Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son's Birthday Wish

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not like you're a single dad wondering should you let your son sleep with your girlfriend. It's a car, and not a rare exotic worth half a million bucks. I'm sure he knows how much your Porsche means to you, and I bet he'll be twice as careful as usual. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he passed on the offer out of fear.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Heddok
Intermediate

When my son was 17 and driving for a year I took him to our local PCA AX. He did about 10 runs with an instructor in the car and had a blast. I think it made him a better driver. Now when he comes out to the coast to visit, he drives the Boxster and I get to be a passanger in my own car! A great experience.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

As his 20th birthday is coming up, why not get him a 2-day Performance driving course at the PSDS? You could both go and have a great time!

I started driving our family cars when I first got my permit at age 16. So I'd say he is a few years behind already.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Every-ones parenting style is different, but I would share my toys with my son, I have no doubt in my mind. He will need to prove to me first that he is responsible and keep showing me that he is, but as long as he doesn't give me a reason to distrust him, I wont say no.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
jason74
Instructor

My 2 year old already sits on my lap while I'm moving the 'Porschey' car around the driveway. He already knows the gear shifter does something. He also knows not to touch the paint or bang it with his toys. When the time is right, he'll be allowed to drive it. I don't know if that'll be when he's 14 or 24. Depends on his level of maturity and responsibility. He'll definitely be driving something on my family's farm to learn the ropes before he goes to any drivers training. His first car probably won't be a P-car, though...
Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911crazy
Ever since I was a kid ( 1960's ), I had always wanted a Porsche 911. I've seen every commercial for them, and lucky enough, my business has been doing great the past decade, and own 2 911's. I have a 996 C4S and love it. But I recently got a 2011 997.2 Turbo from my local dealer. My son adores Porsches, and is 19. Ever since he was a kid he's been saving, just like I have. His 20th Birthday is coming up in August, and he wants to drive a Porsche. He's a very cautious driver and I trust him a lot, but I'm not sure if I should let him drive my 997 or my 996. When I was 15, I was offered to drive my friend's dad's porsche 911 Carrera RS. The driveway was a quartermile, and it was a 5-speed. When I drove that car, it was the best experience of my life, until I had my son, and picked up the 996. Should I let my Son enjoy that feeling or not?
i honestly beleive people have to make things happen for themselves - it is only way to learn how to appreciate your hard work and success.

as of general idea to give 20 year old a Porsche - I think it is very bad idea. His sector right now is Honca Civic Si. Or WRX. That will be age-appropriate. Plus imho util he crashes at least 2 cars it is way premature to buy any expensive vehicle. No matter how 'careful' or 'responsible' you think he is - I know from my own experience, the only way to really learn how to avoid an accident is to experience one and memorize this feeling by your spinal cord.

I totally agree with idea to do some AX or DEs together - but i understood the question was to 'give' him old car as you get a new one. That one I do not think would be wise, but it is your family.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
12 years ago, my 11 year old son Damian died unexpectidly in his sleep. We still don't know the cause. Fortunately, my daughter, Damian's twin sister, is now 23 and is alive and healthy.

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to let my son deive the Porsche when he turned 20. ...
I am told that to lose one's child is the worst possible loss. My thoughts are with you.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another idea: Get him an old 912 as a birthday present...

He can fix it and drive it but it will never be a screamer with the 4 cyl engine...

Yet it looks cool as hell,

T.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I saved up my money and bought my first Porsche at age 19. At 19, your son would enjoy an opportunity to drive either of your cars, with reasonable supervision. (Most likely the 996--the 997 turbo is more than many adults can handle). He can then chose for himself if he wants to save up for his own.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Can he drive a stick? If so, go for it. Will probably make his day. I know my two boys (almost 12) can't wait to take "daddy's car" out for a drive.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I was 20 when I had my first Porsche three years ago. I had an accident

As long as he really is responsible and he respects you, you should be fine. Just remind him that you trust him and he shouldn't let you down by driving irresponsibly.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Thumbs up Go for it!

I'm 16, I started driving at 15 1/2 (cough cough 13 or 14), one of my first drives was in a Cayenne Turbo, it was great, and i loved every moment of it, but my dad owned few Car Dealers, so it was soon gone, as he drove a new car almost every week, but he got a 996 Turbo, and we were moving some cars in and out of storage, and the Turbo was blocking the driveway, so he tossed me the keys, and said to take it around the block, and park it by the curb.

I could have floored it, and wrapped it around a mailbox, but i didn't, i stayed at 25MPH the whole time i was in the neighborhood, and brought it back in one peice.

I think that if you kids are responsible, and you trust them, they will appreciate it, and not want to ruin future opportunitys at driving it.

I have had the opportunity to drive alot of cars, and the most memorable were porsches, as you all know. hahah
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I would give him one of the Porsches-but that's me. Imagine what it would have felt like when you were that age. Life is short. The more time you spend in a Porsche-the more you have lived.

Cheers.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
As long as you're with him... YES!!!
Yes, but remember these cars are rear drive, so caution in and out of turns... I've seen my rear on my first 911 many of times, so thank god I'm still here to write about it...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I am told that to lose one's child is the worst possible loss. My thoughts are with you.
Yes, it is much worse than losing your parents or a sibling, both of which I have also experienced.

Thank you, Tony. That is very much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Son's Birthday Wish