Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, do it
I taught my son to drive a stick using my 997 when he was 15 1/2
my advice is let him drive it
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Those father-son momments are special so if he is as an enthusiast as you are the by all means share the passion and fun. I just got a used Z4M a month ago and took my son with me to Chicago to pick it up. We then did a two day road trip home with the top down 1/2 the way. Was awesome and I am sure something he will never forget. He's 12 y/o and as an added bonus I've told him that if he keeps his grades up and continues to do well...then the Z4 will be his to use when he gets his license and goes to college (if he's responsible of course). Can't buy those moments to by all means I concur...go for it and make some cool memories! Here's one of mine!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 AM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Let him drive it!

When I was 15 my parents sold their '72 911T, 2mos before I got my learners permit. I was so close, but yet so far. It sounds like you're in a bit of a different situation but from his point of view, if this opportunity passes him by he'll never forget it. If he drives it, its something he'll never want to forget.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

As long as he is a responsible, and respectful son (Sounds like he is) then there is nothing wrong with him driving it. I am 29, and would have loved an experience like that. Unfortunately my fathers hobbies were soccer and eating.

As for you giving him the car, as much as it pains me to say this, I wouldnt. I was very responsible, and always listened to what my parents said, but a 16-18 is still a teenager, and all it takes is a split second bad decision that make you regret your decision. My first new car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I BEGGED my father for GS-T turbo, but he got me the N/A instead. Looking back, I probably would have killed myself having that much power. Hell, I caused enough trouble with 140 hp.

Just get something in the middle. Nothing dirt cheap to where the kid feels awful pulling up to school, but nothing crazy to where he gets all the attention, and acts like a teen once and a while. My 18 yr old self would kill me for writing this email. Im sorry....
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Those father-son momments are special so if he is as an enthusiast as you are the by all means share the passion and fun. I just got a used Z4M a month ago and took my son with me to Chicago to pick it up. We then did a two day road trip home with the top down 1/2 the way. Was awesome and I am sure something he will never forget. He's 12 y/o and as an added bonus I've told him that if he keeps his grades up and continues to do well...then the Z4 will be his to use when he gets his license and goes to college (if he's responsible of course). Can't buy those moments to by all means I concur...go for it and make some cool memories! Here's one of mine!
Awesome story, great pic! I am envious.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he were my kid and I trusted him, I'd let him drive it, with the caveat that he take a DE type class first. I think with a class, knowledge, and trust, that's a good and fair combination. And let him know if he steps out of line with it even once or drives stupidly, texts while driving, etc, it'll be taken away from him.

Tim - So sorry to hear about your son. I've lost both my parents, but (as you know) it's not the same. God Bless to you and your family, and I'm glad to hear your daughter is well.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My son is 20 and when he was 18 I invited him to participate in a DE School with the NE region. He drove our 94 968. He did wonderfully and in the process convinced me that he was perfectly capable and responsible to drive the car regularly.

The other day I asked him if he'd like to take the 911 around for a blast. Much to my surprise, he said he didn't want the responsibility and declined the offer. WOW (not my kid:-))

I want him in the formula ford, but he's in his senior year and is applying to grad schools. We both think he's too busy this year for the SCCA school and race. This kid got a 4.0 this semester.. Sorry for spouting
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

It depends... my 17 yrs old son, for example, is a very safe and capable driver... my 20 yrs old boy not so much. I trust the younger one's judgement implicitly and so he has driven my old '98 m3(supercharged) to his school on several occations when I needed to borrow his truck. Lately I had him take a few lapse in the C2S around some isolated streets just so he could get used to the clutch... now he can move the p-car if needed when I'm traveling on business. My wife doesn't want to ever drive my C2S. It's also a great father/son bonding opportunity.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 536 Posts

I'd let my son and daughter drive anything that I owned (with proper supervision) if I thought it would bring a smile to their face
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the two of you should sign up for an autocross and dual drive the 996. Don't worry about the competition, just enjoy a day with your son. You both get to drive with the other in the passenger seat, he can safely test out the car with no danger, he (and you if you haven't autocrossed or DE'd) will learn a lot about car handling. I bet you can even work a corner together and have fun watching cars go around while chatting about them. I see a lot of father-son/daughter people out and it's nice. I plan to do it when my kids get old enough (I could do junior karts I guess) -- partly to spend time with them, and partly because I think it will make them safer.

I like the idea of a DE event also, but you won't really get time with him. OTOH he'd get a lot of time driving the car all out. I think I'd feel better knowing my kids had done some DE driving. It won't hurt I guess.

Lastly, depending on what floats your boat, find an upcoming PCA trip, or make your own. It could be a short one (some groups around here do some ~100 mile sightseeing trips), a long one (we did a PCA winery tour that involved maybe 800 total miles over a 3-day weekend), or the really long ones. Trade off driving. Again -- time spent with him, and you're in the car.

Quick Reply: Son's Birthday Wish