Sponsored by:

bridgestone potenze S-04 pole position

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jason74
So, I put the S-04 on my rears and they are a very nice improvement in noise and smoothness over the RE050's.

Now, I've noticed something strange with them. First, the tire doesn't 'look' as wide from the rear. Secondly, when I removed the tires the first time, I was surprised when the inside of the rim hit the floor instead of the rubber lip. The tire is the same 295 as the RE050, but I suspect the S-04 is somehow narrower.

Anyone notice this?
Quick clarification. You only got em on the rear? Did u see the other thread about mix/match front and rear tires?

You can look at Tirerack spec sheet to compare exact width of tires between RE050 and S04.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Quick clarification. You only got em on the rear? Did u see the other thread about mix/match front and rear tires?

You can look at Tirerack spec sheet to compare exact width of tires between RE050 and S04.
Good reference. The width on the 050 is actually wider overall. That would explain my experience and observations.

I did gently chime in on the other thread as I would have been forum skewered had I posted my thoughts on the subject!

I have 050's on the front that have a lot of tread and I couldn't justify discarding them. I drive 23k miles per year and so tire expense is something I pay attention to and wanted the longer wear factors of the S-04. I've had absolutely no untoward effects in my experience. When I pulled out of Discount tire after mounting, I knew the slick stuff was on there and intentionally did a reeeeaaaaal nice powerslide to scrub them in! I'm heading to the track next weekend. If I wreck the car and feel the mixed tires were at fault, I'll post it here! If I don't notice a difference, I'll probably just keep it to myself...

Quick Reply: bridgestone potenze S-04 pole position