Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

before you powder coat your exhaust tips...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm getting tired of the sooted up look that my stainless steel tips get, which, when I wash it, end up a mix of dull steel and darkened bits from soot/cooking.
I can appreciate that.
If you are interested Barkeepers Friend works great on the stock tips.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm getting tired of the sooted up look that my stainless steel tips get, which, when I wash it, end up a mix of dull steel and darkened bits from soot/cooking.

I'm looking to just have the tips ceramic coated with matte black.

What are the good outfits to ship your tips to for quality cleaning and ceramic treatment? (I'm in the Puget Sound region if it matters, but am willing to UPS out my tips for a week.
But... the soot will still accumulate on the tips. They will still need cleaning to look good.

I find the brushed stainless-steel tips very easy to maintain. Just wipe them weekly with a stainless cleaner or a 3M polishing pad.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

My dealer had my tips ceramic coated prior to me taking final delivery...I highly recommend it...and have had no issues going on 5 years.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Where does one go to get a ceramic coating? Do you have to be in a large city?
Try a metal refinishing shop, can be associated with making of custom hot rods. Also call a powder coating shop and ask them for some help to locate a ceramic shop.

These shops usually do jobs in a batch. The items need to be sand blasted to remove the chrome, ceramic applied, and put in a oven. I had to wait about five days for my tips to be completed.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks, Harvey!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But... the soot will still accumulate on the tips. They will still need cleaning to look good.

I find the brushed stainless-steel tips very easy to maintain. Just wipe them weekly with a stainless cleaner or a 3M polishing pad.
True, but if your lazy like me and don't want to be cleaning your exhaust tips but once or twice a year, then they will look better if they are black ceramic covered in black soot vs stainless steel covered in black soot.

I am who I am and that isn't likely to change, so I want to get the car working as best I can with the way I maintain it. (which admittedly isn't as well as I'd like to.. .but then I'd also like to be a whole lot thinner).
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

After I clean the wheels I run the wheel cleaner solution of the day, brush & rag on both the inside & outside of the tips. The outsides clean right up. By cleaning up the inside the exhaust goo doesn't have as much a chance to build up tar on the inside which then "rolls" out onto the outside of the tip. That's how back in the 70's I keep my '66 VW exhaust tip clean. Make sure the area in back of your car is clear when you start it up because that is some nasty staining stuff.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed the advice of a post here last spring on my non-S (standard, single tips) and painted them on the cheap. I took them off the car, sanded them with 400 then 600 grit. Cleaned/degreased well. I used high temp primer followed by 3 thin coats of high temp flat black and they look great (to my eye, mind you). We're having a pretty toasty Florida summer and my 30 mile round trip in city stop and go has resulted in no deterioration at all. $20 and 1 hour total time. I have not been on the track, so this is only a DD "test".
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
I followed the advice of a post here last spring on my non-S (standard, single tips) and painted them on the cheap. I took them off the car, sanded them with 400 then 600 grit. Cleaned/degreased well. I used high temp primer followed by 3 thin coats of high temp flat black and they look great (to my eye, mind you). We're having a pretty toasty Florida summer and my 30 mile round trip in city stop and go has resulted in no deterioration at all. $20 and 1 hour total time. I have not been on the track, so this is only a DD "test".
Yep I agree why waste a lot of money on ceramic coated tips that will also chip off and then you can't fix them with out shipping them back out somewhere.

Hi-Temp exhaust or engine paint looks the same and does a better job....pick flat black, semi-gloss or gloss...your choice and do your prep work.

I did this on my tips 3 years ago and after 22k miles and most of those miles are at Sebring raceway...tips look like I just like new ceramic coat tips...except it only cost me about 1 hr on the weekend and $4 in paint.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
One very hot day at the track literally disintegrated all but about 20% of the coating on my car's tips.

They get ceramic treatment tomorrow.

(many of you may already know this risk, but like everything else here, it's all new to me!)
Which shop in OKC (or proximity) are you having the tips done by?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Superior Concepts in Edmond is subbing it out. Don't know but will find out who does the coating
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM
tho_991
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 991s looking for a aggressive deep exhaust sound, any recommendation?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tho_991
I have a 2014 991s looking for a aggressive deep exhaust sound, any recommendation?
Ask here too -
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

i say ay to mike's method... did the same and 4 years down they still look ceramic coated.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:51 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
One very hot day at the track literally disintegrated all but about 20% of the coating on my car's tips.

They get ceramic treatment tomorrow.

(many of you may already know this risk, but like everything else here, it's all new to me!)
Ceramic coated my PSE tips 2 years ago. pictures attached before and after. The center was already black from the factory and ceramic coated the outside casing of tips. Driven in the summer and winter months in the northeast. Tips still look very good and cleaning is a simple rinsing and drying. No damages to the ceramic coat to date.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: before you powder coat your exhaust tips...