Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Carrera S - mild brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross74
What I mean by brake feel, is mostly the fact that the pedal is starting to feel a bit mushy after 15,000 miles, and early fade signs start quicker on fast road driving over mountains etc.
Sounds like you just need new fluid. You may have even boiled it at some point, though that's hard to do off the track.

The first used 997 I test drove had horrible mushy brakes, and I asked the salesman "WTF? is this what the brakes are like?" and of course being a moron/liar salesman he was like "yeah the older models are mushy like that". Of course it's not true, the car just had old or low fluid.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Sounds like you just need new fluid. You may have even boiled it at some point, though that's hard to do off the track.

The first used 997 I test drove had horrible mushy brakes, and I asked the salesman "WTF? is this what the brakes are like?" and of course being a moron/liar salesman he was like "yeah the older models are mushy like that". Of course it's not true, the car just had old or low fluid.
+1!

It always amazes me how brake fluid is skipped in car maintenance, people change all sorts of other fluid regularly, this should come into regular intervals specially for sports cars!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would inspect current pads to determine remaining pad thickness. I would think heavy braking in mountain environments could be part of your issue. I would also consider flushing out the brake fluid. A quality DOT 4 would be recommended. The higher the "wet boiling temp" the better.

OEM pads will give you the best compromise (grip, dust, noise, feel etc) out there.. that's why the factory chose them

How many miles are on the car? How old is the brake fluid?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:28 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Ross,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water form the air, even in a closed system. Porsche recommends changing brake fluid every 2 years, more often with heavy use (i.e. repeated hard breaking).
Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
IMGT3
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Ross,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water form the air, even in a closed system. Porsche recommends changing brake fluid every 2 years, more often with heavy use (i.e. repeated hard breaking).
+1, brake pad inspection and a brake fluid flush is step one. you don't track the car frequently so SS or bradded lines would provide no real be benefit. Chuck
Old 05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If the stock pads are OK, why not just upgrade the brake lines and put in new fluid? Or at the very least, flush/bleed the lines.

Sounds like that will address the issues you describe.
No need to waste money on braided brake lines on new 997's. Stock lines are perfectly fine for street and track.

Fluid will not really change the feel on the brakes but something like Motul RBF 600 or 660 will help on the track due to it's higher boil temp.

Stock pads on the track are fine for your 1st few DE's or so...depends on the track and how quick you grasp performance driving at a DE.

When you start to get into threshold braking for the turns that require this technique you will fine that you can over heat the stock pads and you will need to move to a pad that can handle these temps.

There is not a pad out there that can do both perfectly well....street and track. You will have to swap pads out for your events.

Also think of race pads and r-comp tires as a complete package....you need both to really work well.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Carrera S - mild brake upgrade?