Sponsored by:

PDK questions re: automatic shifting and kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK questions re: automatic shifting and kickdown

Seemed to find some answers w/ search on kickdown but not on if you can disable the computer from automatically upshifting when it reaches redline. On a C2S is there a way to override in sport or sport plus mode the computer from shifting automatically, i.e. keep it completely manual control for the driver? Also i've read here about the kickdown pedal button and curious if that always downshifts when "clicked" in all modes. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

"..disable the computer from automatically upshifting..."

To accomplish what, continuous rev-limiter activation...?

"..always downshifts when "clicked"..."

That would be a bit foolish, self-destructing DSG or engine..?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwest
"..disable the computer from automatically upshifting..."

To accomplish what, continuous rev-limiter activation...?

So the answer then is there is no way to disable the computer from upshifting automatically?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Well, you can put it in 'manual' mode. Then it won't upshift at redline. Or, just drive around in circles - I believe it won't shift in a corner. Otherwise, the computer will shift when appropriate, such as at redline.

And the whole purpose of the 'kickdown' mode is to drop down a few gears into the appropriate gear for rapid acceleration given your current speed. So yes, if you activate the 'kickdown' mode, it will downshift. (sort of what the 'down' in 'kickdown' means) In 'sport' or 'sport plus' modes, it may drop to a lower gear than it would in 'normal' mode, but it will downshift unless you are in 1st gear.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

it wont up shift if you're in manual. it just bounces off the limiter. thats why its called manual not trying to be snotty.

if you dont want kickdown - dont depress past the click which activates it.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonNY
Seemed to find some answers w/ search on kickdown but not on if you can disable the computer from automatically upshifting when it reaches redline. On a C2S is there a way to override in sport or sport plus mode the computer from shifting automatically, i.e. keep it completely manual control for the driver? Also i've read here about the kickdown pedal button and curious if that always downshifts when "clicked" in all modes. Thanks.
No matter what you do it is an automatic transmission, for better or worse. One of the better features is that it will resist the drivers attempts to destroy it's engine. You should probably be grateful for that.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
pcostinha
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
No matter what you do it is an automatic transmission, for better or worse. One of the better features is that it will resist the drivers attempts to destroy it's engine. You should probably be grateful for that.
I agree. Is the way to protect the engine.
Guys you remember the problems of the carrera 996? A lot of engines have problems because the drivers exceed the max rpm.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky
it wont up shift if you're in manual. it just bounces off the limiter. thats why its called manual not trying to be snotty.

if you dont want kickdown - dont depress past the click which activates it.
Thanks. That's what I was referring to, in manual mode. Some similar systems still upshift automatically in manual mode unless you're in some sort of sport or race mode as well, is why I asked.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Tip will automatically upshift at the redline, which I actually quite like- saves the trouble of having to precision-time redline shifts. Why doesn't PDK do the same?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Tip will automatically upshift at the redline, which I actually quite like- saves the trouble of having to precision-time redline shifts. Why doesn't PDK do the same?
It will - in Sport Plus mode.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
It will - in Sport Plus mode.
Interesting, so in manual setting with Sport Plus on the car shifts at redline automatically with PDK? Is sport plus the mode that gives faster shift times with PDK or is that the regular sport mode?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonNY
Interesting, so in manual setting with Sport Plus on the car shifts at redline automatically with PDK? Is sport plus the mode that gives faster shift times with PDK or is that the regular sport mode?
No - in Manual, the only AUTO shifts are downshifts when stopping and downshift on kickdown. All this is in the Manual plus a lot more. It is really worth reading if you have a PDK car.

There's also a PDF around on the WEB you can look for called "2009_Technik_Introduction_All_997_Carrera_models" that goes into even more detail.

Sport Plus in Auto will not shift until redline or very close.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Well, you can put it in 'manual' mode. Then it won't upshift at redline. Or, just drive around in circles - I believe it won't shift in a corner. Otherwise, the computer will shift when appropriate, such as at redline.

And the whole purpose of the 'kickdown' mode is to drop down a few gears into the appropriate gear for rapid acceleration given your current speed. So yes, if you activate the 'kickdown' mode, it will downshift. (sort of what the 'down' in 'kickdown' means) In 'sport' or 'sport plus' modes, it may drop to a lower gear than it would in 'normal' mode, but it will downshift unless you are in 1st gear.
"..the whole purpose.."

No, the ECU firmware for automatic transmissions will "kick-down" if the engine begins to knock/ping due to "lugging". It will also kick down automatically if the parametric, "learned", memory indicates the region you wish to operate in, say staying in a tall gear as you begin up an incline, will be detrimental, engine or transmission
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
wwest
Drifting

Again, why would anyone wish to "nuzzle" along at red-line at the rev-limiter "limit"...?

Except maybe top gear, top speed...?

What am I missing here...?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:30 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwest
Again, why would anyone wish to "nuzzle" along at red-line at the rev-limiter "limit"...?

Except maybe top gear, top speed...?

What am I missing here...?
It's only to avoid double upshifting, i.e. full throttle condition, computer shifts a split second before you pull the paddle and the result is the transmission goes up two gears instead of one.

Quick Reply: PDK questions re: automatic shifting and kickdown