Sponsored by:

Location of seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
I would like to know the Location of the seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it by wrapping it in some foam tape or something like that. Crushing with pliers comes to mind, for some satisfaction. but tape probably would work too to quiet it down a bit I'm thinking.

Car is a 2010 Turbo

Anyone else do such a thing?

There is this other thread about how to trick the system, but I still do want the red light on the dash, I just don't like the chime bonging away, not needed, I would see the red light on the dash if I forgot to put the seatbelt on.

Other thread is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post7295741
if you find mechanic with PIWIS he can help you out. it is possible to turn it off if you disable weight sensors in seats.
it gets done on regular basis for cars that use racing 5pt harnesses.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Guys - you are repeating the same comments as other threads about seat belts, and it's not actually needed.

1. I wear my belts all the time 100% - I need the belts to work of course.
2. I want the red light on the dash to continue to function if I ever forget.
3. I just want to know the location of the buzzer and tone it down. My ears work really well, and I don't need to hear this chime daily.
4. I back my car out in reverse without a seatbelt always. When I start driving off I put the belt on. It's my way to do it.
5. I always want the best possible solution if it's available - I'm always satisfied with the best.

I thought my original post would eliminate all the assumptions.
So it appears that your grievance is caused by a very long driveway to back up your car and you do it above 15MPH, without seat-belts on. It seems appropriate for the car to remind you to buckle up under those conditions, doesn't it?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
So it appears that your grievance is caused by a very long driveway to back up your car and you do it above 15MPH, without seat-belts on. It seems appropriate for the car to remind you to buckle up under those conditions, doesn't it?
Would this be as appropriate?

"So it appears that your grievance is caused by driving above 65MPH. It seems appropriate for the car to remind you to drive slower, doesn't it?"

Where does this nanny stuff end?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Would this be as appropriate?

"So it appears that your grievance is caused by driving above 65MPH. It seems appropriate for the car to remind you to drive slower, doesn't it?"

Where does this nanny stuff end?
The speed beep is not a nanny. You are free to set it, or not, at the speed level you select. If you set it, it is because you want it to remind you that you passed some speed value you care about.

The seatbelt beep is a nanny, most of us can live with. Heck, most of us never hear it.

As far as nannies... I think seat-belts make sense, airbags, especially the front ones, do not, if one wears seat-belts. Heck, all trackers/racers wear elaborate restraining systems... why not on the road, where the probability of an accident is actually higher?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

"So it appears that your grievance is caused by a very long driveway to back up your car and you do it above 15MPH, without seat-belts on. It seems appropriate for the car to remind you to buckle up under those conditions, doesn't it? "

Why doesn't the car remind me each time I open the door to watch my head and be careful not to slam my fingers in the door. I did that one time. I think I'm going to sue porsche for smashing my fingers. They should also install a breathalyzer on every car. You shouldn't be able to start the car if you've been drinking. It's totally out of your control when you're drunk whether you start the car and start driving. It's like you're a zombie with an uncontrollable urge to drive. What about driving angry.. shouldn't they have a sensor for that to remind you not to drive while you're angry? Anger can affect your judgement. I think we can do this.. it should have something to do with blood pressure maybe. It's not really your fault if you crash when you're angry.

If the guy wants to turn the chime off, what's the problem? As long as he's not getting out on the road and crashing himself up with seat belt related medical bills that raise my insurance rates, who cares? He' just going down the driveway. Yeah there are safer ways to live but I think he'll be all right.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

The speed beep is not a nanny. You are free to set it, or not, at the speed level you select. If you set it, it is because you want it to remind you that you passed some speed value you care about.

The seatbelt beep is a nanny, most of us can live with. Heck, most of us never hear it.

As far as nannies... I think seat-belts make sense, airbags, especially the front ones, do not, if one wears seat-belts. Heck, all trackers/racers wear elaborate restraining systems... why not on the road, where the probability of an accident is actually higher?
I wasn't sure if your previous comment was made in jest but now I know it wasn't so...

