Sponsored by:

Sunoco gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Ethanol is the killer for our cars. I work in the industry and I can tell you BP will by far put in the most ethanol into their gasoline. BP tries to maximize profit per gallon. Shell and Exxon Mobil are a lot less efficient.
Gas sold with a higher Ethanol content than 10% would be marketed as E15.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
The ethanol content of Sunoco 100 octane (260GT) is 9%. Local gas around here has 10%
IIRC the 260GT is the only street legal high octane blend.
Where did you get the 9% # from?

And then why does it cause such a decrease in mileage?

Phil
Old 05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Skibum
Banned

http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...unoco260GT.htm

I used the stuff for a year at about 25% mix with hi-test. I saw no loss of mileage until I started depressing the loud pedal a bit more.

260GT is available in "handy" 15 gallon barrels.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The farm lobby is pushing Congress hard to require E15 to be the standard. It's my understanding the auto manufactures are pushing back because of the known damage this will cause to our engines. To me, this is very worrisome no matter what you drive. And to top it off you will get less MPG.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...unoco260GT.htm

I used the stuff for a year at about 25% mix with hi-test. I saw no loss of mileage until I started depressing the loud pedal a bit more.

260GT is available in "handy" 15 gallon barrels.
OK, thanks. Interesting.

In CA we may actually be getting the 260 gold, as it is listed CA street legal and the 260 GT is not CA street legal. They probably can't sell it at the pump if not street legal. The 260 gold is listed as 97+ octane and no additional info is listed like they do for the 260 GT. Maybe the gold is loaded with ethanol? That's why I'm seeing a drop in mileage? It gets confusing. They're keeping us in the dark on that one.

Phil
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Gas is gas, and the EPA specs it for all refineries because they all share space in a nationwide pipeline system.

If you are in Houston and you think you are buying Conoco gas, it was made by Shell.

If you are in Oklahoma and you think you are buying Shell gas, it was made by Conoco.

The majors trade barrels all over the country depending on the location of their stores versus that of their refineries. In other words, there is no guarantee that the Sunoco fuel you bought today was actually refined by Sunoco.

What retailers DO with the fuel when it gets to their stations, can vary. I recommend only buying fuel from reputable retailers who stand behind what they sell, and who don't gouge you on price.

10% ethanol blends may vary within a percent or so, but refiners do not purposely blend 8 or 9 percent, to be sold from dispensers with product "not exceeding" 10%. The variance can be accounted for in any number of ways, human error included. But generally they shoot for 10%. Their are economic factors (costs, liability) if they blended less or more than 10%.

Ethanol is an octane booster. In central Oklahoma when you buy regular unleaded with a minimum octane rating of 87, you are actually getting fuel that rates over 89, because the component unleaded fuel available in the market already specs at 87, thus getting a boost to over 89 when ethanol is added. In some markets, refiners now product a "sub-grade" unleaded that absolutely REQUIRES ethanol in order to meet minimum octane requirements. For reasons that will take a few pages to explain, I think the whole country is headed this direction, by the way. I think that in a year or two, it will be very difficult to find clear gas in most major markets. You can thank your government for that.

Your car will run fine on E-10. You will lose 2-3% of your miles per gallon, but you should be making that up on the price of the product versus E-10.

FWIW, from somebody in the business...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Some 76 stations in CA carry the Sunoco 100 race gas. (but I don't suggest using it)

I used to fill up there and mix in approx. 30% 100. Until I found out that they get the 100 octane rating by using a high percentage of ethanol. You can check their website and look up the fuel's composition. It does not list the ethanol content of the 100 per say. It does list the "oxygen weight" percentage, which they get using ethanol. That number was close to the Suonco 260 GT+(104 octane) that we use in the BMW race cars, and I know that the 104 is close to being an e85 gas (meaning 85% ethanol) in it's oxygenation #.

If you look through the race gas #'s, you can see that most all are heavily "oxygenated" (ethanol) Even Nascar is running the ethanol fuels, and I understand there is a problem of what to do with left over fuel at the end of a race weekend because of water contamination fears. Sunoco will not take any fuel back and mix it back in with the fresh.

I also noticed about a 25% drop in my fuel mileage using this mix. You probably don't notice this since you're using the fuel for driving events and would be getting low mileage any way.

Bottom line, anyone who fears what the long term effects of ethanol use may be, should avoid putting Sunoco 100 race gas in their $100,000 Porsche. Remember, Porsche has approved the use of e10 fuel only. People are concerned about our fuel going to e15 or e20. I would suggest that running e50+ is a bad idea.t

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consum...UnleadedFuels/

Phil
Thanks for the info, Phil. Interesting and concerning. The various fuels do have different oxygen contents which makes me wonder what the specific content of the Sunoco 100 is. Also, any idea how the oxygen content number relates to the percentage of ethanol; ie can you calculate one if you know the other or are there other factors involved?

