Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt Warning Ding - SOLUTION!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Euclid537
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Warning Ding - SOLUTION!!

Like many others here, I was fed up with the constant noise my Cayenne was making while driving in parking lots and short distances... so, I did what I do best - found a solution!

I've read several threads asking about this - most of them get into some kind of moral debate and none of them ever produce an actual answer. I am.

How to:
  • Look under your driver's seat. (You may need to adjust the front of your seat all the way up (towards the sky))
  • You will see a yellow connector, like this: http://i46.tinypic.com/25s7hab.jpg
  • To disconnect, press the tab in the middle of the connector, and pull. (towards the front of the vehicle)
  • Press the leads of a 100ohm resistor into the female contact points of the connector.

Leave the 2 pieces of the connector disconnected.

Your vehicle will now think that your seatbelt is connected at all times. It will not interfere with any other systems (such as airbag)

If you don't have access to a 100ohm resistor, I have plenty.
I can mail you one for $5, including shipping.
Simply send $5 paypal to euclid AT mail.utexas.edu (replace the AT with an @ and remove the spaces)
I'll even cut and bend the resistor for you so you can just plug and play.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

BRILLIANT!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You can also take it to your dealer, sign a waiver and them them program it out of the system using PIWIS.

I got it done at no charge while in for coil replacements.

YMMV depending on your dealer
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Euclid - You da man!!! This will go down as my greatest mod to the CS, after 6 years of being ragged on by that incessant ding. For all the naysayers, see post #10 https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...belt-beep.html ... and, yes, I wear my seatbelt.

PayPal sent.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Jamo
Intermediate

In my LR3 it was simply a matter of turning the key to II and then engaging and disengaging the seatbelt buckle 9 times in quick succession.

Seems Porsche are smarter
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

perfect, I always get tired of people and customers asking me if I am in a Walmart or next to a front door of a store.....
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Will this work on my 997??? Please!!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Euclid537
7th Gear

Originally Posted by joe 997
Will this work on my 997??? Please!!
I'm not sure... I've got some friends in the area with 997s, let me run some diags
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

BRILLIANT +1. A googol of thanks. I actually had considered from time-to-time selling the car because of that incessant ding.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
stealth1
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Raptor
This will go down as my greatest mod...yes, I wear my seatbelt

best. mod. ever.

99 cents for the resistors at radio shack and ding is gone.

thanks euclid.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure exactly how the airbag deployment works in the Cayenne however I do know that in many other vehicles, the functionality of the airbag relies on whether or not the occupant is wearing his seatbelt via the contact within the buckle and a sensor within the seat cushion. Many 2-stage deployment SRS systems work this way and rely heavily on seatbelt use.

No moral debate here however I would rather look at disabling or muffling the chime itself in place of messing around with the SRS system; even though the chime may also serve as a vehicle warning note should the driver be distracted and misses the visual warning on the cluster.

IMO, find the chime or piezo and use adequately dense foam or suitable metarial to muffle the sound to your level of peace in place of messing around with SRS components.

Last edited by Andy E.; 01-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I'm not sure exactly how the airbag deployment works in the Cayenne however I do know that in many other vehicles, the functionality of the airbag relies on whether or not the occupant is wearing his seatbelt via the contact within the buckle and a sensor within the seat cushion. Many 2-stage deployment SRS systems work this way and rely heavily on seatbelt use.

No moral debate here however I would rather look at disabling or muffling the chime itself in place of messing around with the SRS system; even though the chime may also serve as a vehicle warning note should the driver be distracted and misses the visual warning on the cluster.

IMO, find the chime or piezo and use adequately dense foam or suitable metarial to muffle the sound to your level of peace in place of messing around with SRS components.
I agree 100%. See post number 3 above.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine's due to go to the shop next week, I'll see if the dealer will do this for me, thanks.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott C
You can also take it to your dealer, sign a waiver and them them program it out of the system using PIWIS.

I got it done at no charge while in for coil replacements.

YMMV depending on your dealer

I wonder if they can take away the chime, but leave the red light on the dash.

You see, I back my car out of the garage without a seatbelt, and then when I drive forwards I like to put the seatbelt on while I am moving. Maybe that's wrong, but that's the fast way for me and it's my habit to always wear seat belts 100%, so I do not require the chime.

I want to find the bonger buzzer piezo thing and crush it with pliers if possible for satisfaction, but if I could muffle it or make it go away while leaving the red dashboard warning alone, that would be great.

I guess I have to see if I can find the peizo chime location in my car for my ideal solution.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
reedickyaluss
Track Day

Sweet.

Just installed the transistor on my break at work... didn't drive it yet.. but started it, and no dash warning lights.. so Im sure it worked.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Warning Ding - SOLUTION!!