Sponsored by:

Even more tire choices today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
All of them are good ones, which is best for you depends on driving style. The DW's are a runaway hit. As long as Continental can keep us stocked with them they will continue to be. For the money there isn't anything they don't do well. The RE050 is my present favorite N rated tire for wet traction and ride comfort. The Super Sport? Going to be in a world all its own once they come out. DON'T be afraid to call me and preorder them. Half of what I have coming in on our first PO's are already sold. The new S-04 is definitely next generation for Bridgestone as well.

LOTS of good choices right now and we are very excited to get out and start testing this season. Stay tuned.
price comparison DW v Super Sport?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking at the list of installers in my area and it looks like they are low end retail chain shops. When you guys order from tirerack do you use their installers?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Galvano
I was looking at the list of installers in my area and it looks like they are low end retail chain shops. When you guys order from tirerack do you use their installers?
GREAT question - last time I did this, installer totally jacked up one of my rims

found out much later during oil change...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i use NTB for street tires and my porsche mechanic for track tires.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I like to read this thread before I shop for my tires:
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index...&mode=threaded

it is pretty informative.
Thanks, good info, but that is a very one-dimensional way of looking at tires!

As I'd be riding on my tires 90% of the time on the street, I rather have it do multiple things right, while capable on the track. In the past I've had terrible exerpeince with Kumho and Hankook and I would probably never try them again.

I love the final quote :
So, in summary, buy the tire that fits your wheels.
It all comes down to value for money, and I think Conitnental DW is pretty much can't be beat. Super Sports are probably the BEST tires you can buy, and the rest are all in between. For instance, for me, rain traction is huge as I live in Vancouver so I will be taking that into account in my next purchase.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I recently bought a set of tires from TireRack to put on my S4 Avant prior to it's sale. The list of TR approved installers ranged from a generic "low end" shop like you describe to a guy who basically works out of his home and charges top dollar but also has an immaculate shop and absolutely top end equipment. I went with the cheaper generic shop because I was trying to save a few $$ on a car I was selling anyway. When I saw the generic shop and their equipment, I almost drove away, but gritted my teeth and let them do the work. Guy was very nice and it turned out fine, but I wouldn't go back. Bottom line, I don't know how carefully TR investigates their recommended shops but I would pick the best installer in the area, regardless of price or TR approval, to mount tires on my Porsche wheels.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always negotiate an install rate with a local shop that you trust and have TR or other online retailers deliver to that location directly. Saves you the hassle of transporting the new rubber for install.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
It all comes down to value for money, and I think Conitnental DW is pretty much can't be beat. Super Sports are probably the BEST tires you can buy, and the rest are all in between. For instance, for me, rain traction is huge as I live in Vancouver so I will be taking that into account in my next purchase.
i have contis DWS on my lexus, they are good all-seasons. they are not even remotely close to level of grip on dunlop star specs. i have no idea what DW contis are.
my one-dimensional way is to have maximum dry grip with as little as possible hydroplaning and acceptable wet grip. and when you start looking at what is actually available in certain wheels sizes it really come down to not that many choices.
from my point of view I see only 3 good candidates for street: PSS (but they have no good sizes yet), RE11 potenzas and dunlop star specs.
still it is educational to read about different options and choices people do.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Is there any other metric that matters?

I hadn't heard about Conti DW when I posted that thread, I should probably update...
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

The Super Sports are the way to go especially with the new Michelin warranty, try them for 30 days, if you dont like them give them back (conditions apply) 30k/15k warranty (for staggered Porsche applications like the 911).

They are about as fast as the MPSC+ with better wet performace, better heat mgmt, better contact patch and longer wear ...

I have a set sitting in the garage waiting to go on the GT3.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Add one more to the mix - Bridgestone RE-11's (XL weight rating).
Great tire.
Great grip.
Super Quiet.
Look great (nice tread pattern)

A bit heavier than some choices though. (not enough for me to notice)
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 AM
int90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i have contis DWS on my lexus, they are good all-seasons. they are not even remotely close to level of grip on dunlop star specs.
I also have the DWS, on my BMW xi sedan. I think they are pretty darn good; gave me enough confidence to pass
everyone during a light snow storm on the way home after a ski trip.
They are in a different category than Star Spec; the "S" in DWS is for snow.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

all i can say is if the super sports exceed the pilot sport 2's them im sure they are going to be awesome tires... my ps2's should be worn in 2 years because after a year and 12k kms they still look new.

Quick Reply: Even more tire choices today!