in this case is better to adjust your habit than mute the chime. I'd hate to see you get hurt if you got hit by a car/hit an immobile object you didn't see while backing out, or before you got your belt buckled.
I've been wearing my seat belts even in my vehicles that don't NAG me.
Back in '74, when I got my first Porsche, I couldn't even start the car without the belt being inserted. I found out how to unplug the module from under the seat because I didn't like the idea of having to buckle up just to start the car.

But I still wore the belt when driving because I liked being held in place, especially when cornering.

Bottom Line: I hope someone can tell the OP the location of the chime so he can unplug it (if possible). I mean, it's HIS car, he should be able to do it HIS way.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there's actually a way to turn off the chime at your dealer. I beleive it's switchable using the Piwis software. Imagine if someone had a medical issue where they couldn't wear a seatbelt.

I also heard there's some kind of a secret code that you can switch this off by plugging the seatbelt 30 times or something.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I think there's actually a way to turn off the chime at your dealer. I beleive it's switchable using the Piwis software. Imagine if someone had a medical issue where they couldn't wear a seatbelt.

I also heard there's some kind of a secret code that you can switch this off by plugging the seatbelt 30 times or something.
But a dealer won't switch it off - liability issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Location of seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it