Sponsored by:

Porsche Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I heard this guy was old........older than 75.
I know people older than 75 having fun driving 911s and other sports cars, often with better driving skills than many younger folks. Many will be in Monterey next week.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
I hate to say it, folks, but it doesn't matter what YOU drive -- it matters what the other guy is driving, the circumstances, etc.. Every day we are at our maker's mercy. I just hope today is not your day. RIP, Mr. Wyly. Colin McRae once said, "We are here for a good time, not for a long time." I hope everyone here has a good time while they are still among us. Even the ones who can't resist bringing politics into a very tragic accident. And like I said, it can happen to any of us, in any vehicle, at any time -- enjoy life to its fullest while you can.
I would have to disagree, it does matter what you drive. 3 and a half years ago my wife and I were on our way home from our sons' band competition driving on the PA turnpike NE extension. I was in the right lane, tractor trailer in the left lane doing about the same speed, but with the uphill grade, he was slowing down and I was keeping a steady speed. He never looked, moved over into my lane and PIT manuvered me at 65mph. He turned me sideways in front of him and I proceeded into the concrete barrier seperating the north and south bound lanes. He then grabber the same spot that he hit the first time with the trailer tires on the opposite side and spun me back into the concrete divider and from the into the guard rail on the opposite side of the road. The guard rail was pushed back 3 feet and that was the last thing I hit. I am here today for 1 reason, the car I was in was a Volvo. If I had been in my pick up or SUV, we would not be here today. I can still see the mark I made on the concrete, the green paint was 60 feet long and still visible today.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Partsguy . . . I am very glad you survived! I was in a very bad one being rear-ended in a Miata by a guy driving a Suburban hauling a boat. This all happened because I was trying to avoid (on an eight-lane highway in Southern California) a sleepy trucker that was lazing all the way left into my lane (the fast lane). I had to hit the brakes to avoid being sucked under his last set of four left tires. Because of this, and the guy with the Suburban being in the obviously wrong lane, I suffered greatly, but did survive. The man in the Suburban was spellbound, his wife and kid in tears -- apparently when he had struck my little Miata the force started to push me UNDER the trailer. He said something like, "You must have been Mario Andretti to have pulled out of that. I was seeing death for sure." One week prior I was hoping my life would end. I cried for a long time -- all the way home and then some -- after that.

To this day I have SEVERE back problems -- no surgery yet, but it's coming some day. Point is, it was not my day. Another point is, even if it had been (a very well built car, I might add) Volvo, my life was not in the hands of an auto maker. Nor was it in my own hands. I might argue it was God, but that is beside the point. I still firmly believe that ANY car can cause a fatal accident. You just gotta be careful, Volvo 242 DL, Porsche 911, Mazda Miata . . . doesn't matter.

Just be happy that you are here. Maybe that was my whole point. You, sir, are very lucky to have survived, as was I. I relish in that daily. But I NEVER forget to be on the look out. I've heard of a Yugo (was at one time a fire fighter, moons ago) that caused a semi-truck to over-turn and killed the big rig driver, but the Yugo guy merely had a broken leg.

Never take life for granted, but live the life you have before you. Hope that makes sense without pissing anyone off. Remember, this is all just our collective opinions. I still say it can happen at any time. LIVE LIFE NOW.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ADias
I know people older than 75 having fun driving 911s and other sports cars, often with better driving skills than many younger folks. Many will be in Monterey next week.
I have to agree -- age is not necessarily a mitigating factor. If you've got your wits about you, you should be able to drive. But if you do NOT, you should admit and respect this fact. Too often, folks don't do that. This is why my grandmother is in a care home after backing into her own garage at 85. Okay, so worse things were found out after her incident. But she'd been driving bad for ten years, the poor sweet gal. It just happens. The day I can't drive, I'm selling everything I own and moving to London to ride the tubes.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Partsguy . . . I am very glad you survived! I was in a very bad one being rear-ended in a Miata by a guy driving a Suburban hauling a boat. This all happened because I was trying to avoid (on an eight-lane highway in Southern California) a sleepy trucker that was lazing all the way left into my lane (the fast lane). I had to hit the brakes to avoid being sucked under his last set of four left tires. Because of this, and the guy with the Suburban being in the obviously wrong lane, I suffered greatly, but did survive. The man in the Suburban was spellbound, his wife and kid in tears -- apparently when he had struck my little Miata the force started to push me UNDER the trailer. He said something like, "You must have been Mario Andretti to have pulled out of that. I was seeing death for sure." One week prior I was hoping my life would end. I cried for a long time -- all the way home and then some -- after that.

