Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Sunroof in Coupe
Should be OPTIONAL (as it was in previous models)
89.47%
Should be MANDATORY (as it is now)
10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Sunroof Should be Optional?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Not necessarily. As I said above...in CA at least (Porsche's largest US market), dealers cannot make deposits non-refundable. You can order a car, put down $5k, wait for three months, go in to take delivery, change your mind, and walk away with all of your deposit.
If that were the issue, then Porsche would prohibit buyers in CA from ordering other kinds of special options and colors that are rare, unusual, and difficult to resell. They don't.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-14-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I figure the sunroof is there to compete with the BMW. I figure they are giving you the sunroof to keep from having to deal with the option in the factory. Do you imagine that the price will go down if they make it optional? I do not.

Do you think you would buy the sunroof at the price they would want, which would be traded off vs. audio, leather, PCCB's, etc.? I do not.

Is there a tangible benefit for no sunroof? Weight, headroom, what else? Maybe so, but subtle. Put this down as I do not.

I do not hate the sunroof, and I do not see any benefit from eliminating it. Maybe headroom.

I just figure making it optional will make all the cars cost more and the sunroof is a benefit to sell more cars. Why not make it standard?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I just figure making it optional will make all the cars cost more and the sunroof is a benefit to sell more cars. Why not make it standard?
I have no problem with it being standard. Just give me the option to delete it if I want to, which is what Porsche used to do, even if I have to pay extra for that priviledge. I'm buying a $100K+ car and if I want it without a sunroof, I should be able to buy it that way.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I have no problem with it being standard. Just give me the option to delete it if I want to, which is what Porsche used to do, even if I have to pay extra for that priviledge. I'm buying a $100K+ car and if I want it without a sunroof, I should be able to buy it that way.
Such straightforward reasoning and seemingly good sense... you must be wrong.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I figure the sunroof is there to compete with the BMW. I figure they are giving you the sunroof to keep from having to deal with the option in the factory. Do you imagine that the price will go down if they make it optional? I do not.

Do you think you would buy the sunroof at the price they would want, which would be traded off vs. audio, leather, PCCB's, etc.? I do not.

Is there a tangible benefit for no sunroof? Weight, headroom, what else? Maybe so, but subtle. Put this down as I do not.

I do not hate the sunroof, and I do not see any benefit from eliminating it. Maybe headroom.

As you stated, there is a tangible benefit of more headroom. However, if you are 6' 4"+, it would not be a subtle benefit .
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

especially the 991's sunroof

seems they ripped off the Pontiac G8 or something... really looks good, huh?

Edit; notice the roof completely leaves the car. It may not decrease headroom at all with this design.
Still be ugly and unbefitting a Porsche when open however.

Last edited by allegretto; 08-14-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not knowing... but could it be that there may be issues dealing with setup in the manufacturing process that makes roof delete too much of a PIA or too costly to impliment??
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Not knowing... but could it be that there may be issues dealing with setup in the manufacturing process that makes roof delete too much of a PIA or too costly to impliment??
Seems unlikely, since they are optional in Europe. It's not like they don't have plenty of bodyshells without the hole in the roof.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems unlikely, since they are optional in Europe. It's not like they don't have plenty of bodyshells without the hole in the roof.
+1
Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

If that were the issue, then Porsche would prohibit buyers in CA from ordering other kinds of special options and colors that are rare, unusual, and difficult to resell. They don't.
In my experience, they certainly try to. I've ordered three new Porsches since my 2005 997 in 2004, and it was a struggle on all three to get 'unpopular' configurations. The dealer didn't want to order the 997.1 without navigation and xenons; after a lot of back and forth they finally did order the car. The dealer didn't want to order a 997.2 with sport buckets; they didn't fight as hard, but the December 2008 order was mysteriously delayed, and did not arrive until 2010 models were rolling off the line. I suspect this was to get more potentially profitable cars on the lot sooner. On my Spyder, the dealer did not want to order a car with AC, stripes, and model designation deleted. While they did agree, and provided me a pro-forma, the car showed up with all three. Again, changes were made after the order for maximum dealer profit.

Of course, your experience may be different.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Should be Optional?