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Also, unless reprogrammed, the engine management software is optimized for 93 octane fuel. Using a higher octane fuel really won't provide any advantage and may actually be detrimental. Unless you are using a 100 octane program it's not worth the extra $$ IMHO.
True. I was aware of that which is why I only blend enough 100 octane to bring the combined fuel octane to something over 93. With Phil's post above, however, I may rethink this whole thing pending additional info.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for the info, Phil. Interesting and concerning. The various fuels do have different oxygen contents which makes me wonder what the specific content of the Sunoco 100 is. Also, any idea how the oxygen content number relates to the percentage of ethanol; ie can you calculate one if you know the other or are there other factors involved?

True. I was aware of that which is why I only blend enough 100 octane to bring the combined fuel octane to something over 93. With Phil's post above, however, I may rethink this whole thing pending additional info.
My opinion, but it's unlikely that any fuel contains more than 10% ethanol if is is sold at retail stations, unless it is labeled as having an ethanol content in excess of 10%. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. The Sunoco site posted above labels the fuels that have ethanol in excess of 10% by volume. The others contain varying amounts from 0 to 10%, according to the Sunoco specs.

Last edited by Domer911; 05-11-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
My opinion, but it's unlikely that any fuel contains more than 10% ethanol if is is sold at retail stations, unless it is labeled as having an ethanol content in excess of 10%. HIGHLY UNLIKELY. The Sunoco site posted above labels the fuels that have ethanol in excess of 10% by volume. The others contain varying amounts from 0 to 10%, according to the Sunoco specs.
That's reassuring, Domer. It should say on the pump what the ethanol content is and I'll check the next time I'm there. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's reassuring, Domer. It should say on the pump what the ethanol content is and I'll check the next time I'm there. Thanks.
What I am suggesting is that if the fuel contains in excess of 10% ethanol, it will be labeled accordingly. It MAY not reflect the ethanol content if it contains 10% or less. Those labeling laws vary by state. Interestingly, many of the big ethanol-producing states do not have any labeling requirements for E-10. More trivia...for many years (ten possibly) California refiners have had ethanol quantities of around 5% in their fuels. The ethanol replaced another compound that was eventually outlawed. So CA Porsche drivers have been burning ethanol for a long time.

But if you are concerned that they are sneaking more than 10% into your fuel of choice, I don't think they do that without labeling it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

What I am suggesting is that if the fuel contains in excess of 10% ethanol, it will be labeled accordingly.
But if you are concerned that they are sneaking more than 10% into your fuel of choice, I don't think they do that without labeling it.

Good to get a view from the "inside". I hope you're right.

I just looked at the label of the 260 GT+ barrel we have here. It reads " ethanol and gasoline mixture un3475", with ethanol listed first. That would indicate more than 50% ethanol, no?

Great input Domer, thanks.

Phil

p.s. I must have been lead footing it when I saw my mpg drop!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Skibum
Banned

FYI 260 GT plus is not street legal. I think it is 0% ethanol. Most likely uses an ether for octane enhancement.. (MTBE)
UM 3475 is only the hazmat designation.

http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...o260GTPlus.htm

Plus.. being highly oxygenated, you'll get lousy fuel mileage
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Good to get a view from the "inside". I hope you're right.

I just looked at the label of the 260 GT+ barrel we have here. It reads " ethanol and gasoline mixture un3475", with ethanol listed first. That would indicate more than 50% ethanol, no?

Great input Domer, thanks.

Phil

p.s. I must have been lead footing it when I saw my mpg drop!
I speak only to what's available to the public at retail. (I know nothing about what you might get industrially or at the track) You can visit the Sunoco site linked above and check out the specs of the 260GT+.

But I think MTBE was outlawed, as that is the component that ethanol replaced in CA years ago.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

FYI 260 GT plus is not street legal. I think it is 0% ethanol. Most likely uses an ether for octane enhancement.. (MTBE)
GT + is not street legal. We buy it by the 55 gal drum, not at the pump. You're right there.

However it is def high in ethanol content. Again, THE LABEL ON THE 55 GAL BARREL reads; "Ethanol and Gasoline Mixture", that's word for word, ON THE LABEL, and further more ethanol is listed first, indicating more than 50% ethanol.

The Sunoco site makes no mention of the ethanol content, but I do believe the 260 GT+ label when it says Ethanol is in the contents.

I speak only to what's available to the public at retail. (I know nothing about what you might get industrially or at the track) You can visit the Sunoco site linked above and check out the specs of the 260GT+.

But I think MTBE was outlawed, as that is the component that ethanol replaced in CA years ago.
Yes, it was MTBE.

Sunoco doesn't spell out the eth content of the GT+.

The label on the 260 GT+ lists Ethanol first on its contents label.

Wouldn't that indicate eth as the major component? I was told this stuff is LOADED with eth.

Phil
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

When I used to live in OKC I had a place with an exclusive easement for the Mobil Pipeline company--for unleaded gasoline. Why oh why did I ever sell that place? What a goldmine that could have been...

Quick Reply: Sunoco gas