Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

OG, he's intentionally pulling your chain - just ignore him.

Best of luck with the back surgery btw. I'm typing this with my feet up on my desk - stupid me will probably will be in your situation in 20 years.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If I haven't picked up any intellect, you haven't picked up the ability to not post bull****.

Lets get started:

1. Opinions are great...and sometimes they are wrong. I could say that a toyota corolla is more fun to drive than a 997. Lets just say that I strongly disagree with your opinions.

2. Its not a fact. Some people like edgy, some don't. To say its a track only setting is just crap. The car is not a "pure track car" in any sense.

3. Congrats, the computer can do whatever it wants...you have the ability to change gear whenever you want. Do you not understand the difference between what the computer will permit you to do and what you can do? Its just like a manual. I CAN drive my manual vehicle at redline in 1st and 2nd gear, but that doesn't mean I do.

4. I remember your little experience with the C63. Maybe next time you should specify that when you say it drives like an MB, you meant it drives like the one or two MBs that ride like dump trucks. If it rode like the average mercedes, you could drive it even with your back problems.

5. Of course I've driven a DFI PDK. Its an acceptable performance vehicle. The ride quality is marginal (as you yourself admit), and I have zero interest in any sports car without 3 pedals and a stick in the middle, but the transmission was fine if you're into that sorta thing.

However, the car is not a "pure track car". Steering feel is meh, I found it to push quite a bit, very little exhaust note, brakes were fine, but I didn't love the pedal feel, etc etc.

good luck with your back surgery.
Still no value - apart from the last sentence.

1. 997's are more fun than Corolla's
2. Sport Plus is generally useless on street - i'd only use on track. Only use Sport and Normal (in bumper to bumper)
3. Huh?
4. Way I read OG's comment, is that PDK has multiple shifting personalities - in normal it shifts like a Lexus/Mercedes, in sports plus, shifting is optimized for the the track. PDK doesnt change the drive. The car is not a dedicated track car - obviously.
5. ??
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Rodsky
you got it perfect. I called the three modes:
1. Normal I call it Merritt mode, for my wife
2. Sports mode I call GT3 Mode
3. Sports plus mode I call track mode. Thats all its good for a metaphor really for a mode that just doesnt work on the track.

And this hooey about a stick crap, I dont remember seeing any F1 cars shifting without pushing a button. Thats where things are going. The PDK is a Automatic Manual transmission.
I guess you are smarter than 90% of Ferrari customers.
I guess the 3 pedal idea is good for NASCAR fans.

BTW I have a 5 speed manual 928. For what its worth.

Thanks Widenchef thats why he s on the ignore list.

Karen I wont post any more on this post since its been hijacked by this
guy, so if you need any more help email or PM.

But this thread REALLY peels back quadcammers personality. I havent posted with him for 2 years.
I post to help this young lady and he turns it into a flame war.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

WOW!! What can I say? This is a public forum and everyone has a right to their own opinion.

A few things that I like - SPEED AND POWER! I love being one with the car and feeling it breathe with you. I would love to have a track car, but don't have the money for two cars, since I doubt that a cab would make a good track car. Like I said earlier, one of the members thought I should check out the 993's and I didn't know how they would compare to the 997. But then again, I'm not sure how you compare a flat six with a TT - it would be like comparing apples and bananas.

Thanks OG for all the advice
Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow indeed... When you have soemone ask others to express their opinion, then to have others pick apart those opinions in a demeaning way is truly disheartening IMHO.

