What's on these car's windows?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Spraying armorall or the like around?
Nope. Whatever I use on the interior goes on a piece of fabric first or for the windshield, paper towel.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Here are some window cleaning tips I can give you:

1) Make you own window cleaner
2) Mix 1 part denatured alcohol, to 2 parts distilled water in a spray bottle
3) Use only 100% white terry cloth towels
4) Dedicate these towels to only window duty
5) Never wash these towels (or any of your car detailing towels) with fabric softener, careful, many detergents have hidden fabric softener
6) Spray one towel with window cleaner to clean glass
7) Use a second, dry towel, to polish the glass dry
8) Glass needs to be cool, out of the sun
9) For large areas, front and back, devide the area into 2 sections

I suspect, part of your current problem is that the towels you are using are contaminated with fabric softener.
Thanks for the formula. I'll try it. As for towels and fabric softener....I know what it does so that's not it. Besides, I don't use towels on the inside of the windows anyway and this junk is on the inside. Something else is going on. Synthetics giving off gases that stick to the inside of the glass sounds like a possibility but why only to the front and the back? My side windows clean up beautifully with no streaks.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Nope. Whatever I use on the interior goes on a piece of fabric first or for the windshield, paper towel.
I'm sure you're right but I can tell you from experience that even a neatly armoralled dash will throw off a vapor when it gets hot from sitting in the sun and deposit it onto the glass. A good glass cleaner/defogger and elbow grease should have gotten that off however. Post the answer when you find it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thanks for the formula. I'll try it. As for towels and fabric softener....I know what it does so that's not it. Besides, I don't use towels on the inside of the windows anyway and this junk is on the inside. Something else is going on. Synthetics giving off gases that stick to the inside of the glass sounds like a possibility but why only to the front and the back? My side windows clean up beautifully with no streaks.
Stop using paper towels. Go to a Target store, and buy in bulk their white terry cloth cleaning towels near the automotive section. They come in a pack of about 12. I think their brand is called something like "Vrooom". They are pretty good for windows. Bigger than a wash clothe but not as big as a hand towel.

What are you using on your interior?

Both my Porsche have full leather interiors. Meaning, both have leather dashes. I have very successfully used Zaino Z10 and products from ColorPlus.com for my leather. On the vinyl, I only use Aerospace 303.

I've won a few PCA Concours events with this formula and products, so I know they work.

Don't buy window cleaner, make your own.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

HI NoH20
How often should I condition the leather on my '07 997 with 7200miles? I am the second owner. I don't think the leather has been touched yet. I have a full leather interior. Still smells new. I looked up the Zaino Z10. Looks good to me.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by cpbmd
HI NoH20
How often should I condition the leather on my '07 997 with 7200miles? I am the second owner. I don't think the leather has been touched yet. I have a full leather interior. Still smells new. I looked up the Zaino Z10. Looks good to me.
Thanks for your opinion.
Hey Constantine, I have Sand Beige full leather in my Boxster, looks better than the day I picked it up at the dealership, 5 years and 40,000 miles ago!

I condition the leather, at least once per year, prior to winter hibernation. The Boxster is only drive April/May till mid October. Using a windshield sun shade helps a ton too, to protect the leather from the sun.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Great. I have the sand beige leather too. I am going to order a bottle of that Zaino stuff you use and feed my leather this spring. I love the full leather interior. It is amazing and I want to keep it that way. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I got to get a sun shade too. BTW those seats in your Pcar are awesome. Must really lock you in. I could have used it this past weekend at the Porsche Car Control clinic. I was sliding all over the seat especially when the instructor was driving.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by cpbmd
BTW those seats in your Pcar are awesome. Must really lock you in. I could have used it this past weekend at the Porsche Car Control clinic. I was sliding all over the seat especially when the instructor was driving.
Thanks! That's my 993 Turbo. Seats are great! I have the originals too. I just recently changed my avatar, and have received a few of the same compliments. Funny.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Stop using paper towels. Go to a Target store, and buy in bulk their white terry cloth cleaning towels near the automotive section. They come in a pack of about 12. I think their brand is called something like "Vrooom". They are pretty good for windows. Bigger than a wash clothe but not as big as a hand towel.
Got those earlier today. Thanks

What are you using on your interior?
Sonus (full leather).
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But don't those white terry cloth have lints? Why not use microfiber towels, the ones that are designed to clean windows?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by TooSixy
But don't those white terry cloth have lints? Why not use microfiber towels, the ones that are designed to clean windows?
No lint issues here. Wash before using the new towels.

Quick Reply: What's on these car's windows?