Sponsored by:

Help, please - Passenger airbag warning light

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, please - Passenger airbag warning light

I am having an intermittant issue while driving with a passenger. The dash warning says - check passenger settings - and the passenger seat airbag off light illuminates - which normally happens when I put an object on the passenger seat.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Please describe the symptoms more. When you place heavy objects upon the passenger seat the air bag warning light SHOULD be coming on, signifying that it is disabling the air bag since there is no passenger in the seat.

Are you suggesting that it goes on when a full weight passenger is in the seat?

The reason it's intermittent is because there are four sensors on that seat--one at each corner. It's rather sophisticated. Together, they decide if the load in the seat needs protecting with an air bag. If one or more of the sensors is defective then you have a real problem.

My entire seat base was replaced under warranty some time ago (April 2009) when one of the sensors went bad.

I hope this helps to shed some light upon this subject.
Attached Images    
Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Dan, you are the best! OK - so it does activate when a large object is on the seat - my issue is when that object is a passenger and after some time with no light or warning, all of a sudden, the light activates and the warning on the dash says - check passenger settings. Your explanation makes me wonder if the passenger could position themselves in a way that fools the sensors - it happened when my wife was on her side, sleeping at least one time.

But it also happened when she was not in any unusual position and once on, it did not turn off.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I imagine the system is designed to not enable the airbag when it may be a risk such as very light passengers such as children in car seats and the like. If the weight of the person is right on that borderline that determines if its a full adult (enable airbags) or child/object (disable airbags) the system could be sensitive the positioning of the passenger in the seat.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 AM
SportCars
4th Gear

Had the same issue after a recent road trip. My passenger left a water bottle under the passenger seat that somehow was triggering the sensor. Once removed everything went back to normal
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

These things are very sensitive. Definitely check beneath the seat for odd items.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportCars
Had the same issue after a recent road trip. My passenger left a water bottle under the passenger seat that somehow was triggering the sensor. Once removed everything went back to normal
Found a water bottle, my phone charger, a sleeve of golf ***** and my Oakley sunglasse. Situation normal again
Thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PICTURE ADDED
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2022, 08:47 AM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

mine’s broken airbag light and I may need to replace the whole thing due to a probably bad sensor. any leads?
Old 05-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Just search for odds and ends under the seat that may have influenced it negatively. Two issues are going on here. They are highly sensitive, but on the positive side, Porsche’s subcontractors build good stuff well. It is doubtful that it is failing. If necessary, this is a good time to visit a dealer with an analyzer. It will isolate the problem faster than trying to do a regular troubleshoot. That’s why they invented those analyzers!
The following users liked this post:
vokain (05-20-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:20 PM
gdb911
4th Gear

All, I have a different problem. I get the same warning light with NO Passenger. Anyone else seen that?

TIA
Old 05-26-2022, 08:42 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gdb911
All, I have a different problem. I get the same warning light with NO Passenger. Anyone else seen that?

TIA
right, I have the airbag light without a passenger. Also when there is a passenger. They say I need to replace the seat frame to get new sensors

Quick Reply: Help, please - Passenger airbag warning light