Sponsored by:

to start or not to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default to start or not to start

a question i would like to share... When we do not use our cars for a long period of time, is it better to start it for a short while or just leave it as is connected to the battery maintainer? i have practiced to start the car and let it idle for a few minutes with the A/c on just to get things lubricated with the engine and ac system. However i am concerned now that starting just lets the oil absorb the moisture and since the oil does not get hot then...you know what i mean... Whats your idea?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to not start. I just visit every week.
It's a long cold winter...
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's a battery maintainer?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You do more damage with running it for a short while. It's best to always drive it rather than to idle it.

A battery maintainer is a trickle charger--with a more sophisticated brain to regulate power input and cycling a charge.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Don't start it up for a short time. It needs to get up to operating temperature.

Just drive it - that's why they make snow tires!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You do more damage with running it for a short while. It's best to always drive it rather than to idle it.

A battery maintainer is a trickle charger--with a more sophisticated brain to regulate power input and cycling a charge.
+1, just leave it on a tickle charger if you don't plan to drive it. I used to store my vehicles during the winter but Colorado has many nice days in the winter, we get 70 to 80 degrees in the middle of December sometimes. I try to drive it at least once a week during the winter.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
bbbradley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stored my summer car for the past 11 winters and used the same technique every year.

1) Fresh oil and filter
2) Full tank of gas
3) Slightly over inflate tires
4) Wash, wax, vac
5) Pull the battery and store in a heated basement (garage is under the house, but still fluctuates in temps)
6) Go skiing and wait 'til spring when I have a "new" car to unwrap after ~4 months.

Either drive it or store it, don't try to split the difference.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is so depressing, like hearing how someone has to abstain from sex for several months each year.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

seems like the nays have it
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
a question i would like to share... When we do not use our cars for a long period of time, is it better to start it for a short while or just leave it as is connected to the battery maintainer? i have practiced to start the car and let it idle for a few minutes with the A/c on just to get things lubricated with the engine and ac system. However i am concerned now that starting just lets the oil absorb the moisture and since the oil does not get hot then...you know what i mean... Whats your idea?
Define 'long period of time'.

There is some benefit to starting the engine and running it a while and to turning on the A/C and working the various vent/temp controls.

Roughly I have observed it takes 15 minutes of idling my 03 Turbo to get the oil hot enough to check the oil. (I have 'observed' this with a data logger in the car when I have taken the car in for an oil/filter change and the tech lets the engine run long enough to get the engine hot enough to check the oil level which is hot enough to drain the oil.)

Even if you let the engine run 15 minutes the oil probably will not get hot enough to remove the water.

However, if you prepare the car properly the oil is fresh so it has no water in it nor does it have any unburned fuel. Also, there are no combustion byproducts to combine with (absent) water to create acids.

And running the engine a few times over a long period of not using the car will not add that much water to the oil.

Thus I would suggest you consider running the engine a few times while the car is essentially tucked away for the winter.

How often? Well, it depends but a rough rule would be every 30 days. I do not think I'd run the engine more often than every 30 days so 30 days or maybe every 36 days is about right. Depends upon how long the car's going to be tucked away. I'd pick an interval that has the engine started and run say 2 to 3 times.

Park the car up and then 30 days later start the engine and let it idle and while it is idling work the A/C and heater controls. Be sure you shut off the A/C and yet continue to let the cabin fan run to dry the A/C evaporator and vent passages before turning off the engine.

Also, once the engine is warmer you can raise the rpms a bit. No need to race the engine but raise the rpms to 2K and hold for a few moments. Before you shut off the engine though let the rpms return to idle and let the engine idle for one to two minutes.

Then 30 days later repeat.

Remember too when you take the car out in the spring the first drive at least should be of sufficient time and length so that the engine gets fully up to temp and the oil ditto and the bit of water will boil away. The engine crankcase runs under lower than atmospheric pressure so the oil does not have to get to 212F in order for the water to boil away. Best if you can do it is to make this first drive sans the A/C at least for a while to help the engine get warmer quicker and to remain hotter than it would with the A/C running. The A/C on means the radiator fans run all the time and the engine coolant temp and oil temp will remain lower than they would with the A/C off.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: to start or not to start