Sponsored by:

what brand of gas do you use

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Thanks, no Exxon or Mobil? I have a BP and Shell locally.
I can't think of any Exxon, Mobil, or BP around here. Shell is common but not close to me. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the major brands while travelling.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I can't think of any Exxon, Mobil, or BP around here. Shell is common but not close to me. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the major brands while travelling.
Me neither.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
MB and PCNA recommend Top Tier gas for a reason...

Ahh, there's the secret. There's magic in knowing the truth behind WHY they might recommend it. Don't be disappointed if in the process of seeking an answer, you are offered nothing scientific. That's the nature of marketing, and possibly in this case, marketing alliances. The whole Tier game in gasoline has a certain element of snob appeal, which reflects well (to the right demographic) on the manufacturers and refiners who participate. (all high-end outfits with high-end prices)

Of course these are my opinions. But I don't believe that 32 ounces of any substance added to 8,500 gallons of fuel at any octane, will result in (a) a markedly superior fuel, or (b) a fuel worth a nickel more per gallon at the pump.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mainly BP, 93 octane, Pure Gas, no ethanol.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I shop for ethanol free gas, regardless of the brand. I would rather have gas not contaminated by ethanol than a "top tier" brand.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Porsche seems to love Shell 93. It seems to want to go to the station twice as much as my BMW does.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

As others, Shell 93. Ive tried chevron, exxon, sunoco but it seems like my local shell(northern Va area) is very consistent and i get the best mileage with their gas..
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Sunoco 93. I was at a PCA event with a Porsche motorsports rep that builds race engines and he swears by the stuff.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Jok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all seem to be from the USA. In the UK all Porsche lovers use higher octanes. I've always used Shell V-Power 99 octane..
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM
aproo
Intermediate

Same as Jok, its Shell V-Power or Caltex Chevron for me. I tend to alternate at times.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Just as an FYI, more octane does not equate to more power. Once you achieve the requirements set forth by manufacturer - more octane does not do anything more for you.

Read all you can about octane here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Even in different parts of the US we have different ratings - most likely because of elevation. In the coastal part of Texas we have 87, 89 and 93 as the most offered combination. The article also highlights detergents etc and their effect on octane ratings.

The US has only so many refineries and most make gas for many different companies - in the end, the additives are what separate a chevron from an Exxon/Mobil, etc.

What most dont really know is that your local Wal-Mart of grocery store get gas from the same wholesale distributors. They get the gas that did not pass the "sample test", but could have been Chevron or Exxon gas.

Just my .02... It's your car, so ultimately you have to be comfortable with what you fill it with.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
am722
Drifting

Diesel. Worst **** I can find. Mixed with Code Blue Mountain Dew if I don't have the cash for a full tank.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
don't know whose minimums you are referring to, but every drop that comes out of the terminal meets EPA minimums. Additional additives are then added by some brands in order to differentiate their fuel offer (otherwise known as a commodity--for a reason). Top Tier, Techron, etc are nothing more than marketing ploys.

Believe me, when somebody develops a gasoline that is better for your vehicle, whether it makes your engine last longer or gets you better fuel efficiency, you will hear about it on the NEWS. That would be a truly newsworthy event, given that every adult driver has money in their pockets, and the news channels' objective is to reach CONSUMERS.

Otherwise the only place you will be hearing about fancy/superior/newfangled fuels is in the major brand marketing programs/materials. A very interesting story would be the truth behind the alliance between select auto manufacturers and refiners in the marketing of "Top Tier" fuels. It's all smoke and mirrors.
A fuel test in the UK found that supermarket gases varied quite a bit because the supermarket relied upon various refiners for fuel and the test results were inconsistent. Sometimes the supermarket fuel worked pretty good other times not so much.

While we are talking about USA gas I suspect the same holds true here. Safeway, Wal-Mart and other retailers with gasoline outlets probably shop for the cheapest gas around and while it I'm sure meets EPA (or some other agency standards) is probably near the bottom in this regard.

I have noticed that when I run say Rotten Robbie or USA gas in my 02 Boxster the check engine light has a tendency to come on more readily. It is the same error P0430 which a weak converter. But when I stick with Shell (and there are few stations around that have competitive prices) under the same weather and driving conditions the check engine light stays off.

I noticed this when gas prices were so frickin high a while back and I started resorting to cheaper priced gas as during this time the price difference was 10 cents a gallon or a bit more.

My Turbo gets Shell or some other top brand name gas always.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

ours is a mostly independent market, but the major brands refine the product that is sold here. There's a very real chance that the brand you buy isn't refined by the brand you buy. What happens to fuel once it reaches retailer's storage tanks can certainly be a difference-maker. Bottom line is you should only buy fuel from reputable people who you know take pride in the quality of their products, and who stand behind them always.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
jpowers
Racer

Chevron, Shell, Texaco in that order.

Quick Reply: what brand of gas do you use