Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many GTS's were produced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealer in Clifton Park, NY has several on the lot, all with sticker at 123k. While I have not seen one on the road, I can understand why..

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They will make as many as they can sell.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Mdrums: Got to keep your better half happy. The silver wheels are beautiful and with black! Great contrast!

10GT3: No doubt that one day when I have more time for myself I intend to get a GT3 for the track. Right now I needed something that was better for a DD. Also, when I priced GT3s they were all around $135K and up in my area and dealers weren't interested in deals on the GT3s.

For the real world I thought the GTS was a great balance between street comfort, more compliant suspension for everyday and occassional track play (if I ever get there) especially with the optional sport suspension. Plus the occasional need for a back seat (which is an option in the GTS which is clearly a nod to its harder edge track intentions then the standard Carreras). The GT3 is clearly a more hard core track beast. Plus I wanted the leather stitched interior. Love leather!

For me 7/10ths GT3 was enough with more compliant suspension and creature comforts. I needed 3/10ths for DDriving. The price for my GTS wtih heated seats/vented seats, Aero cup package, adaptive headlights, color coordinated headlight washers, sport suspension, full red leather stitched interior, head rests with Porsche crest, back up sensors (I have a habit of hitting our lamp post by the driveway when backing up) sunroof, clear bra (dealer threw this in after some haggling) was $114K.

For me the GTS was the right car not the GT3.

Also a nicely optioned C2S can easily be over $100K. A C4S can be over $100K in a blink. The GTS was a great value IMHO. Close to GT3 performance but more creature comforts for every day.
Well put on why a GTS rather than a GT3. Insofar as the GTS being limited production, I think someone said (and if they did I agree) that it wasn't PAG's intent but may turn out to be the case b/c of the small window of availability. So, in the end, maybe it's a matter of semantics between limited production and limited availability/supply (vs. the C2 or C2S)? Limited production or not, the GTS is a really nice car and, as a virtue of production run, they will be less common.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I am curious why you didn't just buy a GT3, which would have been about the same amount of money. I wouldn't exactly call an aero package, PDK with sport buckets a stripper. These 3 options alone are over $10K. My low optioned GT3 (Basalt Black, PDEM, sport buckets, auto dimming mirrors, sound plus, universal audio connector, aluminum foot, painted washer nozzles) was only $121K sticker; about the same price...and I did get a few thousand off. For the same money a GT3 has a much better suspension (monoball uppers, adjustable coilovers, sway bars, split control arms, bigger brakes, more power engine, beafier transmission, etc). Don't get me wrong, I think the GTS as a real stripper is a bargain compared to a Carrera S; but when you start looking at options like sport suspension and aero, why not just buy the car that already has them and a lot more...especially when you are setting it up for the track?
I don't have a left leg to push a clutch with...or I would have a GT3 or GT3RS.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somebody order a Black on Tan GTS with PDK, add whatever else you want and I will buy it from you in 3 years.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

gravdgr said:
I doubt that. Any evidence to back your claim, or pure conjecture?
This is a classic I own one so it must limited. I did just a quick porsche inventory search in just California and I found 10 GTS's before I gave up.

Myth: Porsche builds limited edition cars. Porsche was going to only build a limited amount of $440K CGTs. Once Porsche found out that there were quite a few people who were going to buy the $440K CGT they over built it and dealers got stuck with a relative large amount of CGTs that sat on the floors well after the last model year of the last CGT 2005.

Myth The 2007 GT3RS is going to be a highly limited numbered car. Once guys started paying $100K over MSRP for 2007 RS's Porsche increased the number of not only 2007 RS but the number of 2008 RS. After everyone including dealers said it was 1973 since the last time a RS was offered in the US and that this 997.1 RS would be the last for a LONG LONG LONG time. Well until 2010 that is.

Well the 997.2 RS is REALLY going to be the last one until the new 997.2 4.0 RS comes out.

The GTS is nothing but a last one of the 997.2 911s that Porsche is using to get alot of the old 997.2 parts bins cleaned out. This isnt the last SPECIAL Porsche Porsche will build, and its a classic ruse Porsche uses to get rid of all the extra parts they have hanging around before the 998 or 991 comes out.

