Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of trading in 10' C2S for an R8 v8 please brothers knowck some sense into me

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:45 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default thinking of trading in 10' C2S for an R8 v8 please brothers knowck some sense into me

just went to the Audi showroom and i was amazed at the quality of the interior and workmanship of that car. how the door closes, the leather, the stitching everything oozes with quality not to mention how good looking the car is!!! Im being sucked into the brand but i know Porsche performance is something totally different. Brothers please rescue me....i dont want to spend and make a wrong decision.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are very nice cars..... I especially like the interior with carbon.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

do it.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never experienced a finer interior than in my Audi. I think they're great cars. I love the look of the R8 too. If it were the V10 I'd say it was a "no brainer". A 997.2 C2S is a great car too. You're lucky to have such problems.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

R8 V8 is nice to look at, numb to drive compared to my 911.
I also find the style to be very much "flavor of the week" - remember how awesome the original Audi TT looked when it came out? Have you seen one recently? Did you notice how lame it looks? That's the R8 style to me.

However, I have also driven my friend's R8 V10...omg what an engine!
I also LOVE the gated shifter.
Frakking Ferrari eliminates the gated shifter and it takes Audi to remind them how to do it. /sheesh.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A friend of mine had one for awhile. Mostly he has Porsches. Audi didn't treat him well at all. They had problems with the car (recalls) which forced the car to sit a lot. For example, they would cite a recall, get his car in, and then finally get around to ordering the parts for it. It was off the road a lot of the time.

When he did get to drive it he got tied of all the nose prints on the side windows. It just maybe too much attention.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

First, I love Audi. I've owned 3 including an S4 Avant and our current A3 TDI. The S4 might have been one of the most entertaining, trouble free cars I've ever owned. I've seen the R8 up close and the fit and finish is beautiful, like all Audis.

That said, it's no quicker (slower if you have PDK), gets significantly worse mileage, and has no back seat and less luggage room. Yes it's pretty and the flavor of the day but the 911 is timeless and beautiful too. An R8 V8 with the options you're going to want will be well north of $130K. I'd be surprised if you could get more the $80K for your Carrera. If the swap is worth 50 grand, then go for it.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

I guess you must want a slower car that's arguably prettier and pay extra for that privilege. go for it. If you want pretty with better performance and sound, get a F430.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've driven it and enjoyed it, then do it. (Though really a GTR is a very similar car and just better in almost every way except badge)

Personally I didn't enjoy my R8 test drive. At slow around-town speeds it just feels really big and sluggish and hard to maneuver (I'm sure the bad visibility doesn't help). I bet it feels great above 80 mph, but how often do you really get to do that?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
If you've driven it and enjoyed it, then do it. (Though really a GTR is a very similar car and just better in almost every way except badge)
How is an R8 similar to a GTR?
Mid engine, NA, German made, great interior, MT vs Front engine, Turbo, Japanese made, auto only. Not in the same price range either.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of the R8. It drives like an appliance. No feel, no finesse. Had a good look before I bought my C2S, tried GTR as well. But nothing feels like Porsche.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A great point about storage space if you're traveling. The other day we could wedge in $500 worth of groceries into the 997S cab. (That includes toilet paper, kitty litter bags, presto-logs!) Try THAT in an R8!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
just went to the Audi showroom and i was amazed at the quality of the interior and workmanship of that car. how the door closes, the leather, the stitching everything oozes with quality not to mention how good looking the car is!!! Im being sucked into the brand but i know Porsche performance is something totally different. Brothers please rescue me....i dont want to spend and make a wrong decision.
show factor is better with R8, drivability is slightly worse, sport usage is 0.
if you want really great car - upgrade to used 430 scuderia.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with points raised by Edgy and Mike in CA. The utility of the car is severely compromised by the lack of storage space. I love that I can take my cab on trips, with sufficient storage space in the trunk and back seat to take the stuff I need. I've driven mine up and down the west coast between LA and Vancouver. Not being able to do that in the R8 would drive me crazy. The R8 is gorgeous, but is of no value to me if I am limited to little jaunts that don't involve needing a small suitcase.
Oh yeah, that gas mileage thing could be a pain too.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

this is actually causing pain now the points on practicality are hitting the nail on the head. Just last week I made a 150km trip with my 5 year old daughter and the babysitter.. that would have been impossible with the Audi. Mileage, with the cost of fuel rising like a balloon, im sure everyone is feeling it....But ohhh that sumptuous interior, the quality of the whole car, the smell, it truly amazing. Truly in the looks and quality aspect i think Audi trumps our P-cars. i tried asking dealer to do somthing with the how the door closes on my Pcar and nothing has changed still that not so solid sound, i open and close the r8 and wow so sexy. You sit inside hmmmm its like being embraced by a beautiful woman. i Havent driven it yet though.

Quick Reply: thinking of trading in 10' C2S for an R8 v8 please brothers knowck some sense into me