Sponsored by:

Sunoco gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
GT + is not street legal. We buy it by the 55 gal drum, not at the pump. You're right there.

However it is def high in ethanol content. Again, THE LABEL ON THE 55 GAL BARREL reads; "Ethanol and Gasoline Mixture", that's word for word, ON THE LABEL, and further more ethanol is listed first, indicating more than 50% ethanol.

The Sunoco site makes no mention of the ethanol content, but I do believe the 260 GT+ label when it says Ethanol is in the contents.

Yes, it was MTBE.

Sunoco doesn't spell out the eth content of the GT+.

The label on the 260 GT+ lists Ethanol first on its contents label.

Wouldn't that indicate eth as the major component? I was told this stuff is LOADED with eth.

Phil
The street legal unleaded stuff that's available retail at Infineon is called Sunoco 100 on the pump and is what I use to mix with my 91 octane. It appears to be a completely different animal from the Sunoco 260 GT+ you're referring to. I will do more checking but I'm feeling more confident now based on the info coming out in this thread that the Sunoco 100 is not going to cause a problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Oh, and he mentioned something I never heard but most people at the tech session knew of which was to never get gas at a station that has a fuel delivery truck at it. Wait a day or two for the sediment that was stirred ul to settle.
yeah, i did this once with S2000... blew my engine due to bad gas+9k rev's... gas had water in it, went way lean and blew engine.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The street legal unleaded stuff that's available retail at Infineon is called Sunoco 100 on the pump and is what I use to mix with my 91 octane. It appears to be a completely different animal from the Sunoco 260 GT+ you're referring to. I will do more checking but I'm feeling more confident now based on the info coming out in this thread that the Sunoco 100 is not going to cause a problem.
Hi Mike

That is likely Sunoco 260 GT or a special blend for California. Not 260GT+

Should be no issue using in your car.
FYI: I gave mixing a try for an entire season. It's not worth it if you have 93 pump gas available. For 91 it may have some benefit.
If you want more performance, look for other things to spend your money on.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by RollingArt
GT + is not street legal. We buy it by the 55 gal drum, not at the pump. You're right there.

However it is def high in ethanol content. Again, THE LABEL ON THE 55 GAL BARREL reads; "Ethanol and Gasoline Mixture", that's word for word, ON THE LABEL, and further more ethanol is listed first, indicating more than 50% ethanol.

The Sunoco site makes no mention of the ethanol content, but I do believe the 260 GT+ label when it says Ethanol is in the contents.

Yes, it was MTBE.

Sunoco doesn't spell out the eth content of the GT+.

The label on the 260 GT+ lists Ethanol first on its contents label.

Wouldn't that indicate eth as the major component? I was told this stuff is LOADED with eth.

Phil
Phil... You are correct, and I was wrong. I assumed that the placard was generic. UN 3475 refers to fuels that are between E-11 and E-94.

UN 1203 is for fuels with less than 10% ethanol.

Sorry for my error.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Isn't it interesting that Sunoco spells out the ethanol content on all the other products in the spec sheet, does not list ethanol content on the 260GT+, but clearly indicates on the barrel that ethanol is a major component. I wonder what's up with that?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have purchased fuel from distributior of sunaco race fuel in 50 gallon barrel,s- they have 100 / 110 octane, yes it's a pain in the az but it's the real deal. They will deliver if you order 8 barrels (lift truck)- try putting that in your garage-wife went nuts- other wise go to where the sprint and roundy round race tracks are - the local tracks have gas stations that cater to 100 octane crowd- much less expensive than at the track
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by roadblock
I have purchased fuel from distributior of sunaco race fuel in 50 gallon barrel,s- they have 100 / 110 octane, yes it's a pain in the az but it's the real deal. They will deliver if you order 8 barrels (lift truck)- try putting that in your garage-wife went nuts- other wise go to where the sprint and roundy round race tracks are - the local tracks have gas stations that cater to 100 octane crowd- much less expensive than at the track
It's the real deal, but for a stock 997 a waste of money.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Hi Mike

That is likely Sunoco 260 GT or a special blend for California. Not 260GT+

Should be no issue using in your car.
FYI: I gave mixing a try for an entire season. It's not worth it if you have 93 pump gas available. For 91 it may have some benefit.
If you want more performance, look for other things to spend your money on.
Thanks, Skibum. The issue here in CA is that 93 octane is not available, just 91. Someone wrote to Car and Driver recently about the difference between using 91 and 93 in road tests. C&D uses 91 because they are based in CA, but they have done comparisons with 93 in some cars. The differences were not insignificant; I believe it was an Aston Martin Vantage that they said showed an improvement of 3 or 4 tenths in the quarter. Chalk it up to poor engine management software maybe, and perhaps the improvement wouldn't be the same for a Porsche. Still when autox's are won by thousandths of a second I figure it can't hurt to blend up to 93. I don't bother for the street.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closest station to my house is Sunoco! Open 24/7, 93 pump, owner is operator. The place is spotless, station is squared away. If interior/ exterior is gtg, I sort of think the filters on his pumps might be changed regularly (I hope!). They even discount for cash.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Sunoco gas