Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

freestyle?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rebattery
freestyle?
It was built on the Ford 500/Volvo XC90/Lincoln MKS platform. P9 or something like that? Weighed about 2 tons. It was actually a well thought out package just bland with a crappy engine...
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I wish I knew which Porsche he was in at the time. Several of the newest ones fair well against some pretty big stuff. But the older stuff is absolutely no match for any SUV. It's hard to beat mass.
Dan, Today's Dallas Morning News states that the Porsche he was driving was a gift from his children 30 years ago....964?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Charles was driving a targa and was t-boned on the drivers side while turning left. The investigation continues. He did a lot for the city of Dallas. RIP.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
The problem is that no matter how safe our cars are, for WHATEVER REASON most of the vehicles on the road are SUVs or trucks having higher center of gravity, so what happens in a crash is that a lower sports car get crushed under those cars hence not very safe in general. The same accident with a sedan would definitely not be as devestating.

I beleive there are some regulations to make sure SUVs have a lower front not to cause such carnage... hope it expands to all modes. Can someone explain to me the whole fascination with SUVs and trucks in North America? I REALLY cannot understand it... even my girlfriend says she WANTS an SUV, because it's higher?! like what does that add to driving experience is beyond me...
I really don't understand either Alex. I can't stand SUVs. I can't stand SUV drivers almost as much too. What is the fascination with being "high up" and feeling "safer"? If you're high up, and your car is so giant, you have a much higher chance of rollover, and tests consistently prove that SUV drivers are the most likely to be involved accidents. Tthough they may not be that severe, well for them at least, depending on what the other persons driving they can live with the guilt of "killing" (for lack of a better word) somebody for the rest of their life. As I said, the world would be a much better place if everyone drove lightweight small cars with a low center of gravity.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullit
Dan, Today's Dallas Morning News states that the Porsche he was driving was a gift from his children 30 years ago....964?
30 years ago would have made it a 1981 911SC Targa. (Prior to the 964 which arrived on the scene in 1989). Today's Carreras are much better built, and with 6 airbags to assist in your protection. There was little protection afforded the occupants in the 1980 until the 964s arrived with 2 airbags.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Because we like to haul a bunch of people, make trips to Costco, tow boats and campers, etc, etc. SUVs and trucks make these tasks possible.

For those that can't stand SUV's, do you not do any of these things? I'm just curious.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Several reports I've read indicate that Mr. Wyly was coming out of a local airport, and making a left turn onto a main road. Mr. Wyly had a stop sign, the Freestyle did not. Sounds to me that, for whatever reason, Mr. Wyly either did not see the Freestyle and pulled out in front of it, or thought that he had enough time to make the turn when in reality he didn't. In either case, he was t-boned on the driver's side. May he rest in peace.

At first glance, from the published reports it does not appear that the SUV did anything wrong.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Because we like to haul a bunch of people, make trips to Costco, tow boats and campers, etc, etc. SUVs and trucks make these tasks possible.

For those that can't stand SUV's, do you not do any of these things? I'm just curious.
It's fashionable in some quarters these days to badmouth SUVs. They are usually city-slickers with a special agenda and few family responsibilities. Like any other vehicle, SUVs fill a niche.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE

Those are valid reasons in some cases, but from my observations, I'd say the majority of SUV owners could satisfy their hauling needs with a lighter and lower vehicle. Many station wagons have more carrying space than SUVs. Many SUV owners never leave paved roads (so don't need AWD), never tow anything (so don't need the weight), and use their huge vehicles mainly to drop kids off at school and go grocery shopping. And for every person that buys a SUV for the space/towing needs, there are many people who admit to buying them because they like to sit high and therefore "feel safer". How come people in other countries can get by without so many of them?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
How come people in other countries can get by without so many of them?
Very simple - people in most other countries pay far more for fuel, so there is little demand for gas-guzzlers.

The Freestyle is not an SUV; it is a Taurus wagon, and was a great alternative to the SUV . However, the public still does not want wagons, so it was dropped.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that SUV's are overkill in most families and that station wagons typically have more hauling capacity.

However, if you have anything to tow (like a heavy boat), an SUV is necessary.

And pick-up trucks are for red necks, rodeo clowns, and farmers (farmers are the only justifiable group to own a pick up).
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Very simple - people in most other countries pay far more for fuel, so there is little demand for gas-guzzlers.

The Freestyle is not an SUV; it is a Taurus wagon, and was a great alternative to the SUV . However, the public still does not want wagons, so it was dropped.
+1. No matter how much they tried to make it look like an SUV it just didn't fly...
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I heard this guy was old........older than 75. I don't know.....pretty cool that as old as he was and as much money as he had......he was driving a 911!

Must've been quite the guy!

RIP

Tom
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Sorry Dan........I didn't see you had posted his age.

Tom

Quick Reply: Porsche Accident