Sponsored by:

what brand of gas do you use

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Not BP,that is the one brand service writers across the board told me to avoid especially in winter !
Old 07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
We still have Shell in Southern Idaho, but it's now usually polluted with ethanol. On the positive side it's 93 octane. Recently the local Chevron's have gone to 93 octane NON-ethanol. Quite interesting as we are over 4000 feet altitude and until a few months ago only 91 octane was available.
I'd love to find NON-ethanol in MA or CA. In MA, there is no Chevron. In CA, there is a Chevron station nearby but I'm not sure if it's NON-ethanol or not. I'm in MA now but I'll check when I go back to CA in Oct.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately there are no non-ethanol stations in Ma. or Ct.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I'd love to find NON-ethanol in MA or CA. In MA, there is no Chevron. In CA, there is a Chevron station nearby but I'm not sure if it's NON-ethanol or not. I'm in MA now but I'll check when I go back to CA in Oct.
I don't think anyone in CA is selling non-ethenol gas for general use. Union 76 was using MTBE a few years back but they switched to ethanol when CA banned MTBE due to groundwater contamination issues.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shell V power 93.

Just sidetrack a little, Techron works, at least for me on my BMW's. I know BMW is among the few who established the "top tier detergent gasoline." standards. I don't have many Chevrons around where I live. So I use the concentrate.

The cars that I have are 335i Msport coupe 6MT, and 535xiT wagon. Both have the same engines. Both never had any fuel pump issues, no injector issues, and no rough idles. I use it every 3,000miles with an empty tank. And there is a noticable difference in power and smoothness of the engine. Or it could be just in my head.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Shell V power 93.

Just sidetrack a little, Techron works, at least for me on my BMW's. I know BMW is among the few who established the "top tier detergent gasoline." standards. I don't have many Chevrons around where I live. So I use the concentrate.

The cars that I have are 335i Msport coupe 6MT, and 535xiT wagon. Both have the same engines. Both never had any fuel pump issues, no injector issues, and no rough idles. I use it every 3,000miles with an empty tank. And there is a noticable difference in power and smoothness of the engine. Or it could be just in my head.
Most experts recommend an oil change after using a fuel system cleaner like Techron. An excellent product, I use prior to the last oil change of the driving season, prior to winter hibernation. A lot of debate on this subject, but given the choice, I use prior to yearly oil changes.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
And there is a noticable difference in power and smoothness of the engine. Or it could be just in my head.
It must have been in my head too. I don't notice the difference so much any more but my old 3.2 Carrera definitely seemed to run better on Chevron gas with Techroline (the predecessor to Techron) and the additive was specifically recommended by Porsche in the owner's manual.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Vancouver, I only use 94 Oct gas from who ever has it when I need it. Lots of Chevron and Shell top here. And avoid any use of ethanol. My M3 didn't like it and I'm just assuming the 997 doesn't either.
Greg

Quick Reply: what brand of gas do you use