Sponsored by:

993 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
NO the 993 had a secondary Air injection issue. Carbon built up in those ports and choked them off. The top has to be rebuilt if that happens. Its the main reason everyone uses Chevron with Techroline to keep those cleaned out.
There WERE a few 997 RMS I remember in the GT3 world but they got fixed and not much of a problem. The first 997 had a WEIRD issue where if you washed your car water got into something under the hood and caused a huge shut down. I remember one former Rennlister went through this and got his money back after months of troubleshooting and trips to the dealer. But his car was a 997 Launch car. Lawyers got involved and he is no longer a rennlister and doesnt post anymore, could be a result of the court case.
The VERY FIRST put on the market. But since then I havent heard any other issues.

The 2009 997.2 was a HUGE upgrade from the 997.1. Some writers called it the most revolutionary upgrade ever between models for Porsche. They said usually there was a change in the Gas cap and all the mags would right about the BIG upgrade for the Porsche gas cap. But this change introduced a 3.8 liter motor with 40% less parts that the previous version and then of course the PDK. A HUGE change for Porsche mid model. Thats why I suggest you get a 997.2 S model with sports chrono.

To me its THREE cars in one. In Normal mode its like a mercedes. Nice and soft, invisible shifting from the PDK.
In Sport mode Everything tightens up in the suspension. Acceleration points are more sharp, and its very much like a GT3. It holds the gears longer for better speed and its awesome!
In Sport PLUS mode, WATCH out!!! Its a pure track car. The suspension tightens up more and the PDK holds the shifts to Redline.

Its just a remarkable car. The only thing I dont like about it is the lack of an aero kit. I am still debating.

Like I said if you need ANY more help feel FREE to email me.
Do you really believe all the crap you write?

From a mercedes to a pure track car huh?

give me a break
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an expert of cabs, but since you are looking at a 993 and a 997 cab; why not get a Boxster AND a 993. I hear the Boxster is the best "open air" value.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

give me a break
Do you own one to verify?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
... Don't beleive everything you read.
+1

Internet advise will only be so good. You need to drive each model for yourself and see what YOU think.

The 993 is probably a better car for a Porsche buff who wants to live in the "good 'ol" air cooled days.

For a newbie to Porsche, a newer more modern car like the 997 is probably a better choice.

Phil
Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

Last night, I spent quite a bit of time in the 993 forum and for some reason I like the 996 body better (and love the Lapis). Does the 997 come in Lapis, or was it for 1999 to 2004 only?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Not an expert of cabs, but since you are looking at a 993 and a 997 cab; why not get a Boxster AND a 993. I hear the Boxster is the best "open air" value.
My son says, "No Boxsters."
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Karen, What's your budget, how much are you willing to pay for and maintain a car?
Cab&Coupe- as you already know, I am in the process of building a house and so NO car until the house is done. But, that also gives me time to fully research what I want, so that when I 'pull the trigger', it will be THE ONE I'm also expecting the budget to increase by then, so could possibly get a 997. At this point, all options are open.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

you deleted you originl post. as of generic street cars 993 to 997 - i would get new 997.2 car with DFI, i just like new stuff and not a retro person.
well maintained 993 car look like a gem. but i cannot imagine to drive it daily. i also do not think it deserves to be beaten on a track. as a weekend car it would be probably more respectful than any 997. so you choose what is it you after.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Buy the newest and best porsche you can afford" is the word of god.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=OldGuy;8607544]Well Karen I would love to talk to you about the subject on EMail which is in the bottom of my sig.

Is it that you do not wish to share your wisdom with us all or that you are hoping to get a date out of this? For shame old guy.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Have owned the following:

1996 993C4S
2004 996 40th Anniversary
2006 997 Carrera

Ranking for categories:

Best looking.....
993 - #1
997 - #2
996 - #3

Best driving:
997 #1
996 #2
993 #3

Best visceral experience:
993 (with RSR mufflers) - #1
996 (had X51) - #2
997 - #3

Which one would I own?:
997 - #1
993 - #2
996 - #3

Last edited by billh1963; 06-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

GP the only reason I asked her to PM me is because alot of people here already know what I know. Didnt want to Bog down the forum.
And BTW my beautiful bride and I have just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. So I am not out looking for dates trust me.

1996 C4S No SAI issues ever, and still drives and looks beautiful... Don't beleive everything you read.
This was just an over view. When I was in the 993 club several people had it, many didnt. Its just something to look at. It would be irresponsible to not tell her some of the issues SOME people have had.
I didnt read this SAI issue, I saw it. I learned what people did to prevent it and I know what it cost to have my friends get it fixed.
The brass carriers the way people used Techroline baths to get rid of the carbon build up. You are just in the percentage group that didnt have an issue.
Indeed it would have been wrong for me not to tell her.

Quadcammer I see you havent picked up any intellect since I put you on my ignore list..

I am trying to help some one and you come in here with trash talk, CLASSY.
I have been VERY careful to be respectful in the last couple years, and yet the FIRST post you see that I have made a comment ,
you show your brass ignorant moronic view, and then jump on me for no reason. FOR WHAT? My opinion? Are you GOD?? Is your view all encompassing and all knowing?
I have a years of experience of the 993, the 996, the 997.1 and the 997.2.

