Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hook License Plate Holder (w/ photos)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by brendo
i have a decal. no harm, no foul. available in reflective vinyl too. it's a moving violation in washington state and you're guaranteed to get stopped if you don't have one if you live near me...
Never had a front plate on my car for the past 3 years living in Seattle. I would be interested to know where you got the vinyl decal as well...
Old 12-20-2015, 02:30 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by REDTURBO
I agree! The tow hook plate mount is a great idea but aesthetically having the plate centered looks nicer then off centered to me.
If you go with a center mount, it's not a good idea to block the airflow especially if you track the car or live in a hot climate. I know that most cars don't have a center radiator but air entering the center is routed to the coolers to the side.

btw, nice resurrection of an old thread
Old 12-20-2015, 05:26 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
If you go with a center mount, it's not a good idea to block the airflow especially if you track the car or live in a hot climate. I know that most cars don't have a center radiator but air entering the center is routed to the coolers to the side.

btw, nice resurrection of an old thread
Many years ago, I remember seeing a Lotus 7 that had the old style CA black plates mounted on the radiator (which was recessed by the body). The plate has been cut out so that only the orange lettering and outside frame (very thin) was left. The net result was that you could see the lettering from the front of the car (making it legal), but there was little "meat" blocking the air flow.
I guess this would only work well with a black radiator.

One thought about center mounting would be to curve the license plate so that it form fit the center radiator section. Has anyone tried this?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See Skene Design……… Centered licence plate with mount attaching to holes drilled UNDER bumper.
http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

+ 1 no front license plate...but if I had to deal with those pesky meter maids, I'd probably center mount with Skene...maybe even with a euro-sized plate that is made to mimic a Virginia license plate!

Last edited by Greg2010; 12-21-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I arranged to take delivery of my '05 997 from my seller at the local dealer where he was having service done on my behalf. I also arranged to use his plates to drive the car 80 miles home.

In a distance from the dealer better measured in yards than miles, I got pulled over for no front plate. The only "concession" I was able to get was waving of the fine if I got the plate mounted before the court date. But I did still have to pay court costs.

So I am now using a Rennline towhook mount on the front. 🙁
Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't add the front plate to any non-daily drivers in NJ. I was pulled over in the Porsche for not having the plate on the front. The officer reviewed all my paperwork, I told him that "I just can't do it", and he understood. He let me roll.

But I was pretty expressive about how it kills the value (dubious, but he bought it) and that my car won't be parked on the street unless it's broken down waiting for a tow truck.

(Results are not typical. Consult your doctor first. You mileage may vary. Can we please get a magnetic setup with a powerful magnet behind the bumper?)

Quick Reply: Tow Hook License Plate Holder (w/ photos)