Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer hit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch! Like you said, glad no one was hurt. It's only a car and can be repaired.

Originally Posted by krysFly
Baby deer are delicious. Was the carcass recoverable?
lol, A friend of mine hit a deer on the highway and killed it instantly, his pickup truck front bumper was smashed. He was going to drive away, then decided to throw the deer in the back of the truck. He said, the deer cost his a lot of money, he has to make it up somehow.

Was out driving through the foothills today and saw a baby deer close the street, there are a lot of deers around my area as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit one last winter at -18C on a black ice covered road in my wife's Merc. They do a lot of damage. Deer just trotted away unhurt, as I'd managed to carefully lose some speed. Was still picking hairs out of the radiator six months later.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hit one in 1968 in my new Vet and hit another in 2009 in my 87 Westy, enough already!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
[QUOTEWas pretty mad, but no one was hurt. Hard to say this but, it is only a car.
Sounds like the deer was hurt. If you hit a child at 55mph and no one in the car was hurt in the car would you say the same thing. Humans![/QUOTE]

Are you equating humans and deer? I hope you are kidding.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Not trying to have my story outdo everyone here, but in early 80s my fried restored a Fiat 131 Mirafiori—did a nice job, the thing looked really good. Kept it in good condition, too. And if you know Fiats, that is hard to do. Nonetheless, on rural country roads in upstate NY, where deer is widespread, but we somehow managed never to hit one, my fried finds a cow in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. Mooooooo! And the car was history. Luckily he wasn’t hurt. The Farmer even tried to sue my fried for his loss, but the district attorney would not take the case because, well, you know, the cow was pasteurizing in the middle of the road, and not on his land.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're ok, the regular front bump is relatively inexpensive compared to other bumpers. Also, try e-bay for OEM bumper...
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had some close calls with deer but luckily have never hit one.

Tip: deer are often transfixed by headlights and will stand there while a car plows into them. If you see a deer in your path, I suggest turning the headlights OFF and laying on the horn. To the deer the transfixing lights are gone replace by some noisy thing coming right at them. They run fast in such a situation. At least in my experience. YMMV
Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hitting something on my bike is 1 of my biggest fears. Thats why i dont ride at nite anymore.
BTW there are soo many abandoned baby deer here in the drought ridden Texas. Sad.

Good luck
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Doesn't look too bad. Don't get me wrong it looks bad enough. I see some fluids under the bumper. Radiator? A/C condensor? There's probably some sheet metal damage under the softer body pieces.

Check out what a larger (mule) deer can do to a car...

No chassis/tub damage but the bumper cover, fender, trunk cover, radiator, A/C condensor, vapor recovery system, tire, wheel (refinisher ruined wheel), and paint work drove the repair cost to over $25K.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This looks exactly like what happened to a C4S I was test driving last year when a lady in a pickup truck ran a stop sign. I made it a whole 3 blocks from the dealership when that happened. The salesman advised me not to buy that car.

Originally Posted by Macster
Doesn't look too bad. Don't get me wrong it looks bad enough. I see some fluids under the bumper. Radiator? A/C condensor? There's probably some sheet metal damage under the softer body pieces.

Check out what a larger (mule) deer can do to a car...

No chassis/tub damage but the bumper cover, fender, trunk cover, radiator, A/C condensor, vapor recovery system, tire, wheel (refinisher ruined wheel), and paint work drove the repair cost to over $25K.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 AM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always take a hammer to headlight and pretend you're Hank Moody. I hope there are some Californiacation fans out there!

I am sorry to hear/see what the deer did your car but at least you're not hurt and the car is still alive.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found that gunning the PSE unfreezes them and sends them scattering.

Quick Reply: Deer hit