Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes to GTS no to Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I actually just did a test of a Cayman R vs a GTS for Excellence. Here at Starbucks doing final editing to hand it in to the editor tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blakt out
Congrats! I actually just did a test of a Cayman R vs a GTS for Excellence. Here at Starbucks doing final editing to hand it in to the editor tomorrow.
Lucky you! Hope I don't have to kick myself for my decision. Different cars at different price points but both are very capable. Can't wait to read the article. What issue will it be in?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
blakt out
Instructor

Definitely won't have to kick yourself for your decision. It's a wonderful, WONDERFUL car. I can't give too much out though, but I'm not sure what issue. Editor decides that!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blakt out
Great magazine! The name surely fits!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Awesome choice.

Its funny how you went from a GT3 to a GTS. People would say that the progression should go the other way? But i like that you picked what works best for you. I am the same way. No need for a race car or 900hp cars --- i just like to cruise and drive a car for my own reasons --- not other peoples. Bravo!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Sorry, I pre-traded it to secure my trade value. It sucked being without a Porsche for a while, but it made me appreciate how truly special these cars are. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I congratulate you on your new purchase! But if it were me (and I love the 2010 GT3), I simply would have kept the 2010 GT3 until the seeing the 991 GT3. I'd never assume that I would like the newer model better by default.

Also, the GTS will depreciate as well. If anything, I suspect the GT3 would have held its value better. Can't argue with picking a GTS over the Cayman R though.

Anyway, that's just me. I'm sure you made the right decision for yourself. Enjoy, that's a beautiful car!!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
Awesome choice.

Its funny how you went from a GT3 to a GTS. People would say that the progression should go the other way? But i like that you picked what works best for you. I am the same way. No need for a race car or 900hp cars --- i just like to cruise and drive a car for my own reasons --- not other peoples. Bravo!!!
Thanks. I love cars, especially Porsches and it's nice to be able to enjoy a different flavor now and then. Some of my friends didn't understand my previous decision to buy a Cayman R after a GT3, but I thought, and still do think, that it's an awesome car. I wanted to play with it. The GTS covers a lot of areas, speed, comfort, handling, and it has that iconic 911 styling. Hell, I love Boxsters and Cayman's too and never seem to understand why some folks tend to look down on them as "lesser" cars. They stand on their own and are fine, exciting, and accomplished automobiles. I've said it before that learning to drive well is the key, and if DE's have taught me anything it's not to rely on your supposedly "superior" car because that bubble is going to burst real quick when a good driver passes your superior smart ***. That lucky guy in the 356 is having just as much fun as you on that weekend drive too.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently had the opportunity to drive the Cayman R at a Porsche Driving Event, it's a very capable car. IMO it handles better than the 911. It felt more planted, you point to where it wants to go and it gets there. The PSE sounded great, sounded faster than the 911's lol. I think both are great choices. Here is a pic of the car I drove.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
I recently had the opportunity to drive the Cayman R at a Porsche Driving Event, it's a very capable car. IMO it handles better than the 911. It felt more planted, you point to where it wants to go and it gets there. The PSE sounded great, sounded faster than the 911's lol. I think both are great choices. Here is a pic of the car I drove.

Where did you do the Porsche Driving Event? I did mine at Fontana, CA.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Where did you do the Porsche Driving Event? I did mine at Fontana, CA.
Pike's Peak Int'l Raceway in Fountain Colorado. It was worth the 1.5 hour drive to get there.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
Pike's Peak Int'l Raceway in Fountain Colorado. It was worth the 1.5 hour drive to get there.
I only had a 15 minute drive but had a really good time! Glad you did too!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Couple of more pics. I wouldn't have ordered some of the options, like nav or the red gauges or sport chrono, but they are starting to grow on me. I do love the sport suspension and the nav is nice. Lots of content and at my level they sure won't slow me down. I do like the standard wheels after having had and been through the recent drama of the C/L wheels.
Really sweet--great options. Enjoy it!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also be on board with a GTS over a Cayman R, except for the very disappointing road test Car and Driver just had on a new GTS coupe. First, it was heavy: 3430 lbs without driver. That is not much less than the Turbo S they tested, only 61 lbs more. Very surprising for a car without 4WD. The Cayman R they tested was 3076 lbs by comparison. Despite the chunky weight, this was little of the story why the GTS test was disappointing. It is simply all the numbers across the board were lower than the Cayman R they tested:

0-60 Cayman R 4.2 GTS 4.3
0-100 Cayman R 10.2 GTS 10.3
1/4 mile Cayman R 12.7@111 GTS 12.8@110
braking 70-0 Cayman R 149 GTS 158
skidpad Cayman R 1.00g GTS 0.96g

While the GT3 cleaned up against the Cayman R in the comparison test, with this recent test the Cayman R would clean up against a GTS. Maybe it is just this one test car that is a dud, but with 2200 miles it should have been broken in.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Thats interesting. I'll have to buy that Car & Driver.

By all accounts then the Cayman R will out perform a Carrera S. That surprises me.

From the guys I have spoken too that have a GT3 or had them and now have a GTS all say they are "drivers difference" cars but the GTS is more practical for the real world.

I'd put more stock in what Excellence has to say about the GTS vs. Cayman R then Car & Driver.

I was on the fence with the GT3. It is just not as versitile as the GTS or practical. Since I do 0 track work and use my car as a DD it made no sense to pay extra for hard core track car. I love the GT3 but the GTS is 8/10ths GT3 and form me I didn't need the other 2/10ths track focus.

When is the Excellence issue with the GTS vs. Cayman R hitting the stands? Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Yes to GTS no to Cayman R