Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a high end car and still cut your own grass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
The bigger difference I found in the lawnmower was using Mobil 1. It was unbelievable how much easier it was to turn over.
Mobil 1 makes a 30 wt oil? Seriously the mowers I have seen want you to use a straight 30 (mowing below 20 degrees are you? Best change you can make is a premium (easy start) spark plug.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you paid cash for a new 997 Turbo, you probably can afford to pay someone to mow your lawn. I could easily afford to buy a fairly late-model used 997, but only because I do things like... mow my own lawn and do my own oil changes. If I paid someone else to do all this stuff for me, I'd have more time to drive the best Yugo my leftover funds could get me.

I doubt the octane in the fuel has anything to do with ease of starting. Octane actually retards ignition, that's why it exists, to allow for higher compression ratios without predetonation. ANY fresh fuel will make a huge difference in ease of starting.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Brad J.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who had their own had a lawn mowing business in high school and has mowed more miles of grass that I care to remember.... I definitely pay someone else to maintain my lawn. For me (and probably a bunch of you), the time spent mowing my own lawn would be false savings: the time spent mowing (when I could be earning $ at a higher rate) would actually cost me more $ than paying someone else to do it. However, as many of you have all said, it's really all about having more time to spend with family and friends doing what you enjoy! If you enjoy mowing your lawn- go for it!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

We paid someone to clean up our yard for a while. Seemed like there was a new stranger around our home each time they came out though. I also wasn't getting enough exercise. I did a bunch of work to make it lower maintenance, got some nice tools including a Honda mower and do it myself now. Yard looks good and I feel great.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a lawn and gardening service, however I wash and wax my own cars. One job I hate, the other I like.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I do all of my own yard work (except for occasional tree pruning), not because I can't afford to pay someone else to do it but because I enjoy doing it myself and it's generally good excercise. As far as having more productive things to do with my time, having retired early that's not really a problem and my investments are doing just fine without my constant attention! BTW, regular gas for all of my 4 stroke equipment and to mix for my 2 stroke ones. Premium (and 100 octane racing fuel as appropriate) for the Porsches and diesel for the A3 TDI.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jplanaux
Public Service announcement.

Am I alone? I have several German cars and I still cut my grass. Why am I asking this? If you cut your own grass, then you probably buy gas for your lawnmower also. And you probably fill up the container when you fill up your car - which is probably a high octane fuel.

If your lawnmower is hard to start, try to switch to regular. Switching fuel from premium to regular makes all the difference in the world with my lawnmower.

It took me three years of a crummy running lawnmower to figure this out. Better late than never.
i use electric lawn mower - it is much simpler to live with.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

no. as a matter of fact, once, I paid my lawn guy WITH the lawn mower I had bought right after moving in to our new house a season before. my time is much more valuable than my $.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a high end car and still cut your own grass?
Yes, and lately I have to mow an acre of it about every 4 days!

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I fuel my chipper shredder, rototiller, pressure washer, weed eater, articulated hedge trimmer and lawn mower with regular. Only the Porsche gets premium.
Same here. My gas can and my Expedition both get regular gas. I use the regular in the gas can for my lawn tractor, lawn mower, chipper shredder, rototiller, pressure washer, snow blower, and generator. Then I mix it 40:1 and use it in the weed wacker, leaf blower, and chain saw. My hedge trimmer is battery powered.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do all my own yard work, a hobby and great exercise
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 133 Posts

NO, I don't do it... I have a wife and a son

Best,

Matt
Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Public Service announcement.

Am I alone? I have several German cars and I still cut my grass. Why am I asking this? If you cut your own grass, then you probably buy gas for your lawnmower also. And you probably fill up the container when you fill up your car - which is probably a high octane fuel.

If your lawnmower is hard to start, try to switch to regular. Switching fuel from premium to regular makes all the difference in the world with my lawnmower.

It took me three years of a crummy running lawnmower to figure this out. Better late than never.
yes, but it's a small so. cal. developer optimized lot that i can cut in 30 minutes with our electric mower ans weed-wacker
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend just bought my 06 C2s and has a PUSH mower!! He says it's therapeutic.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I mow my own grass so I can use the money saved for the Porsche!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Nope. ~$100/mo leaves my weekends free for fun and family.
With two acres of grass, in the DC area, that would not even cover cutting it once for me.

Quick Reply: Do you have a high end car and still cut your own grass?