Check out the 2005 911 TT "S" Check out the current 911 TT "S"
Check out the 1994 911 RS America

This is like the guy who just tried to sell his 2 owner 11,000 mile 2010 GT3 for $120K just a few weeks ago. inflated sense of worth.

Waxer said:
Also a nicely optioned C2S can easily be over $100K. A C4S can be over $100K in a blink. The GTS was a great value IMHO. Close to GT3 performance but more creature comforts for every day.
Prices are deceiving- my C2S PDK was MSRP'd at 103. Final price 78K not including taxes.
And the C2S PDK is as close to a GT3 as you need to be, infact my laptimes were faster in the PDK than both my GT3s. In our hands a PDK C2S is 11/10ths a GT3 in other words - regular dudes are faster in C2S than GT3s. People with talent maybe not so much.
There is a reason guys on the GT3 forum have complained about not being able to pass 997.2 911s on the track. THe reason is they are just as fast in regular drivers hands.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
(rant snipped)
Dude, you sure sound like you have an axe to grind.

So you found 10 for sale in CA? Wow. To my knowledge GA has gotten no more than 10-12 total. Many states have gotten less.

PCNA has sold ~3300 911's since the beginning of the year. I doubt they have sold more than 100-150 GTS's. <5% is limited enough for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

check champion-motors.com, they arein palm beach florida, they show like 20 GTS or more in stock right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Old Guy: You make some great points. No doubt Porsche AG is looking to clean off their shelves before the new 991 lands. I don't think for one minute that they do anything for us out of the goodness of their hearts. Porsche AG isn't known for their warmth and sense of humor. They are 100% profit motivated.

Bottom line...regardless of their motive we have benefited in receiving probably the high water mark for the NA 997.

No disrespect but if all you found was 10 GTS in California them is pretty slim pick'ns my friend.

After a visit to the Champion site and inventory its 12 GTSs out of 62 total Carreras. Not 20 GTSs and most of the GTSs are Cabs.

Last edited by Waxer; 07-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I did just a quick porsche inventory search in just California and I found 10 GTS's before I gave up.
Originally Posted by Waxer
No disrespect but if all you found was 10 GTS in California them is pretty slim pick'ns my friend.
Perhaps OldGuy missed a digit and meant 100 before he gave up. Just looking at two of the many So Cal dealers, BH Porsche has 8, and Auto Gallery has 13.
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I doubt they have sold more than 100-150 GTS's.
It's a whole lot more than that. And there are a lot more coming. Porsche will build enough to have inventory until the 991 arrives in significant numbers next year.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Alan Smithee: Maybe you meant 210 instead of 21 GTSs that you found?. Perhaps your total count of 21 or 210 whichever it may be included his total count of 10 (or 100 as you speculate he erred) that Old Guy included.

I think if Old Guy meant 100 he would have corrected by now.

Further I would expect the highest inventories on the coasts (east & West) where it is more densely populated.

Your statement referring to production "Its a whole lot more than that" perhaps you have some info we don't. Could you enlighten us with the numbers of GTS Porsche will put on the ground before production ends. Seriously. If you have the hard info please supply it not speculation.

My research (by no means exhaustive or scientific) and my call to Porsche NA where they confirmed their productoin of GTS is limited has convinced me for now anyway that the GTS is going to very limited in numbers compared to the other 997 variants. Regardless, I love the car.

Thanks.

Last edited by Waxer; 07-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
swajames
Racer

Agree with the majority here. There's absolutely no indication or evidence that the GTS is any more limited in production than any other mainstream 911 model. If you want one, you can get one.

The only constraint is the number of people who want to buy one. In this regard, the GTS is no different from any other model in the mainstream range.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:33 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Alan Smithee Just looking at two of the many So Cal dealers, BH Porsche has 8, and Auto Gallery has 13. [/QUOTE]

Not true, BHills had 3-4, but I just got one on them and AG doesn't have 13...check their website, they might be listed as available but with no pics for most of them...it is just a ruse. Plus, I wouldn't buy a car from AG if you paid me...BH on the other hand treated me well.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 PM
swajames
Racer

Speaking of the GTS, Dan Neil has an excellent review of the car in today's Wall St Journal.

The online version is subscriber-only but it's well worth a read if you can track it down or if you have the paper.

Quick Reply: How many GTS's were produced?