Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Had mine done Yesterday. Car was in from 8-4. I actually saw them drive it into the work bay at 8am. They also had to replace the low horn(had to remove front bumper cover) and also had oil changed. But going back to HPFP, on the work order there is no mention of Coolant drained or added. Only parts listed: HFPP, Sealing, Alum Seal Ring, O-Ring , O-ring. Performed WB08.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:52 AM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the failurmode? (i.e.: does fuel leak, won't start, blow up, etc)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I hate to say this as it probably will decrease your comfort level but I'd be concerned that the tech who worked on your car was unfamiliar with doing the pump replacement. I don't know the specifics of the job but 7 hours and coolant issues to boot is not a sign that someone knew what they were doing. Based on my experience grtting the replacement pump, the 3 hours mentioned by RennlistTomE for the job is definitely realistic. Good luck.
No doubt tech unfamiliar with the process. My car was the first 997.2 they delivered and they said this was their first HPFP operation. Just one of the joys of living in a smaller town.

Got the car back this morning and after a hour or so of spirited driving everything seems fine. The dealership was very helpful in the whole process. I just feel sorry for the service manager who had to wait in the hot sun for nearly 4 hours for Porsche Roadside Assistance towing to show up. He said he had several conversations with Porsche while waiting. Kinda nice to have someone from inside Porsche experience some of the great customer assistance from Porsche!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 2nd annual maintenance done on Friday. Thanks to this thread, I knew to ask about my pump, even though I've not experienced any problems. The pump was replaced under warranty. I also had some coolant drained. My service advisor told me that they ran the car a little after refilling to try to get any air pockets out of the cooling system, but there was a chance I'd get a check coolant light, and if so I could just top off with distilled water. No error messages and everything appears to be in order 3 days and 100 miles later.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had my 2010 C4S Cab in on 29 July for oil change and had the HPFP replaced at the same time - under warranty, no issues & no problems. Job took about 4+ hours and the tech mentioned he had to work the coling system a bit to get all the air out. Says it happens sometimes and that can take a while too. All seems fine and no errors or issues.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

has anybody heard of the adaptation that has to be done after the hpfp is replaced? there are actually 5 adaptation that has to be done by running the car at ceratin speeds for a certain period of time. this ensures that the dme knows the pump and adjust properly. Adaptation is needed for smoth running at idle and high speed runs
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
has anybody heard of the adaptation that has to be done after the hpfp is replaced? there are actually 5 adaptation that has to be done by running the car at ceratin speeds for a certain period of time. this ensures that the dme knows the pump and adjust properly. Adaptation is needed for smoth running at idle and high speed runs
Please share
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
SY-997
Instructor

My service advisor did not mention "adaptation" to me. My fuel level was a bit lower when I picked the car up, which I assumed was caused by letting the engine run for awhile.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd think that whatever process is required to integrate the new fuel pump into the engine system, it would be done by the servicing dealer when they do the work. If there is some sort of adaptation needed I'd guess the service folks put the engine computer in the corresponding 'learn mode' and take it for an appropriate drive.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
bstellar
4th Gear

Hi all. First post in the forum but have been a quiet member for a while…

After seeing the OP last week, i stopped at the dealer to inquire with my service advisor about the WB08 advisory. Sure enough, my late 09 build C4S was part of the campaign even though it's shown no symptoms.

Initially was told that the required parts were back-ordered for up to 6 weeks, and they would call to notify me when i could bring it in - but less than a hour later my SA called to say they had some parts coming, booked the service, and the work was completed yesterday. Same parts listed as others in the thread and yes, there was antifreeze on the work order. Odometer was up by 5 kms when i picked up the vehicle, so they obviously gave it a decent run through. Not sure if this is related the mentioned calibration or to purge the cooling system of any air, but the car seems to be running strong and perhaps even a bit better than before.

On a side note - i had the extreme displeasure of experiencing the much discussed "ABS Ice Mode" on my drive home yesterday. Very unnerving considering it happened in a residential area on dry roads and at low speeds.

