Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 reliability on a slippery slope?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mine was on a flatbed back to dealer the day after i bought it new - radiator had a crack where the supply line fed or something.

squeaky, groany strut tops replaced under warranty at about 15k.

new clutch at 35k - clutch finger broke, so the more i think about it, the more i cant chalk it up to influenced by increased track use.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

my 04 996 had engine replaced at 5,000 miles. it was replaced. i sold the car and qgot an 05 C2S. It is a daily driver, and so far the only non maintenance issue i have had is a broken shift cable. Other than that the car has performed its daily duty flawlessly.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBarron2007
this stuff you guys say to defend these cars amazes me.. SHORT TRIPS? it is a matter of miles, period. A engine in these cars is up to temp and at operating under its normal conditions in under 5 minutes.
Short trip might not effect the engine, I agree with you that these engines warm up quickly but it does effect the battery. My wife's MDX has two battery replacements in 3 years time. Here commute is a mile to and from work. Her battery has been ok now that I drive it once a week, 15 miles one way.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I wonder how much of the issues are related to early build cars. 06 cars may not have had all the bugs worked out in time. Previous generation 911's (except 996) all had years of productoin to address problems and improve the car which may explain fewer initiall problems.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I wonder how much of the issues are related to early build cars. 06 cars may not have had all the bugs worked out in time. Previous generation 911's (except 996) all had years of productoin to address problems and improve the car which may explain fewer initiall problems.
Nope, just 05's. People should spend the extra bucks for an 06'.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My P car is mostly driven on short trips but when not in use it is always connected to the bat tender. I traded my o6 Porsche after five years and 18,000kms and never had a bat issue.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
No issues with mine and I've had 4 since 1999! I had the engine replaced in my last one at 4,000 miles but they stepped right up and covered that with no problem. These cars are super reliable from my point of view.
Tom
Wow - that's interesting, you find the fact that the engine needed to be replaced at 4k as support for the statement "These cars are super reliable..."?

Your logic fails me.

This discussion isn't about warranty support it's about being comfortable taking the car down the road and not being left there.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is my fourth and I find the newer they are, the more reliable they are. I suspect it's the WAY you're using it. Short trips are never good for this car.
The WAY I'm using it? I've explained that the car is treated like royalty. Not spoiled or pampered it's DRIVEN aggressively, road-tripped, long drives NOT daily commuted in city traffic. RMS, Check Engine lights, rattling tops, rattles in dash, failed charging systems - these are not issues related to the WAY the car is used in any case.

The car has been in the shop five times for Check Engine Lights in the past 3 months and has been sitting there for the past 10 days while Porsche and the dealer scratch their collective heads.

I have the view that Porsche very much "papers over" reliability questions with generally very good warranty support. I never used to fear the end of the warranty period with my 930 or my 993 - I am starting to with the 997.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
jwins
Intermediate

I used to think these cars were super reliable. 90+ k on a 2007 NE DD without a serious issue. A transmission leak was fixed under warranty. Late last year, I had a fan replaced on the passenger side. Other than that, just expected wear items. However, my car has been at the dealer for more than two months now with an impossible to diagnose check engine light and rough idle/stall when cold. I've had the coils and plugs replaced, valve springs, lifters, cam and other sensors, and the cam shaft. Nothing the dealer has done has eliminated a misfire on cylinder 4. It's now been a couple of weeks since I've heard from them. I love the car but my torch for the brand is burning a little less bright.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
dansen
Intermediate

JD Power is doing a reliable study for all 3 yrs old cars for the insurance Co. Porsche is #1 for the last several years, except last year (2008 model) was #2 behind Lincoln. # 2 as a Porsche, but 911 is the most reliable car in its class. Some of you might say 911 has an average of 5m/yr so it is not fair to compare with 15m/yr. JD Power is a very big company. I don’t think they are hiring high school students to do the study. Even with high school students, I don’t think they would take a 15m car and compare with a 45m car for reliable. Btw, according to consumer reports, Porsche is #1 in owner satisfaction.

Most owners don’t joint forum. The one who jointed, most of them have questions or problem with their car. Of course, of some of the people here are just to help other. If you read the Boxster forum, you will not want to buy one. I bought one and very happy with it.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I think that surveys like JD power will have skewed results in Porsche's favour. Typically 911s don't cover that many total miles so any problems that show up with high total mileage are not being exposed in the survey. What they will be seeing is initial teething issues.

You would hope that a car that has only done say 5,000 - 10,000 miles should have less issues per 1000 miles than a car that has done 40,000 - 50,000 miles regardless of brand/model.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I think that surveys like JD power will have skewed results in Porsche's favour. Typically 911s don't cover that many total miles so any problems that show up with high total mileage are not being exposed in the survey. What they will be seeing is initial teething issues.

You would hope that a car that has only done say 5,000 - 10,000 miles should have less issues per 1000 miles than a car that has done 40,000 - 50,000 miles regardless of brand/model.
Many here seem to take the opposite view - those poor under driven Porsches are at a disadvantage.

I think the "initial quality" surveys are subjective in that they can't help but include how well the manufacturer deals with warranty issues. Like TommyV44 above that gets a new engine at 4k miles and reports the car as "very reliable".

Porsche generally takes the high road on warranty issues, that goes a long way to salving intial quality surveys, I have no doubt.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe

You and I are just guessing. But I really don’t think so because it means the study is fail. Some 3 yr old Toyota already have over 100m. There are many owners using 911 as dd. They need to compare apple to apple. Maybe they are taking a number of cars at the end of 3 yrs with about 36m and compare them. Notice, beside 911, all other models are dd car.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a little over 12,000 miles on my 997.2 Carrera S PDK, and no issues at all. Wonderful car, but it is a daily driver, so getting used regularly is the easy part.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I think the "initial quality" surveys are subjective in that they can't help but include how well the manufacturer deals with warranty issues. Like TommyV44 above that gets a new engine at 4k miles and reports the car as "very reliable".

Porsche generally takes the high road on warranty issues, that goes a long way to salving intial quality surveys, I have no doubt.
Dealing with warranty issues will get points for customer satisfaction but not reliability.
Regard “need a new engine at 4k”, sound like very bad. If I just paid $100g for a car, I would not be happy if they going to open up the engine and repair it. Porsche is very nice to replace a new engine for their customers.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues! She has been tracked quite a bit and is used on weekends and occasional adult trips. I do use a battery tender jr when she sits though.

Quick Reply: 911 reliability on a slippery slope?