Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan stayed on after I turned off car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Fan stayed on after I turned off car?

Coming home today temp. around 90, stop and go traffic for about a 1 1/2 hours. Went back into the garage about 20 min later i noticed the fans were still running. I restated the car and put the spoiler up and turned off the car. One min later the fan was off. Is this normal?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very
Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Gellie,

I recommend that you read your Owner's Manual.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

perfectly normal, its just cooling everything down for you... wing up or down really doesnt change anything as far as cooling while sitting..
Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM
rumartin
Track Day

Normal. In similar conditions, mine will start blowing about 5 minutes after I turn the car off and will blow for about 6 minutes. It gets very hot in Austin in the summer, and sometimes the fan will cycle on and off twice after a 45 minute drive. At a Cars and Coffee event this past weekend, a 2010 Targa parked next to mine, and his fan came on about 30 minutes after he turned it off and ran for 3-4 minutes.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the responses...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by rumartin
Normal. In similar conditions, mine will start blowing about 5 minutes after I turn the car off and will blow for about 6 minutes. It gets very hot in Austin in the summer, and sometimes the fan will cycle on and off twice after a 45 minute drive. At a Cars and Coffee event this past weekend, a 2010 Targa parked next to mine, and his fan came on about 30 minutes after he turned it off and ran for 3-4 minutes.
On the flip side is it normal that the fan turns off after engine shut down even when it's warm?
My does and when i turn the key back to ignition on/stand by (position 1) the fan will turn back on.
Shouldn't the fan keeps blowing even with key out if it is needed?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

After an extended drive in 90 degree weather, I usually open the lid on the engine compartment to alow the heat out faster. The fan is usually running but will turn off in a minute or two.. Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve/K2WE
After an extended drive in 90 degree weather, I usually open the lid on the engine compartment to alow the heat out faster. The fan is usually running but will turn off in a minute or two.. Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
You probably should leave the engine compartment cover closed. If you open it the fan does not blow air into the engine compartment as effectively as it would with the cover closed so the components in the engine compartment are subjected to longer heat soak periods at higher temps than they would otherwise be.

If you want to help your car cool down, do like I did for a while: buy an electric fan and position it at the front of the car and after you pull the car in to the garage turn the fan on low and have it blow air at the front of the car though aim the fan a bit lower to really force air *under* the car. This mimics a bit the air flow the car experiences when moving and while it won't be as effective because of course the engine is not running and the coolant is not circulating it does help remove heat from the engine compartment. If you leave the garage door open a crack it helps keep the garage temperature down from a hot car being parking in it.

After a half an hour or so you can turn off the fan and you'll find the car is rather cool, cooler than it would be without the fan blowing. Also, don't forget to close the garage door all the way.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You probably should leave the engine compartment cover closed. If you open it the fan does not blow air into the engine compartment as effectively as it would with the cover closed so the components in the engine compartment are subjected to longer heat soak periods at higher temps than they would otherwise be.

If you want to help your car cool down, do like I did for a while: buy an electric fan and position it at the front of the car and after you pull the car in to the garage turn the fan on low and have it blow air at the front of the car though aim the fan a bit lower to really force air *under* the car. This mimics a bit the air flow the car experiences when moving and while it won't be as effective because of course the engine is not running and the coolant is not circulating it does help remove heat from the engine compartment. If you leave the garage door open a crack it helps keep the garage temperature down from a hot car being parking in it.

After a half an hour or so you can turn off the fan and you'll find the car is rather cool, cooler than it would be without the fan blowing. Also, don't forget to close the garage door all the way.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I thought it was an exhaust fan - wasn't aware it blew air in - I'll have to check next time it runs.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I used to position a large box fan on the lip of the engine bay of my 911 when they were air-cooled--and pulled the air out of the engine area. I think it helped keep the heat damage to a minimum over the years. Although Porsche considers things like heat when they chose materials for the engine area, I think it will extend the life of many aux. components by drawing the heat away.

Quick Reply: Fan stayed on after I turned off car?