Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox News Report on Flashy Porsches....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

While I'm sure there are folks that buy sports cars to impress others, I can imagine that a good percentage of us buy these things to enjoy your driving... just for us, and we don't really care what others think.

The only reason I didn't buy mine at age 28 or 35 was I could not afford one at that time. Its not a mid-life crisis or trying to attract women, its just a matter of having the financial ability to realize the dream I've had since I was 8.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is just a research from students. I read something the same last year. Here are couples more from last year:
Btw, Do you know why Porsche begins with a “P” ? LOL

She knows why Porsche begins with a "P."
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/05/st...-in-overdrive/

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...tml?id=1870063
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Fox "News" very often presents agendas and opinions as news. They often interview members of their own organization rather than outside experts to control the discssion. I believe this was the only "news" organization to imply or state that WMDs in Iraq were a given. They are the lowest of the low.

In this case ( re: Porsches), I think someone has a personal axe to grind.

LMAO, no need to fear the truth Fuhrer, this is just some reporter informing you of a study that was done
just cause you don't like the outcome of the study, dont demonize the whole news agency.

besides, peacocks are cool
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

It is really interesting to me that so many people would just like to eliminate Fox. Do you really just want to listen to only the liberal perspective? So much of fox gives a balance to the overwhelming number of left leaning outlets. If more liberals would listen to the conservative point of view instead of trying to drown it out, there might be more meeting of minds. After all we are a 50/50 country in our views and most of the conservatives I know listen to both sides. I know this is off topic but sometimes my button just gets pushed.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

And, here we go...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Seriously...the OP with the skittles blue car doesn't need a Fox study to tell him he's an old guy, looking for attention.
I bought my first Porsche at 19. I wasn't buying it for the girls--it was because of the handling. Sadly, I became addicted and have had to have one ever since.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

my car gets noticed

my suits (and ties) get noticed

my shoes get noticed

people notice my t-shirts, art work, etc., etc.

so what...

and I'm pretty sure it isn't "skittles blue"
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty dumb article, I didn't buy mine to attract women, I'm married. In fact I only drive my car to places no one goes except men with their sport cars, that is the back country roads.

Those women who are attracted to your expensive cars are usually gold diggers so a short-term sexual relationship is all that we want anyways. lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
DLennox
Banned

My wife helped pick ours out, what does that mean?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Greygoose, you are truly a doofus..........from the other old guy with the skittles blue car....do I sense the green eyed monster lurking beneath your assinine statement !

Don't worry....jealousy will pass! Just give it time !
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
While I'm sure there are folks that buy sports cars to impress others, I can imagine that a good percentage of us buy these things to enjoy your driving... just for us, and we don't really care what others think.

The only reason I didn't buy mine at age 28 or 35 was I could not afford one at that time. Its not a mid-life crisis or trying to attract women, its just a matter of having the financial ability to realize the dream I've had since I was 8.
That could describe me to a tee.

And then there's the downside - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-drivers.html
Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scholarly article from which Fox News quoted was "Peacocks, Porsches, and Thorsten Veblen: Conspicuous Consumption as a Sexual Signaling System", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Sundie, Jill M., Douglas T. Kenrick, Vladas Griskevicius, Joshua M. Tybur, Kathleen D. Vohs, & Daniel J. Beal (2010). This is a link to the article's abstract. The piece was based, in part, on Veblen's (1899) work on the apparent attempts by the new rich to gain social status (power).

If the co-author's work interests you, go here to learn more. Go here to learn more about Veblen's work.

Fascinating stuff.

Marshal

Last edited by Marshal_Mercer; 06-17-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Nothing to see here. Move along. Nothing behind the screen.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! My choice like many here, was logically narrowed down to the Civic vs the 911. I chose the Porsche. Now I have to figure out what to do if any rain gets on it. Is there a body shop for that?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It's on Fox News... enuf said!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
I am actually shocked at the Far Left Liberal comments made at FOX. I noticed the article on foxnews.com but didn't bother reading since I have better things to do. Why are you all so afraid of a real news agency? How about keeping the politic's to yourselves and use Rennlist for it's true purpose.
What would you expect? This is a classic example of 'shooting the messenger'. The article simply reports a dumb academic research project paid by the government. The offenders here are the eggheads doing this and the government paying them to do it. Incidentally... there are thousands of these 'research' projects going on...

Quick Reply: Fox News Report on Flashy Porsches....