My point here was to help this lady make a decision to get her the best value for her money. I was trying to help.

As far as the 997.2 PDK goes, the sport plus mode is too edgy for normal street driving, its best suited for the track and that is a FACT.

In sport plus mode the computer holds the shifts to each redline. It wont use the overdrive gear and the suspension is VERY aggressive. Its basically for track ONLY, in fact you wold probably have maintenance issues coming up alot sooner driving it on the street. Its meant for the track. Do you drive around town at redline in 1st and 2nd gear? (well maybe YOU do)
the car SCREAMS when you are trying to drive it in sport plus in 1st gear and it sounds like its about to blow. So its stupid to drive it
around on the streets in 1st gear at redline all the time. DO some research before you post. You make yourself look silly.
Mercedes to a track car???
I had a 09 AMG for a year, before that 2 GT3s and a 993 TT.

Just to codify you, I sold my GT3 because my back was deteriorating to the point it couldnt handle the GT3 suspensionl
So I bought the AMG for a year, while I went in for Back surgery. As I thought I recovered I sold it and wanted a 911
back, my fourth 911. And just for your information since all you like to do is jump on people for no reason,
I now suffer from a GREAT deal of pain and cant even drive my C2S PDK. Now I am going back INTO surgery
on the 23rd of this month, for 3 disc replacement and to have two rods put in my back.
So go ahead and continue your trash talk

SPort mode is for spirited driving on the street. Sport plus is just too agressive for the street but then you dont have the intelligence to understand that.

With all the time you waste trying to be ugly to people you probably have NEVER driven a 997.2 C2S PDK. Its the best 911 I have owned out of 2 GT3s and one TT.

Next time you post on this kind of stuff do some research so you dont look like the TROLL you are.

Last edited by OldGuy; 06-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

give me a break

Nice post - not.. If you have no value to add, then why comment...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy

Quadcammer I see you havent picked up any intellect since I put you on my ignore list..

1. My opinion? Are you GOD?? Is your view all encompassing and all knowing?
I have a years of experience of the 993, the 996, the 997.1 and the 997.2.

2. As far as the 997.2 PDK goes, the sport plus mode is too edgy for normal street driving, its best suited for the track and that is a FACT.

3. In sport plus mode the computer holds the shifts to each redline. It wont use the overdrive gear and the suspension is VERY aggressive. Its basically for track ONLY, in fact you wold probably have maintenance issues coming up alot sooner driving it on the street. Its meant for the track. Do you drive around town at redline in 1st and 2nd gear? (well maybe YOU do)
the car SCREAMS when you are trying to drive it in sport plus in 1st gear and it sounds like its about to blow.
I had a 09 AMG for a year, before that 2 GT3s and a 993 TT.

So I bought the AMG for a year, while I went in for Back surgery. As I thought I recovered I sold it and wanted a 911
back, my fourth 911.

SPort mode is for spirited driving on the street. Sport plus is just too agressive for the street but then you dont have the intelligence to understand that.

With all the time you waste trying to be ugly to people you probably have NEVER driven a 997.2 C2S PDK. Its the best 911 I have owned out of 2 GT3s and one TT.
If I haven't picked up any intellect, you haven't picked up the ability to not post bull****.

Lets get started:

1. Opinions are great...and sometimes they are wrong. I could say that a toyota corolla is more fun to drive than a 997. Lets just say that I strongly disagree with your opinions.

2. Its not a fact. Some people like edgy, some don't. To say its a track only setting is just crap. The car is not a "pure track car" in any sense.

3. Congrats, the computer can do whatever it wants...you have the ability to change gear whenever you want. Do you not understand the difference between what the computer will permit you to do and what you can do? Its just like a manual. I CAN drive my manual vehicle at redline in 1st and 2nd gear, but that doesn't mean I do.

4. I remember your little experience with the C63. Maybe next time you should specify that when you say it drives like an MB, you meant it drives like the one or two MBs that ride like dump trucks. If it rode like the average mercedes, you could drive it even with your back problems.

5. Of course I've driven a DFI PDK. Its an acceptable performance vehicle. The ride quality is marginal (as you yourself admit), and I have zero interest in any sports car without 3 pedals and a stick in the middle, but the transmission was fine if you're into that sorta thing.

However, the car is not a "pure track car". Steering feel is meh, I found it to push quite a bit, very little exhaust note, brakes were fine, but I didn't love the pedal feel, etc etc.

good luck with your back surgery.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Rodksy posted:
Nice post - not.. If you have no value to add, then why comment...
Thats what QC does, takes the most benign topic and then cause a flame war.

I mean take his statement

give me a break
He is not even capable of looking at my sig to see I had 3 REALLY good track cars before my back started deteriorating. What I said came from 1st hand knowledge.
In the last 10 years I have only had one year without a 911. The year I had my first surgery, I drove the AMG. Then back into the 911.
Oh and I WAS going to buy a 2008 GT3RS, but once I drove the PDK I was blown away by this new 3.8 motor and PDK. That would have been my 3rd GT3. The 3.8 PDK is SO much more value for the price than the RS. But maybe he cant read.

Quick Reply: 993 vs 997