Sponsored by:

2008 997 first service

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 997 first service

What is included in the first service? My car just hit 20k miles, and I only had the oil change done on the car when it hit 11k miles. Now my dashboard says I need to have the car serviced. I didn't do a routine 12k miles service, and I would have thought that the dealer reset the system so that the next service button would flash at 24k miles.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
What is included in the first service? My car just hit 20k miles, and I only had the oil change done on the car when it hit 11k miles. Now my dashboard says I need to have the car serviced. I didn't do a routine 12k miles service, and I would have thought that the dealer reset the system so that the next service button would flash at 24k miles.
No, twenty thousand is the normal service mileage. I don't have the receipt handy but collectively we can get it from memory. Oil change, cabin filter replacement, coolant flush and... memory fails. I also paid for a brake fluid flush because it's been two years and brake fluid absorbs water aggressively. The wiper blades were oxidized so I had those replaced as well. Our desert climate might have let me wait on the former, but it speeds the latter, so it's probably a push and easier to do them both while I was at the rather distant dealer.

What am I forgetting?

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 AM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
No, twenty thousand is the normal service mileage. I don't have the receipt handy but collectively we can get it from memory. Oil change, cabin filter replacement, coolant flush and... memory fails. I also paid for a brake fluid flush because it's been two years and brake fluid absorbs water aggressively. The wiper blades were oxidized so I had those replaced as well. Our desert climate might have let me wait on the former, but it speeds the latter, so it's probably a push and easier to do them both while I was at the rather distant dealer.

What am I forgetting?

Gary
The service light came up around at 17k miles or so. Do you happen to remember how much? If it was a lot, I'm sure you would remember. I think on my last 996, it was around $600. I'm thinking of taking the car to a independent shop since first service is mostly a lubricant job.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

20K mile service on my -06 C4S was $225.68 (Suncoast, Sarasota). Basically just an oil change since both air filters were good and everything else checked out too. With an -08 they could start talking about spark plugs depending on when your car entered service. Some people say 60K miles but my SM said 60K miles or 4 years whichever comes first. This would add about $350 to the tab if memory serves.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The service light came up around at 17k miles or so. Do you happen to remember how much? If it was a lot, I'm sure you would remember. I think on my last 996, it was around $600. I'm thinking of taking the car to a independent shop since first service is mostly a lubricant job.
Yeah, it was something like that. Hang on, I'll go dig out the receipt. Okay: the basic 20k mile service was 486.51, 57.44 to install new wiper blades, and 208.54 to change the brake fluid which is recommended at two years but not a warranty issue. My total for all three was $776.16 including California sales tax.

That was at Walter's in Riverside, California, and I'm fairly sure a couple of calls will get you prices at least that good at many other places in Southern California. In other areas, ask fellow owners first so you know what price is reasonable to ask for when you make the appointment. I think list on those three items was a hundred or so higher, but I asked for their best price by phone "to save me a drive to the next closest dealer" and they provided that price in advance.

That was my first visit to that dealer. That price is probably the same as I could have gotten as a regular customer by applying those 'coupon' invitation letters they send out. Usually, I've found that true regulars are given those discounts automatically. The letters are really just reminders, but it's a price they're willing to give you if a first-timer asks ahead of time.

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Cut, Pasted and Edited from a 2009 Post:

Printout from the dealer for my old 2008 C2S (and the list is in the Service Manual that came with the car)

Minor Maintenance - Labor ops. 03 24 00 . . . see technical manual (after 12k, 48K 814K 120K, etc. miles. If mileage not reached must be performed no later than after 1,4,7, etc. years)

1. Diagnose system: Read fault memory; reset maintenance interval/Read and record range info on R.O.
2. Change engine oil and filter
3. Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasions (lines and hoses); Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage.
4. Coolant hoses: Check condition. Radiators and air intakes: Visual inspection for external debris and blockage. Coolant: Check level and antifreeze.
5. Pollen filter: replace filter element.
6. Brake system: Visual inspection of brake pads and brake discs for wear
7. Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion
8. Drive shafts: Visual inspection of dust boots for leaks and damage
9. Tires: Check condition and tire pressure
10. Check firewall and cabrio section body drains for debris
11. Check the door, lids locks and safety hook of the front lid for secure seating and function properly
12. Vehicle lighting: Check functions. All headlights: Check setting
13. Horn: Check function
14.Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings (use winter anti-freeze protection during winter months)
15. Battery: Check condition and electrolyte level
16. Electrical equipment,warning and indicator lights: Check function

"The terms "check" and "inspection" include all necessary subsequent work such as adjusting, readjusting, correcting and topping off, but do not include repairing, replacing and reconditioning parts and assemblies.

Porsche of Livermore quote, circa 2009, was $499.95.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These "package" maintenance schedule always includes dozens of "checks." "Check horn? tire pressure?" I mean come on! I can honk my horn and look at my TPMS myself.

Go in with specific job that needs to be done and get a quote, such as oil/filter, brake fluid bleed, etc.

Quick Reply: 2008 997 first service