Sponsored by:

Dash Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
YseanY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Noise

I just picked up an 2007 997 as a second owner. The car is great, but there's a stupid rattle/tapping that sounds like it is coming from the front dash, under the chrono clock. It sound like a wire or plastic plug is tapping against something metal.

I've taken it to 2 dealers and none of them can find the problem and do not seem to be willing to take apart the dash (don't really blame them as it may cause more sounds when returned). I've taken out the cup holders, ashtray, AC vent, radio, and AC controls all to find nothing! I've searched and thought it was the AC vent as it seems like a few people had this before. I did find that the door lock switch does shake and rattle a little but this was not it as I've driven the car with the whole thing out.

Any ideas on what could be loose?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Another way to trouble-shoot this sort of thing is to have someone else drive the car while you focus upon isolating the noise source. I can't help but agree that this sort of thing can drive you nuts!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM
YseanY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Another way to trouble-shoot this sort of thing is to have someone else drive the car while you focus upon isolating the noise source. I can't help but agree that this sort of thing can drive you nuts!
yea, but with the radio and ac removed, there's still not much room to check inside behind the dash...

does anyone know how to remove the glovebox?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a similar rattle & had the dealer fix it under warranty. they took out the sport chrono - not saying this is definately the cause of the issue for you - and they repacked it with a bunch of felt tape & stuff. i don't really want to know, frankly.

i've had 3 rattles in 8 months fixed. i have been told this isn't so terribly unique but it seems a bit unique that my dealer is so cool about fixing them up right away.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:31 AM
YseanY
Instructor

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i had a similar rattle & had the dealer fix it under warranty. they took out the sport chrono - not saying this is definately the cause of the issue for you - and they repacked it with a bunch of felt tape & stuff. i don't really want to know, frankly.

i've had 3 rattles in 8 months fixed. i have been told this isn't so terribly unique but it seems a bit unique that my dealer is so cool about fixing them up right away.
yea, the sound seemed like it was from the chrono, but i removed it from the car completely and test drove it... the sound is still there!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure if this is related, but when turning right, i hear a sort of...rubbing/creaking coming from the right side of the dash. and only when TURNING right...never on turning wheel back to center, or turning left. i'm pretty sure it has to do with temperature and tolerances as i only hear it sometimes (altho, since it happens at odd times, i cant even narrow down whether its when car is warm on a cold day, or car is cold on a warm day, etc etc) . anyone else have this? ps, i do not have chrono.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Who was your dealer in Seattle? I see this post is three years old now.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

While its happening, reach across to the passenger side and push on the dash (the part thats perpendicular to the ground). It may "click" into place....temporarily.

This fixes the problem I have....until i hit a pot hole and then it "un-clicks"

lather rinse repeat
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Brackman
Who was your dealer in Seattle? I see this post is three years old now.
barrier...

Quick Reply: Dash Noise