Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wyly, 77, was killed when a Ford Freestyle sport utility vehicle, driven by Genezi Lacereda, 40, of Snowmass Village, struck the Porsche Targa he was driving, according to a news release from the Colorado State Patrol. The other vehicle struck Wyly's Porsche on the driver's side, the patrol said.

Wyly was trying to turn left onto Highway 82 from Airport Road when his vehicle was struck, the patrol said. Lacereda suffered moderate injuries.

"Wyly was transported to Aspen Valley Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after noon.

The State Patrol said both drivers were wearing their seat belts, and neither alcohol nor drugs is a suspected factor in the crash."
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullit
Warmer and closer to the john which at 90 will no doubt be significant advantages!
That's priceless!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster
Wait a minute, you guys . . . you mean to tell me that after you can't drive any longer, you won't go sit in the garage in the car and make engine noises, kind of like you did when you were kids??? Come on! Where's your imagination? My sight might go, and I might grow to be senile, but I'll always have my imagination. So when you see a ninety year old woman making funny noises from inside of a blue 911, just keep walkin'.
We were only talking about the actual driving side of the equation...no question that after the keys were taken away that we would continue to sneak into the garage, sit in the car and make those raspberry-like driving noises like we did as little kids with our Matchbox Porsches....then, naturally, be buried in it too!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I tell ya . . . in fifty years from now, someone's gonna find my car in my garage or something, and it'll be on the front of the Panorama magazine as an antique. Since I don't want that to happen, I think I'll just be buried with it. Wherever I go when I die, this way, at least I'll enjoy the ride!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

That's priceless!
Hey, how did Bullit get credit for my quote?!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hey, how did Bullit get credit for my quote?!
Rut-roh . . .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Wyly, 77, was killed when a Ford Freestyle sport utility vehicle . . .
Thanks for the complete updated story. I hope all involved will find peace soon.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Those are valid reasons in some cases, but from my observations, I'd say the majority of SUV owners could satisfy their hauling needs with a lighter and lower vehicle. Many station wagons have more carrying space than SUVs. Many SUV owners never leave paved roads (so don't need AWD), never tow anything (so don't need the weight), and use their huge vehicles mainly to drop kids off at school and go grocery shopping. And for every person that buys a SUV for the space/towing needs, there are many people who admit to buying them because they like to sit high and therefore "feel safer". How come people in other countries can get by without so many of them?
Please stay in Canada. We don't need more voters like you in the U.S.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Thumbs up

Partsguy . . . I am very glad you survived! I was in a very bad one being rear-ended in a Miata by a guy driving a Suburban hauling a boat. This all happened because I was trying to avoid (on an eight-lane highway in Southern California) a sleepy trucker that was lazing all the way left into my lane (the fast lane). I had to hit the brakes to avoid being sucked under his last set of four left tires. Because of this, and the guy with the Suburban being in the obviously wrong lane, I suffered greatly, but did survive. The man in the Suburban was spellbound, his wife and kid in tears -- apparently when he had struck my little Miata the force started to push me UNDER the trailer. He said something like, "You must have been Mario Andretti to have pulled out of that. I was seeing death for sure." One week prior I was hoping my life would end. I cried for a long time -- all the way home and then some -- after that.

To this day I have SEVERE back problems -- no surgery yet, but it's coming some day. Point is, it was not my day. Another point is, even if it had been (a very well built car, I might add) Volvo, my life was not in the hands of an auto maker. Nor was it in my own hands. I might argue it was God, but that is beside the point. I still firmly believe that ANY car can cause a fatal accident. You just gotta be careful, Volvo 242 DL, Porsche 911, Mazda Miata . . . doesn't matter.

Just be happy that you are here. Maybe that was my whole point. You, sir, are very lucky to have survived, as was I. I relish in that daily. But I NEVER forget to be on the look out. I've heard of a Yugo (was at one time a fire fighter, moons ago) that caused a semi-truck to over-turn and killed the big rig driver, but the Yugo guy merely had a broken leg.

Never take life for granted, but live the life you have before you. Hope that makes sense without pissing anyone off. Remember, this is all just our collective opinions. I still say it can happen at any time. LIVE LIFE NOW.

You are 100% correect and i don't see how that could **** off anyone. I stil live in pain everyday, but I found a good pain management group and have let them do things to me (I'll most likely regret my choice of words here) that I never would have thought about. The treatment involves burning the nerve insulation off of the nerves going to L2, 3 &4 so they do not transfer any of the pain signals. I have the procedure mid afternoon, go home and sleep it off and the next day 98% of the pain is gone (or not felt at least). The nerve casing does grow back so releif is not permanent, but with some pills I can function normally. I can say I look at big trucks differently these days. I choose my passing points and get past them as quick at possible. This is why I have decieded to buy a 996 now instead of later.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I'm in Dallas and I'm not politically astute enough to judge others. As far as human beings, these gents were nice people. This is a tragedy. Looking at the roads in Co, I had always wondered how great it would be to drive my Porsche around there. Because we are so used to driving these cars we forget how nimble and small they are. Unfortunately, others can miss seeing Porsches very easily. May God bless his soul.

Quick Reply: Porsche Accident