Sponsored by:

XM and Traffic Monitor Service On PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM and Traffic Monitor Service On PCM

Hi Guys - on my new 997.2 I have XM and Traffic Monitor. How long do we get this for free? The car was sent from another dealer in PA. Do we even get XM and Traffic service for free on the 911? Wondering if the other dealer is flipping the bill and how long until they realize that they shouldnt be paying for it
Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

3 months for free, then it will go away.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by gstahl
3 months for free, then it will go away.
Booo. How much per month not that it makes a real big difference?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about $14/month give or take, there are taxes and fees just like cable. It kinda stinks they only give 3 months, most other manufacturers give 6 months free....
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have XM on my 09 and XM Traffic.
XM radio is great, XM Traffic sucks.. main map keeps saying rerouting for traffic and no overlays occur, you have to go to info and manually search for your route to see maps with traffic info.
Anyone else can chime in, maybe my system is not working correctly.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sadly, the system works terribly in the states. It's perfect and seamless in Europe. (And free, there, BTW). America has less alternatives for route congestion than Europe has, in general.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had the XM navtraffic service that overlays traffic data on the nav maps. (MY 09 car with PCM3)

Navtraffic gets the data from the data sources.. .they don't generate it.. so if, in my case WADOT doesn't provide the feed, then navtraffic cannot provide the feed. I've had cases where navtraffic had no data feed but wadot still had thier website updating fine. Not sure who dropped the ball there.

navtraffic works ok for major issues, but it lags.. so its not like its live, as in 2 minutes ago something happened and you will be rerouted. By the time a congestion shows up on the navtraffic maps, its probably 15 mins past the event.

The big issue is the colors don't correlate to what I would call 'usefull values'.
I've seen interstates marked for 60mph having slowing 30-45mph traffic backups ongoing and the navtraffic still shows green. I suspect that navtraffic green and the next step down (yellow) and the bottom step (red) do not relate to the speed experienced relative to the posted limit, but relate to the actual speed. So I think red may come in at stop-n-go or 10-15 mph traffic and yellow for up to 30-35mph, but if traffic goes above 35mph in any consistancy, the map shows green even if the posted limit is 60 or 70. From my own view, I'd say if the experienced speed of cars is 10mph UNDER the posted limit, its yellow.. so once we get traffic traveling 50 in any significant quantity in a 60mph zone, it should be yellow, and once its 30mph below (or less than 1/2 the posted normal limit) its red.

That said, in the Puget Sound region there are so few alternative options that I've still driven onto congested (per navtrafic overlay) roads because there were no options, but I like to know, as I hit the interstates, which options over Lake Washington (one of 2 bridges or the routes around) may be massively congested.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM
spourreza
Pro

Is there a function when you input an address where you can avoid traffic? Or do you have to manually search for traffic?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have navigation guidance active, that is, it has planned a route for you for the destination you selected, and have navigation active, it will replan the route for you as traffic conditions change...(if you get the navtraffic feed). I'm 'assuming' if you have 'fastest route' (not shortest by distance) selected.

I would think that traffic does not affect the distance of a route option, but it might reroute even then.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May be better in Europe as Dan mentioned, but I really value the traffic overlay on the map as I commute home. I drive down I-270 to the beltway (I-495) in the evening, and have about 5-6 different major alternative routing options, depending of course on traffic. The map with traffic overlay helps me make a decent decision.

It's not perfect, but it's very valuable for me, and when I drive my wife's car without it, I miss it. There's also an XM traffic channel for dc/Baltimore/Atlanta that has a traffic rotation, but I rarely listen to that.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:22 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennox
It's about $14/month give or take, there are taxes and fees just like cable. It kinda stinks they only give 3 months, most other manufacturers give 6 months free....
If you let it expire, they will keep coming back with lower and lower offers.

Quick Reply: XM and Traffic Monitor Service On PCM