Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK questions re: automatic shifting and kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Simple...Sport Plus Mode, do not push the accel pedal past the kick down button and PDK will not up shift and it will just bounce off the rev limiter.

I use this on the track when I am coming right up to red line and do not want it to up shift...Sebring right before T13 for example.....simpe and easy to do.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if you dont want it to shift, dont kickdown.. dont do the "click"

kickdown is for max accel=shifting at redline.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:23 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Simple...Sport Plus Mode, do not push the accel pedal past the kick down button and PDK will not up shift and it will just bounce off the rev limiter.

I use this on the track when I am coming right up to red line and do not want it to up shift...Sebring right before T13 for example.....simpe and easy to do.
Wouldn't it be smoother to leave it in manual and modulate the throttle to hold it just below the limiter? I have spent an entire lifetime (poetic license) developing the "take foot off throttle" reflex when the limiter interrupts the motor. Driving foot on the floor with the limiter interrupting seems counter productive and anything but smooth. I could see how it might build a false sense of security in the other drivers however Btw I see your credentials and I am humbled. But perplexed.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Wouldn't it be smoother to leave it in manual and modulate the throttle to hold it just below the limiter? I have spent an entire lifetime (poetic license) developing the "take foot off throttle" reflex when the limiter interrupts the motor. Driving foot on the floor with the limiter interrupting seems counter productive and anything but smooth. I could see how it might build a false sense of security in the other drivers however Btw I see your credentials and I am humbled. But perplexed.
Hope I'm not misleading you....I don't bounce off the rev limiter. I am aware of reline and shift right at or a 100rpm before it.

Actually at the track in sport plus mode the car will up shift and down shift automatically just as good as using PDK in manual mode. Speed Merchants races a 09 PDK Carrera S and they do not shift the car...sport plus auto mode for the race. I've been driving more in auto mode than manual mode and checking that out...very cool and interesting stuff.

But what I was trying to get at for the OP is just put the car in Sport Plus Mode and do not go past the kick down click with the pedal and the car will hold the gear....so yes you can modulate the throttle in a turn all you need to. PDK will do this either in manual or auto mode....sport mode holds the gear.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would any automatic transmission be programmed for a double upshift, WOT, and having just hit the redline in the current gear ratio...??

Seems nonsensical.

Oh, now I see..

It upshifts automatically the first time due to reaching redline and then follows your instruction, within milliseconds instruction, to upshift yet again.

Notify Porsche, that's most definitely a design flaw that can and should be fixed. Fixed rather easily via firmware modification/revision.

In that situation the firmware should be programmed to ignore a driver upshift command when it is given virtually simultaneously, or within milliseconds after, an automatic, redline, upshift.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by wwest
Why would any automatic transmission be programmed for a double upshift, WOT, and having just hit the redline in the current gear ratio...??

Seems nonsensical.

Oh, now I see..

It upshifts automatically the first time due to reaching redline and then follows your instruction, within milliseconds instruction, to upshift yet again.

Notify Porsche, that's most definitely a design flaw that can and should be fixed. Fixed rather easily via firmware modification/revision.
There is no double upshift issue with PDK. Not sure how you read that from my posts. I donlt think we are on the same page or understanding each other.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Perhaps this will help:

Driving in selector-lever position “M”, Sport button active
Upshifts and downshifts can be performed both on the steering wheel and using the
selector lever. Gearshift comfort is thus adaptive over the entire operating range
and adapts to suit the driver's individual driving style, but basic sportiness is
increased. The engine torque is reduced only slightly while changing gears. Downshifts
in deceleration state are accomplished with intermediate throttle application.
To avoid under-revving and the associated loss of driving comfort, the current gear
is switched down to the next lower gear at an engine speed of less than approx.
1,200 rpm. An upshift at the engine speed limit is only accomplished if there is a
kickdown in the speed limiting range (panic shifting).

The vehicle always moves off in 1st gear.
The Launch Control function (racing start) is not available.

Driving in selector-lever position “M”, Sport Plus button active
Upshifts and downshifts can be performed both on the steering wheel and using the
selector lever. Gearshifts are not adaptive and are purely performance-oriented with
a loss of comfort. In addition, the engine torque is not reduced while changing
gears. Downshifts in deceleration state involve quick and audible intermediate throttle
application with a sporty sound. To avoid under-revving and the associated loss
of driving comfort, the current gear is switched down to the next lower gear at an
engine speed of less than approx. 1,200 rpm. An upshift at the engine speed limit is
only accomplished if there is a kickdown in the engine speed limit range (panic shifting).

The vehicle always moves off in 1st gear. 7th gear is not used in this program.
The Launch Control function (racing start) is available.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:22 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Seems nonsensical.

Oh, now I see..

Notify Porsche, that's most definitely a design flaw that can and should be fixed. Fixed rather easily via firmware

modification/revision.

In that situation the firmware should be programmed to ignore a driver upshift command when it is given virtually simultaneously, or within milliseconds after, an automatic, redline, upshift.
Huh? No such thing as a double upshift..
Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems nonsensical.

Oh, now I see..

I am not sure whether this is a real problem or just a theoretical one that exists in the mind of op.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why so much mystery about PDK? Once you have the car a couple days and the owner's manual, it's not that hard to sort out.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
All this is in the Manual plus a lot more. It is really worth reading if you have a PDK car.
Why so much mystery about PDK? Once you have the car a couple days and the owner's manual, it's not that hard to sort out.
Steve, what's all this crazy talk about reading the manual?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Exactly...I don't get it either. I had PDK figured out on the test drive of 15 minutes.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Pe.Erre
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK, disabling automatic upshifting in M mode (disable kickdown switch)

Hi all,

I am racing driver and during the last seven years I have participated in all racetrack events of the Porsche Club of Brazil (and others private track days), always driving Porsches with manual gearbox.

Recently I bought a 997.2 Carrera S PDK to drive in manual mode, but I did not like the PDK system shifiting gears up automatically, especially in the middle of corners, leaving the car without traction.

With a simple change in the accelerador control the car is now improved for track days (only upshifting). I removed the original kickdown switch and installed a fixed hand made part, with exactly the same measures of original piece.

The electronic pedal remains the full throttle, but stops before sending the signal to upshifiting. Now I can control the gearbox to use all 8K rpm of engine, using the paddle shifters steering wheel.

The system is similar the new 991 GT3 PDK-S without kickdown, and can to be installed in any model Porsche PDK.

I hope you enjoy.

--
2009 997.2 Carrera S, White/Terracota, PDK
2008 997 GT2, White/Dark grey, Manual (sold)
2008 997 Turbo, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
1996 993 Turbo, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
2011 987.2 Boxster S, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
2001 986 Boxster S, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: PDK questions re: automatic shifting and kickdown