Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS or RMS issue with 2005 997

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a bumper-to-bumper type aka "exclusionary" warranty for my '05 (30K miles), for 6 (six) more years for $4600 from Paragon Motor Club (mentioned on LN's website, that's where I read about them: https://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html down the near the bottom under "Should I Get An Extended Warranty"). The prices dealers want for Fidelity are insane. Plus, if you read the fine-print, Fidelity doesn't cover parts that fail due to "wear and tear" once the car goes past 50K miles. The Paragon warranty specifically says it covers wear and tear. The only provision is that to keep the warranty in effect, the oil has to be changed every 6 months or 5000 miles whichever comes first. Not a problem for me because that's how I'd do it anyway.

That said, my clutch pedal was very stiff, so I had it and the LN retrofit done. The cost of that plus the Paragon warranty (for everything else likely to wrong with my 6 yr old car over the next 6 yrs) cost me $1000 less than a 4 yr warranty with Fidelity.

BTW the mechanic showed me my original IMS bearing and that it was in perfect condition.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
turbosimon
Track Day

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I woudl say if the car has 35k miles on it to date and has not yet had the RMS issue it likely is not going to have that. IMS can happen to any car at any moment. you might check with easycare too for another aftermarket warranty company.
Easy Care quoted about the same rate. With $100 deductible ...$4k for 2 years of total coverage. Seems like that is the going rate for Fidelity and Easy Care.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbosimon
Can you please share your experience with the extended warranty purchase? which one did you get? How much and how did you buy it? Thanks!
I went with Lyndon Insurance-5yr/75k for about $4k (special affiliation rate). I had my local dealer compare their extended warranty with this. They were nice enough to tell me to go with Lyndon. I would worry more about service history and the original owner than the warranty. Cheers.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a quote from Ruf Auto Center here in Dallas for the LN bearing replacement. $1500 parts and labor, assuming no clutch work. Best insurance you can buy, and I can sleep at night.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hagfish2
I just got a quote from Ruf Auto Center here in Dallas for the LN bearing replacement. $1500 parts and labor, assuming no clutch work. Best insurance you can buy, and I can sleep at night.
Please, let us know what the condition is when you replace the part.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by hagfish2
That's a good price. Frankly for the cost of a clutch kit ($600 about) if the car has more than 30K miles on it I'd just go ahead and get the clutch done at the same time. Mine was 50% gone already, thanks to the bad habits of the former owner. It's amazing how much lighter the pedal feels now that it's been done. That much more pleasurable to drive.

As far as it being the best insurance, for the IMS bearing failure I'd agree. For the 1001+ other expensive things that will more than likely go wrong on a 6-12 yr old Porsche, the extended warranty is likely to pay for itself at the very least, and probably well more than that.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 AM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about those 1,001+ things you are talking about. At 78,000 miles on my 2005 C2, I've had the water pump replaced. That's it. The extended warranty was too expensive for me. My only worry was IMS bearing, which is now fixed.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Good for you. The first month on my extended warranty mine needed a starter cable. Sounds rinky-dink, right? Wrong. Would've been $900 if not for the warranty. Maybe that will be the only thing that will ever go wrong on it, but past experience with German cars tells me that's unlikely. I plan on keeping mine another 6 yrs until it's 12 years old, and many things fail from age vs mileage. I find it hard to imagine I won't get my money's worth out of the warranty, but if nothing more goes wrong, the warranty will have been a waste of money. There's a first time for everything. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: IMS or RMS issue with 2005 997