Sponsored by:

Ferodo 2500 pads Installed - UPDATE after track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Ferodo 2500 pads Installed - UPDATE after track day

After a lot of debates as to what route to take on stock pad upgrade, and debating the full race pads (various Pagid options) and swapping to stock after each event vs. dual-use pads (only options I found was Pagid Sport, or Ferodo 2500), I decided to go with Ferodo 2500.

I've had those pads on my Audi Alcon brakes and they were absolutely incredible! From the research they seemed to hold a lot better than Pagid sports and I literally had no complaints from my pervious experience... so took the chance and had them installed this week.

For the short period I've had them installed, I AM VERY IMPRESSED (again)! They noticably stop better than stock and have a firmer pedal feel, specially after they warm up. It takes 2-3 stops for them to get to operating temp, and just increasingly get better from there. I actually had to adjust my braking and how much pressure I apply, as I literally have a much shorter braking distance.

I will be tracking them tomorrow, and will report how they do... that's where the real test is... stockers were just not holding up for me lately.

The only downside so far is the slight squeel at VERY LOW speeds, like 5mph, it's not annoying yet, and I'll see if after my track day they get better or worse. I haven't installed the stock dampers on these, and not sure if they help with anything, but for now, it's perfectly fine.

Last edited by alexb76; 06-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Track Update:
So, I ran the pads during my first track day yesterday, and they were simply AMAZING!

The first session they were a bit tricky, I think still breaking-in (only 100 miles or so since install), and had inconsistent performance. However, session 2 to 6, they were absolutely GREAT! No fade whatsoever and actually got better when heated up. I did 3 sessions of 30mins, and 3 session of 25mins and had no fade! It was in a warm but not hot climate, so not sure if it'd do any different in a hotter weather.

So overall, I am extremely satisfied with this pad for dual street/track use. The scqueeling is actually less after the track day, but still slightly here or there. This is also on older rotors that have been shaped to old pads, so some more miles on these will most likely help.

I've never had pure track pads, and I am sure they'd be better for one track day at a time (if one swaped them out after every session), but for people who just do a few lapping days a season and do not have time to swap out track pads, the Ferodo 2500 comes highly recommended as you also gain better performance on the street!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great report, thanks.

I've always thought that the F-2500 were the best compromise street/track pad out there.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Great report, thanks.

I've always thought that the F-2500 were the best compromise street/track pad out there.
It sure is based on my experience, research.

I struggled like crazy on my HEAVY Front end Audi and literally every pad had one issue or another... Ferodo 2500s worked best and the same seems to be the case for 997!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Alex, have you tracked your car with Pagid RS29 Yellows or Performance Friction PFC97 or 01's?

Are you on street tires or R-Compound?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Alex, have you tracked your car with Pagid RS29 Yellows or Performance Friction PFC97 or 01's?

Are you on street tires or R-Compound?
PS2 tires, no I haven't tried Pagid Yellow nor wanted as I don't have the time to swap out everytime and I also be gentler on rotors this way.

As I said I'm sure they'd do better than 2500s but as I didn't expeirence any fade at all in a very long tracking session I'm not sure how much better they could do (for my dirivng style, skill level).
Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
PS2 tires, no I haven't tried Pagid Yellow nor wanted as I don't have the time to swap out everytime and I also be gentler on rotors this way.

As I said I'm sure they'd do better than 2500s but as I didn't expeirence any fade at all in a very long tracking session I'm not sure how much better they could do (for my dirivng style, skill level).
OK...just wondering so that I know what you are comparing the Ferodo's to. I think you are doing the right thing driving on street tires. When and if you start using r-comp tires then having pads like Padgid or Performance Frintion would be the the time to start swaping pads out...which by the way only adds about 1-2 minutes per wheel...super simple to do.

Quick Reply: Ferodo 2500 pads Installed - UPDATE after track day