See related discussion here.

Anyone else have this happen during normal driving on the street?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

No symptoms with September 08 build 997.2 but Porsche dealer said it is on the service campaign list and should be done when possible. Required overnight to clear air from cooling system.
Cayenne Diesel loan car next week it is
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by bstellar
On a side note - i had the extreme displeasure of experiencing the much discussed "ABS Ice Mode" on my drive home yesterday. Very unnerving considering it happened in a residential area on dry roads and at low speeds.

See related discussion here.

Anyone else have this happen during normal driving on the street?
How did that happen to you? Please explain in detail. Are you sure it isn't air in your brake system?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
bstellar
4th Gear

Definitely (or highly unlikely) not air in the system. The brakes have had great feel from day one and no problems on the 2 DE days i've done. I confirmed with the service tech that no brake or vacuum lines are touched when performing the HPFP replacement.

I was simply turning right from a dead stop into a 2 lane main road, with a stop light intersection approx. 30 yards from my origin. Traffic was somewhat heavy and i jumped into the intersection at the first opening - nothing dramatic - just a brisk right hand into the near lane and then moved into the left lane to make the left turn at the lighted intersection. First gear only.

Just as i moved into the left lane, the light had changed to red and the single vehicle in front of me stopped somewhat briskly and i then hit the brakes as well, the pedal was immediately firm and there was almost zero pedal travel. Braking force seemed to be at the estimated 20-25% that the guys on the GT3 forum have described. Luckily i pumped the pedal and they grabbed - actually locking them up. I wasn't moving fast or in any real danger of rear-ending the car in front, but may have been if i was driving any quicker and it was quite startling to say the least.

No further issues for the rest of my commute, but i did check what i could later and then took the car out for a spirited drive in a rural area just to see if i could replicate any issues. Nothing.

I'm thinking the dynamics of how the car moved into the intersection along with the braking, the turn, and all the info going to the sensors, put the ABS into the ice mode. It's definitely something to be aware of and hopefully Porsche is looking into these reports.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by bstellar
Definitely (or highly unlikely) not air in the system. The brakes have had great feel from day one and no problems on the 2 DE days i've done. I confirmed with the service tech that no brake or vacuum lines are touched when performing the HPFP replacement.

I was simply turning right from a dead stop into a 2 lane main road, with a stop light intersection approx. 30 yards from my origin. Traffic was somewhat heavy and i jumped into the intersection at the first opening - nothing dramatic - just a brisk right hand into the near lane and then moved into the left lane to make the left turn at the lighted intersection. First gear only.

Just as i moved into the left lane, the light had changed to red and the single vehicle in front of me stopped somewhat briskly and i then hit the brakes as well, the pedal was immediately firm and there was almost zero pedal travel. Braking force seemed to be at the estimated 20-25% that the guys on the GT3 forum have described. Luckily i pumped the pedal and they grabbed - actually locking them up. I wasn't moving fast or in any real danger of rear-ending the car in front, but may have been if i was driving any quicker and it was quite startling to say the least.

No further issues for the rest of my commute, but i did check what i could later and then took the car out for a spirited drive in a rural area just to see if i could replicate any issues. Nothing.

I'm thinking the dynamics of how the car moved into the intersection along with the braking, the turn, and all the info going to the sensors, put the ABS into the ice mode. It's definitely something to be aware of and hopefully Porsche is looking into these reports.
Interesting! I suggest you pass this experience on to PCNA.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Just had WB08 HPFP service. Including my free oil service at Champion, my service rep said it took about 3 hours to complete. They also gave me a Panamera loaner. Love the dealer.

Parts used:
1 000-043-301-44 HPFP
1 9A1-106-305-00 Sealing
1 999-707-625-40 O-ring
2 999-707-517-41 O-ring
2 900-123-007-30 Alum Seal Ring

Note: no coolant.
Build date: 2/09

Quick Reply: 997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.