Karen you're spot on in building your budget... do your homework. I think the one thing everyone would agree on is the hunt is half the fun. Everyone's preferences vary and their opinions will reflect it... go figure
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

The choice really is between the 993 and then 997. I've looked closely at both. Looks and emotion? 993 no question but depending on the length of your drive more suitable for a weekend driver. My 8 minute drive to the office would not do it justice. The 997? Still beautiful, fast, better interior and more practical. It has a larger frunk! And can be very emotive depending on what exhaust configurations you order or add. If you love working on cars and tweaking and adding bits and pieces then the 993 is the one. All this IMHO of course. My plan is to add a 993 at some point in the near future.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The 993 is the ultimate evolution of the original air-cooled 911. It's the best car for the enthusiasts who have been driving 911s for decades. It sounds like a 911, it has the characteristic 911 aroma of leather and oil in the interior (from the old-school heat exchangers), and it drives like a 911 so you can get the tail out without the electronic genie saving your butt. If you've owned an old 911 -- 911SC, 3.2 Carrera etc., the 993 is instantly familiar and feels like an old friend. The hand-built quality is evident at each close of the bank-vault like doors and the heritage is there in the 5 gauges that have been there since 1965 and other things, like the pedal placement

The 997 is a superbly engineered, impeccably handling, extremely powerful modern sports car. The PDK transmission is marvelous. The car is faster, more comfortable and easier to drive and live with on a daily basis than the 993.

If you're going to drive it daily and you have no emotional attachment or history to the original 911, a 997 is a great choice. If you want to use the car for fun, and want to experience a little of the heritage and history that has kept the 911 around since 1965, find a well maintained example of a 993 and enjoy the car.

I look forward to owning a 997 someday. That being said, I've owned and daily driven 2 911SCs, 3 3.2 Carreras, a 930 Turbo, a Boxster, 8 993s and 2 996s over the last 21 years and keep coming back to the 993. The air cooled car seems to get in your blood and they are hard to live without once you've had a good one.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 993 now, and if I could afford an additional car, I would get a 997.2 PDK. Both look great in my opinion. Not having driven a 997 I'm in no position to comment there.

Question for the 997 folks: Does the lack of a spare tire cause any practical concern? I've had to use my spare once in five years, but I've wondered how it would feel to run without a spare at all. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense but drive them and make up your own mind. No one can answer this for you.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I have a 993 now, and if I could afford an additional car, I would get a 997.2 PDK. Both look great in my opinion. Not having driven a 997 I'm in no position to comment there.

Question for the 997 folks: Does the lack of a spare tire cause any practical concern? I've had to use my spare once in five years, but I've wondered how it would feel to run without a spare at all. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
You mean I have no spare - live and learn . Jokes aside, maybe I should be more worried but I have owned my current Porsche's for 6 years and have had no need for a spare and I live in LA.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 993 now, and if I could afford an additional car, I would get a ...
997 GT3 (or better yet a 997 GT3RS). But my 993 is still nice to have.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little OCD and I have to admit it's always in the back of my mind when I go on a road trip. Certainly doesn't bother me on the commute to work, but for longer trips I take a jack and puncture repair kit. $30 all in. Peace of mind in the event of a nail in the tyre though hopeless if the sidewall tears. And yes, it does happen. In fact I've had both in the last 3 years.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karen,

have you driven either of these models by now? Would love to hear your opinion. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I do believe you cannot go wrong with either car. Which suits best to your needs is of course up to you...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferdie
Karen,

have you driven either of these models by now? Would love to hear your opinion. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I do believe you cannot go wrong with either car. Which suits best to your needs is of course up to you...
I CANNOT WAIT TO DRIVE THEM Went to the car dealership and got the ROYAL run around - thought I was going to pull my hair out!! If I understand everyone correctly, the 993 is raw power and the 997 is power with champagne and who doesn't like a little champagne
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It's really a tough call since both the 993 and 997 are awesome. Personally if I had extra money to buy something else I would get an Arena Red C2S with MT and a few basic options. It would be the perfect companion to the Spyder.

Having said that, don't let your son be the deciding factor on the Boxster S, go drive one before coming to a conclusion (Unless you need the extra space behind the seats).

You mentioned that you like to feel one with the car and that is exactly what the Boxster offers....at least that's how my Spyder feels. I will readily admit that it doesn't have the same punch as a GT3 but it makes up for it in every other way. Truly a drivers car.

Quick Reply: 993 vs 997