Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Targa - big change for targas coming?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Targa - big change for targas coming?

I've been thinking for a while about getting a late model Targa 4S.

I was at the local dealer and they have a really nice 2010 Turbo, and I drove it and fell in love! The extra power (as compared to my 1999 C4) is wonderful. This one has PDK and I'm still undecided, but I was thinking about buying this 2010 turbo, and then putting a deposit on a 2012 targa 4S, but the dealer said that he might not get allocation for a 2011, and the 2012 is still undecided!

Then he showed me some photo's of something that looked like a targa, but the roof slides out on the OUTSIDE of the car! It's some different (maybe cheaper or better) mechanism.

I asked him if the car would still have a hatch back and he didn't know.

Very interesting stuff. He said that maybe Porsche is going to do away with the targa and just offer this new all glass roof as an option, which I would love very much.

He said that the targa is basically a cabriolet with some structure added for the roof. This is why the rear side window has that point to it, and it's what a lot of people don't like about the targa. Hmmmmm.

So now I am going to research this new targa roof. Actually I mainly want a hatch back on a new 911 and I'd be happy. But getting this is pretty tough.

The dealer also said to me that once I have the turbo, I might not want my targa anymore, and I have a feeling he might be right. But the turbo has so much thrust I'm almost concerned it might be too much power for me to handle! Haha! It's definitely part of the fun, but my gosh that turbo really blew my mind with all the power! Still undecided about PDK though. I think I might be a manual guy. I gotta take it out again for another spin, but it's hard to appreciate the car without a track. But this 2010 is right there on the dealers floor and it's configured really well. I think I might just get this turbo and then see what happens in the world of hatch back 911's in the next year or so.

If you know anything about these sliding glass roof things please post pictures!

Also if you know if the hatchback rear window opening is going to be available, let me know!

Thanks for your interest!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new Porsche 991 will indeed have a sunroof a la Pontiac and I think it dreadful, though it will open up light to the cockpit when closed.

I don't understand you anti-PDK fellas... had many sticks so no problem there with any H&T technique either. But hell Man, it's faster and matches revs faster than you can, you can run manny if you want, you can use your L foot for brake feathering (an extremely effective technique in 911's) and no sweat in a traffic jam, even with your latte in hand.

Connected? Never felt better

On the TT however, very quickly that power will seem "appropriate" and you will think it normal

Agree, Targas are sublime. Had a 993 and a 996. While a little "soft" for me I love them for what they are and if I was collecting cars would def have one.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

w/ a gigantic sunroof is a targa necessary?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
DLennox
Banned

There are a lot of articles and posts out there asking questions about the new 2012 Carrera. The new one is a 2013 model right? Even a lot of the "professionals" are doing this, what gives?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennox
There are a lot of articles and posts out there asking questions about the new 2012 Carrera. The new one is a 2013 model right? Even a lot of the "professionals" are doing this, what gives?
well, considering that '12 997's are coming out, i would think the 991 would be a '13. To avoid confusion, just refer to it as 991.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by kosmo
w/ a gigantic sunroof is a targa necessary?

Exactly - that roof is one of the things I want - I like lots of light - especially in winter.

But the main thing I want is that rear window to be hinged like a hatch back so I can easily stow my bag in the back. It sounds trivial, but access here would make my 911 perfect I think.

But damn! AAPL did what I wanted, so it's time to reap the rewards and I'm just going to get this 2010 turbo for now I think - with the PDK too! haha. If I really don't like it, next 911 will come sooner and it will be some targa with my colors etc and with a manual transmission. We'll see.

Now what to do with my 1999 C4 with 190,000Km on it haha. What to do with that is the next question for me.

PS - I was glad to hear from that PDK guy about the advantages of the PDK system. I think I'll go for it.

I hope my dream targa comes in the next few years.

It's looking like turbo is my next car.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
I don't understand you anti-PDK fellas...
Don't see anywhere in the OP where he said was anti-PDK. In fact, he seems open to the PDK but is still undecided. Sounds to me as if he is capable of making his own mind up.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Don't see anywhere in the OP where he said was anti-PDK. In fact, he seems open to the PDK but is still undecided. Sounds to me as if he is capable of making his own mind up.
"...Still undecided about PDK though. I think I might be a manual guy..."

in any case, I wasn't making up his mind for him, just offering an opinion. hope he didn't take as much offense as you did.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
PS - I was glad to hear from that PDK guy about the advantages of the PDK system. I think I'll go for it.
I'll double down on everything allegretto said about PDK. I wouldn't have even considered anything but a stick in a sportscar before PDK, but I've never regretted getting it and I doubt you will either.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'll double down on everything allegretto said about PDK. I wouldn't have even considered anything but a stick in a sportscar before PDK, but I've never regretted getting it and I doubt you will either.
Yeah, I can see some advantages are probably there for PDK, but I need more seat time to know for sure.

I'm buying a 2010 Turbo with PDK (95% sure), so I'll get used to it and see how I really like it after several months. I'm sure once it's all second nature, I'll like it. This car is just too amazing. (Huge step up from a 1999 C4 to a 2010 turbo with everything on it).

I guess I diverted my own thread though - I still would like to know if we are going to see any "hatch back" coming for the rear window of any 911 models in 2012. I guess nobody knows until September 2011 eh?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Historically, Porsche produces only C2/C2S Coupes and Cab with the initial unveiling of a new model (2005 saw the introduction of the 997.1 C2/C2S and the 996 C4/C4S, Targa and Turbo S).

That is usually followed by the C4/C4S Coupe and Cab the second year, followed by the Targa and Turbo later in year two or in year three.

So, no, I would not anticipate a Targa "hatch back" until 2014.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Yes, there will be a giant sunroof option, but it will only expose half of the cabin to the air, so a Targa option is still in the cards. But because there is already a glass roof option, there's speculation that Porsche will return to a traditional Targa set up.

Quick Reply: 2012 Targa - big change for targas coming?