Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly picking up a used '07 997S...help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM
bsmack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly picking up a used '07 997S...help!

Firstly, let me just say that I've always been a huge fan of Porsches. I'm sure that's a given, seeing as I'm posting here. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight as to my potential future purchase.

I am currently choosing between an Audi TT-RS (which I have a deposit on and am waiting for the car to come in) and a used '07 Porsche Carrera S with 32,000 miles on the clock. I've done the math, and while the Porsche is $11k cheaper at $55,900, that $11k would end up in a beater since it wouldn't be favorable to drive the Porsche in the winter. Since both options will essentially cost me the same give or take a couple grand, this is both the hardest and funnest decision I've ever had to make. With that said, I have a few questions to ask:

-$55,900. Good price? They've come down from $58,904.
-According to carfax, the car was serviced at 10,000, 15,800, and 28,000 miles. Is this normal or should it have been serviced more?
-What glaring issues should I check for? I walked around the car carefully today and I would say the amount of blemishes it has for a car with 32,000 miles is fair and will get fixed by the dealer anyways.
-What are your opinions? I know there will obviously be some bias here, and I have yet to drive the audi, but I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Finally, here are pics of the car:
Name:  euAiA.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  136.8 KB
Name:  Krexq.jpg
Size:  88.3 KB
Name:  KedIR.jpg
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  t3O99.jpg
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  wCl1j.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  134.5 KB
Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

It would be good to invest in a PPI from a reputable Porsche mechanic - also get the DME report that lists ignitions in the over-rev ranges. This report is readable with diagnostics software that dealers and enthusiasts commonly have.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

If you're buying from a Porsche dealer, have them CPO the car. That way should any issues arrive you'll be covered for two years. It will cost you about $2500. If they won't CPO the car there's a reason.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

option list looks short, so what are the options? doesn't seem to have sport chrono, is it manual or tip? sticker says it has a warranty, is it a CPO?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto in getting a CPO and even if you do ask the dealer for a DME read out before you purchase. I think that in general the 07 is a good model year. However, I had a significant amount of trouble with my O7 C2 soon after I purchased it from the dealer. I purchased it with 18kmiles and a CPO but had a serious set of clutch and transmission issues that became manifest soon after I purchased it. Transmission was out of the car three times within the first two months. Two different dealerships, one of them "premiere", and a Porsche regional rep puzzled on it replaced the throw out bearing twice and the pilot bearing as well, and finally tore down the transmission (Japanese) to find two faulty bearings. Saw them with my own eyeballs. No amount of CPO coverage can make up for the frustration. Porsche wanted to replace the parts, I wanted a new transmission. Based on the DME readout, I think the car had been abused as a child even if it still qualified for Porsche's much touted CPO. Pay for a pre purchase inspection even if it is offered with a certified warranty.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
If you're buying from a Porsche dealer, have them CPO the car. That way should any issues arrive you'll be covered for two years. It will cost you about $2500. If they won't CPO the car there's a reason.
According to the sticker in the front window it is CPO.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
bsmack
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mattyf
option list looks short, so what are the options? doesn't seem to have sport chrono, is it manual or tip? sticker says it has a warranty, is it a CPO?
These are the options:
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
670 - Navigation for PCM
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
342 - Heated Front Seats
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

It's a manual. Car is already CPO'd.

EDIT: Would you guys consider purchasing an '08 with less miles that isn't CPO'd? It's from a non-porsche dealership, so I don't even know if it's possible to do.

Last edited by bsmack; 08-05-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
garage1
Advanced

easy call. grab the 997.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located? Snow tires on the 911 do well except in the deep stuff.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
bsmack
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Where are you located? Snow tires on the 911 do well except in the deep stuff.
I'm in Massachusetts...the deep stuff you're referring to we probably see anywhere from 5-10 times a winter. Add that up with the salt all over the road and the poor little Porsche will get beat to hell
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
jason74
Instructor

If you get the TT RS, you're going to need snow tires also. Follow above advice, get this 911S. Grab some snow tires and make everyone else's long, dark winter a little brighter when they see you busting past all of the overweight, high COG SUV's.

Tirerack has a 'snow package' for about $1800 for rims and tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

No sense in owning a beater just to put yours to sleep for 5 months. I live in MA and have enjoyed swapping out my summer tires every November and running through the snow without any issues. Unless you live way out in the sticks where the plows rarely go, you will find that a 911 with snow tires performs far better than most other cars on the road in the snow. As far as salt goes, Porsche has the best galvanized steel in the business and the longest rust-through warranty. Keep her waxed and washed and she will look beautiful in 5 years. Mine does.

So in short...get the 911.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
bsmack
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JW911
No sense in owning a beater just to put yours to sleep for 5 months. I live in MA and have enjoyed swapping out my summer tires every November and running through the snow without any issues. Unless you live way out in the sticks where the plows rarely go, you will find that a 911 with snow tires performs far better than most other cars on the road in the snow. As far as salt goes, Porsche has the best galvanized steel in the business and the longest rust-through warranty. Keep her waxed and washed and she will look beautiful in 5 years. Mine does.

So in short...get the 911.
You drive yours year round? Wow...definitely conflicts with my perception. The more I read about sports cars in the winter the more it makes sense. Seems like the ride is uncomfortable compared to an econobox but that in turn will make your reactions better to changing conditions.

EDIT: One thing I did notice when inside the car yesterday is the wing makes a lot of noise when going up/down. Is this normal?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the wing, it is common and an easy fix with some silicon lubricant sprayed into the access holes in the struts for the wing. Spray in, lower and raise the wing, repeat until no more noise.

On year round, it isn't a problem except in deep snow, and if you want to buy a set of wheels (18 inch) with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (used, have less than one winter to go in your region), PM me. I sold my '07 997S this week and now have the wheels/tires for sale (along with another set of 19 lobster forks for the car).

Enjoy the car, they are great!

Mike
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Given that is it summer (peak season) that price is in the right range. I don't think it's a 'stellar deal', but you're not getting ripped off.

It's missing a few of the more desirable options, eg sport chrono, power seats, leather, so use that to your negotiating advantage.

Quick Reply: Possibly picking up a used '07 997S...help!