To me, this WAS NOT a discussion on whether seat belts should be worn. (I totally believe in them but I'll let others decide for themselves.)

This WAS a discussion on whether a driver needs to be subjected to the "nanny" beep. This is especially irritating to those who DO wear them.

There are times when I'm backing into a parking space or in other tight quarters, when I release the belt so I can turn around to see what's behind me better.

Furthermore, if I'm in my own driveway, I'll decide at what point I need to buckle up.

It's really not that big a deal to me, I was just chiming in and agreeing with the original poster.

I don't want to take any more space up here. It seems to be going off topic. The guy just wanted to find a way to muffle or turn the beep off. He even said he wears his belt so a discussion of belt usage is not appropriate here.

Now as for the speed thing, I wasn't talking about one that you can set yourself; I was basically saying, what if car makers put in a non defeat-able speed nanny?

As I mentioned, I ALWAYS wear and have worn my belt. I'm at the point where I don't feel comfortable driving without it. I don't consciously think of safety, I just like being held in place when I take corners etc.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
The durametric pro cable can turn off the chime. However, the cheapest model is $675.
Good stuff.

I have a Durametric, but it's old and for my 99 C4 and I rarely boot my mac into Windows so it's a big hassle to use that Durametric, but I will update and try and probably get a new Durametric unit.

Glad to hear this.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I hate to be the nanny, but that chime is there to keep you safe! The best solution in this case is better to adjust your habit than mute the chime. I'd hate to see you get hurt if you got hit by a car/hit an immobile object you didn't see while backing out, or before you got your belt buckled.

Yep - I tried adjusting today - it can work. I admit that.

But seat belts not needed in reverse gear according to the law.

Last edited by BuddyK; 08-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charlie C

Bottom Line: I hope someone can tell the OP the location of the chime so he can unplug it (if possible). I mean, it's HIS car, he should be able to do it HIS way.

Thanks Charlie, this is my feeling.

I was just hoping someone could tell me the location of the buzzer so I could get an idea if I can do a DIY take apart easy. What I do with my buzzer is my business haha.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Hi Icon

No - the driveway is a short backup. In winter I wear a huge McMurdo parka.

I back up the car without a seatbelt, and if I were to continue for miles driving in reverse (just for example), the seat belt buzzer and warning lights would never come on. Seatbelts are not required for driving in reverse gear. No annoying buzzers in reverse.

Also - the second post with the popcorn icon was very prophetic.

The assumptions about seat belts by several posters are off base and un called for. First time I ever had a bad experience trying to get an answer here.

Last edited by BuddyK; 08-14-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Hi Icon

No - the driveway is a short backup. In winter I wear a huge McMurdo parka.

I back up the car without a seatbelt, and if I were to continue for miles driving in reverse (just for example), the seat belt buzzer and warning lights would never come on. Seatbelts are not required for driving in reverse gear. No annoying buzzers in reverse.
Honestly... are you always reversing above 15MPH? If not, it shouldn't buzz.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Honestly... are you always reversing above 15MPH? If not, it shouldn't buzz.

NO! I am NOT! Haha.

The buzzer doesn't and won't go off in reverse! Even if you were reversing at top reverse speed!

Just for your interest - seat belts are not required in reverse gear. Maybe technically and definitely by the letter of the law.

Last edited by BuddyK; 08-14-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

I'll leave the seatbelt philosophical discussions to the rest of you.
If the carrera is like the cayenne, then the chime mechanism/device is located in the instrument cluster.

The chime in the my 04 cayenne has gone from a pleasant sound to one that is imitating a dying duck. (to replace the chime, you have to replace the entire instrument cluster at $1500). I'll live with the duck
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 203 Posts

I knew when I saw a seatbelt thread that people wouldn't be restrained.

Sorry.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Coochas
I knew when I saw a seatbelt thread that people wouldn't be restrained.

Sorry.
Apparently not. LOL.

Quick Reply: Location of seatbelt piezo chime - so I can muffle it