To this day I have SEVERE back problems -- no surgery yet, but it's coming some day. Point is, it was not my day. Another point is, even if it had been (a very well built car, I might add) Volvo, my life was not in the hands of an auto maker. Nor was it in my own hands. I might argue it was God, but that is beside the point. I still firmly believe that ANY car can cause a fatal accident. You just gotta be careful, Volvo 242 DL, Porsche 911, Mazda Miata . . . doesn't matter.

Just be happy that you are here. Maybe that was my whole point. You, sir, are very lucky to have survived, as was I. I relish in that daily. But I NEVER forget to be on the look out. I've heard of a Yugo (was at one time a fire fighter, moons ago) that caused a semi-truck to over-turn and killed the big rig driver, but the Yugo guy merely had a broken leg.

Never take life for granted, but live the life you have before you. Hope that makes sense without pissing anyone off. Remember, this is all just our collective opinions. I still say it can happen at any time. LIVE LIFE NOW.
Nice post........thank you!

Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
That's wonderful news! I'm 63 and a lot of people tell/ask me how much longer I'll be driving a 911....why don't you switch to a Mercedes S class (and act your age right).

It almost makes me think about that switch (not really but the fact that I'd even give it a thought is annoying enough).

I always tell them I'm in a 911 until I can't drive anymore

Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM
rebattery
Advanced

@ 59 I'm better now, thur life experiences, driving schools, 1 million plus miles & limiting distractions----car phone, eating etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no further details of the accident. But I know the intersection well. It is a divided highway with a stoplight. Someone ran a light, not sure who. Likely Wyly otherwise the media would have reported charges, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't care what they say . . .I'm gonna be buried in my 911, Tom. It's always so hard to, say for instance, see even 63, or 73, or even 43, as "young" until you get to be that age. "Old" will never apply to some of us, no matter how many years we pack in.

EDIT: Just in case someone doesn't get what I was saying . . . which I am good at (confusing people): When I was a teenager, I thought 40 was ancient. When I was thirty I thought anything over 50 seemed up there. Point is, as we age, the definition of "old" or "young" keeps changing.

While our bodies will show some signs of age, it is truly our minds that keep us young. Or old. You choose which you want to be. I have body parts (i.e., my back) that no longer work like they used to. But ask anybody . . . I'm still a child most days.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I always tell them I'm in a 911 until I can't drive anymore.
That makes two of us!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bullit
That makes two of us!!!
Wait a minute, you guys . . . you mean to tell me that after you can't drive any longer, you won't go sit in the garage in the car and make engine noises, kind of like you did when you were kids??? Come on! Where's your imagination? My sight might go, and I might grow to be senile, but I'll always have my imagination. So when you see a ninety year old woman making funny noises from inside of a blue 911, just keep walkin'.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

I don't care what they say . . .I'm gonna be buried in my 911, Tom. It's always so hard to, say for instance, see even 63, or 73, or even 43, as "young" until you get to be that age. "Old" will never apply to some of us, no matter how many years we pack in.

EDIT: Just in case someone doesn't get what I was saying . . . which I am good at (confusing people): When I was a teenager, I thought 40 was ancient. When I was thirty I thought anything over 50 seemed up there. Point is, as we age, the definition of "old" or "young" keeps changing.

While our bodies will show some signs of age, it is truly our minds that keep us young. Or old. You choose which you want to be. I have body parts (i.e., my back) that no longer work like they used to. But ask anybody . . . I'm still a child most days.
I see it the exact same way! It all starts on the inside and I know on the inside i'm still a kid.....and very proud of it!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bullit
That makes two of us!!!
Salud!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Wait a minute, you guys . . . you mean to tell me that after you can't drive any longer, you won't go sit in the garage in the car and make engine noises, kind of like you did when you were kids??? Come on! Where's your imagination? My sight might go, and I might grow to be senile, but I'll always have my imagination. So when you see a ninety year old woman making funny noises from inside of a blue 911, just keep walkin'.
You're right....maybe I'll just climb in beside you and make those noises with you for the PSE affect!

Tom
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

That's my plan, Bonster, except that since I won't be driving it anyway I was planning on bringing the car into my den. Warmer and closer to the john which at 90 will no doubt be significant advantages!

Quick Reply: Porsche Accident