Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many GTS's were produced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

GTS is not a limited edition or limited production model. End of discussion.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

I disagree.

From my research it in fact appears that the GTS is a limited production car.

Now when I say limited production I am not saying Porsche said they are building "X" number and that its like the Speedster, Black series, GT3 RS 4.0 etc...What I mean is that their production figures are far below that of the standard Carrera, Carrera S and 4S.

Although not officially announced as a limited production car it seems that the GTS ended up being a limited production car. When I called Porsche North America about the GTS they advised me it was a limited production car (not that many produced) and every dealer I have spoken with said it is a limited production car in the sense they didn't make as many of them as the standard Carrera versions.

All the dealers I have spoken with (4 dealerships) have between 1 to 5 GTSs in stock with most being Cabs and most with PDK (90%) and one with the Aero Cup package. All of the dealerships I have spoken to had between 20 to 30 standard Carreras in stock including S and 4S. All have said they have delivered 5 to 6 GTS since 2011 model year.

While I did get some conflicting information on continued production (some saying there will be no more GTSs produced and they can't be ordered now or no more GTSs will produced after October so you need to order now....they all were consistent in saying they have not made many GTSs.

Is the GTS a limited production Carrera? While not official announced as a de jure official limited production Carrera ala' Speedster it seems that based on the facts on the ground it is or very well may end up as limited production Carrera.

Bottom line...the GTS is to borrow a phrase "delicious" ride.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I could care less how limited the GTS is or is not...I just want a great fun car.

My dealer just sent me a note to let me know that my GTS has completed production today. He is going to let me know when it is on the vesel. I guessing here but I thinking I should see it in 3 weeks or so?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Figure about a week from the time the boat sails, stops in RI, and then unloads your car in Brunswick, GA. A day or so of port prep. On the truck to Tampa, and there you go. I'd bet you'll have it before 3 weeks.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Mdrums: Does your GTS have the silver wheels or black?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I could care less how limited the GTS is or is not...I just want a great fun car.
Congrats Mike!

You'll be faster at the track with the GTS, but wait till you get your PDK GT3.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I disagree.

From my research it in fact appears that the GTS is a limited production car.

What I mean is that their production figures are far below that of the standard Carrera, Carrera S and 4S.
There is a difference between 'limited production', and lower production numbers to fulfill limited demand. A Cayenne with manual transmission an extremely hard vehicle to find on dealer lots, but it isn't a 'limited production' vehicle.

At well over $100k, the GTS is a very expensive vehicle. Naturally there will be fewer made than the less expensive models.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There is a difference between 'limited production', and lower production numbers to fulfill limited demand. A Cayenne with manual transmission an extremely hard vehicle to find on dealer lots, but it isn't a 'limited production' vehicle.

At well over $100k, the GTS is a very expensive vehicle. Naturally there will be fewer made than the less expensive models.
Mine went out the door for around $103k.

One area where Tony (Adias) and I agree is that "less = more" when it comes to all the electronics and options.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Waxer
Mdrums: Does your GTS have the silver wheels or black?
Silver like in my avitar.....I was torn on which to get so my wife says she doesn't like the black wheels so there ya go....LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Congrats Mike!

You'll be faster at the track with the GTS, but wait till you get your PDK GT3.
Yes hoping so...but this car has the GT2 Sport Buckets and I will have a harness holding me in so everything should feel better.

I did a low option GTS...all performance mods basically
GT2 Sport Buckets
PDK
Sport Chrono
Sport PASM w/LSD
GT3 Aero Kit
XM (for the wife)
Paint to match headlight washers

After delivery the car goes straight to get:
Clear Bra
Roll Bar
Harness
GT3 Lower Control Arms
Rear Toe Links
Sharkey rear muffler by-pass
Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yes hoping so...but this car has the GT2 Sport Buckets and I will have a harness holding me in so everything should feel better.

I did a low option GTS...all performance mods basically
GT2 Sport Buckets
PDK
Sport Chrono
Sport PASM w/LSD
GT3 Aero Kit
XM (for the wife)
Paint to match headlight washers

After delivery the car goes straight to get:
Clear Bra
Roll Bar
Harness
GT3 Lower Control Arms
Rear Toe Links
Sharkey rear muffler by-pass
I am curious why you didn't just buy a GT3, which would have been about the same amount of money. I wouldn't exactly call an aero package, PDK with sport buckets a stripper. These 3 options alone are over $10K. My low optioned GT3 (Basalt Black, PDEM, sport buckets, auto dimming mirrors, sound plus, universal audio connector, aluminum foot, painted washer nozzles) was only $121K sticker; about the same price...and I did get a few thousand off. For the same money a GT3 has a much better suspension (monoball uppers, adjustable coilovers, sway bars, split control arms, bigger brakes, more power engine, beafier transmission, etc). Don't get me wrong, I think the GTS as a real stripper is a bargain compared to a Carrera S; but when you start looking at options like sport suspension and aero, why not just buy the car that already has them and a lot more...especially when you are setting it up for the track?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
... One area where Tony (Adias) and I agree is that "less = more" when it comes to all the electronics and options.
Do you only agree on that ?!? I think that we agree on a lot more, like great all-in-the-rear fun cars.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I am curious why you didn't just buy a GT3, which would have been about the same amount of money. I wouldn't exactly call an aero package, PDK with sport buckets a stripper. These 3 options alone are over $10K. My low optioned GT3 (Basalt Black, PDEM, sport buckets, auto dimming mirrors, sound plus, universal audio connector, aluminum foot, painted washer nozzles) was only $121K sticker; about the same price...and I did get a few thousand off. For the same money a GT3 has a much better suspension (monoball uppers, adjustable coilovers, sway bars, split control arms, bigger brakes, more power engine, beafier transmission, etc). Don't get me wrong, I think the GTS as a real stripper is a bargain compared to a Carrera S; but when you start looking at options like sport suspension and aero, why not just buy the car that already has them and a lot more...especially when you are setting it up for the track?
i would say the same thing but i know mike, and considering he only has one leg to drive with the PDK is a must.. this is the first time i am seeing his build and it looks like fun!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Do you only agree on that ?!? I think that we agree on a lot more, like great all-in-the-rear fun cars.
I'm not sure if we agree on more, or disagree on more. It's all in good fun, however.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Mdrums: Got to keep your better half happy. The silver wheels are beautiful and with black! Great contrast!

10GT3: No doubt that one day when I have more time for myself I intend to get a GT3 for the track. Right now I needed something that was better for a DD. Also, when I priced GT3s they were all around $135K and up in my area and dealers weren't interested in deals on the GT3s.

For the real world I thought the GTS was a great balance between street comfort, more compliant suspension for everyday and occassional track play (if I ever get there) especially with the optional sport suspension. Plus the occasional need for a back seat (which is an option in the GTS which is clearly a nod to its harder edge track intentions then the standard Carreras). The GT3 is clearly a more hard core track beast. Plus I wanted the leather stitched interior. Love leather!

For me 7/10ths GT3 was enough with more compliant suspension and creature comforts. I needed 3/10ths for DDriving. The price for my GTS wtih heated seats/vented seats, Aero cup package, adaptive headlights, color coordinated headlight washers, sport suspension, full red leather stitched interior, head rests with Porsche crest, back up sensors (I have a habit of hitting our lamp post by the driveway when backing up) sunroof, clear bra (dealer threw this in after some haggling) was $114K.

For me the GTS was the right car not the GT3.

Also a nicely optioned C2S can easily be over $100K. A C4S can be over $100K in a blink. The GTS was a great value IMHO. Close to GT3 performance but more creature comforts for every day.

Quick Reply: How many GTS's were produced?