Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
sameerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now if you driving at a steady speed and are at about 3900 rpms, does this whine remain steady?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

When the belt was replaced was every pulley spun by hand to make sure it spins freely? Every pulley also tugged to make sure there was no play/wobble?

Does the whine occur in the driveway and also while moving?

There's not much else than the pulley driven system or the gearbox that can make a whine like you're describing. Maybe valve train if it was dry (no oil) but I think you'd see other symptons if that was the problem.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Mera
8th Gear

Hi, I am the OP.

In my car the whine can only be heard inside the car between 2000 and 3000 revs/min. I cannot hear outside the car and above 3000rpm it seems to get drowned out at 3900 I cannot hear it at all.

When I had the serpentine belt changed, they replaced 2 tensioner pulleys as a precaution only. They also noted the aircon pully was a little dry but they did not think it was causing the whine.

Someone else suggested it being the aircon clutch but in this case the whine should disappear when the air con is switched off. So not this.

I don't think it is the gearbox, because you can hear the whine when the car is stationary.

Hope this helps and if anyone has another idea, let me know! Whilst not a major concern, it is irritating
Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Mera
8th Gear

I forgot to mention that before the engine failure and rebuild, there was absolutely no whine. The Porsche Dealer who did the rebuild says it is a normal sound and not to worry about it.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

Yeah, i can hear the whine even when i put the car in neutral while driving at the same speed. when the rpms drop, the whine disappears, but if i rev the engine again while in neutral, the whine is audible.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Mera
I forgot to mention that before the engine failure and rebuild, there was absolutely no whine. The Porsche Dealer who did the rebuild says it is a normal sound and not to worry about it.
The noise has been present for almost a year... I'd say it's normal.

Our ears (brains) can play funny tricks on us regarding noises.

However, if the noise can be produced with the car stationary then my advice would be to get the car in the air and with someone in the driver's seat who can work the throttle while a mechanic is under the car and can pinpoint where the noise is coming from, do this.

The mechanic (and he should know this without being told) should use an automotive stethoscope unless of course he can locate very precisely the source of the noise without having to resort to using one.

Once the location from where the noise is coming from is known...

Oh, kind of a long shot but... briefly my 03 Turbo started making a noise -- seemingly out of the blue -- which to me sounded like a wheel bearing and not a dry bearing sound but a whine. It didn't help I was a long way (nearly 2K miles) from home and traveling on vacation and not looking forward to dealing with having my car repaired while on vacation.

But I managed to get the car into an obliging dealer (in OKC) and his senior tech took the car out and came back and reported the source of the noise was the front tires. They were cupping a bit and making a noise at speed (70mph or higher).

I felt the tire treads and sure enough I could feel the feathering and the slightly rougher surface of the rubber compared to the rest of the tread face. The rear tires felt just fine.

Now I'm pretty careful about my cars' and their alignment and take pains to avoid bumping things that can affect the alignment, but what I think happened is I bumped -- straight on -- a low sidewalk when I pulled into a motel parking lot a few days before. (In my defense even though I'm careful I was very tired and simply misjudged how far to pull the car in.)

Anyhow, this bump, more a nudge, knocked the alignment (front toe) out slightly and this accounted for the 'sudden' appearance of the noise.

It is a long shot but you might consider at least having someone experienced feel the tires to see if he can feel any signs of tire wear that suggests the alignment is out and this could/might account for the noise.

BTW, I had an idler go out (well start making a noise though when I first heard the noise I didn't know its source) on my Turbo and the noise was not a whine but had more a 'dry bearing' sound characteristic to the noise. I managed to find an obliging auto repair shop owner -- in Tehachapi, CA no less (and I wish I had written down the name of the shop so I could give it a mention: the owner didn't even charge me!) -- graciously put the car on a lift and the owner and I under the car -- the engine was idling -- both id'd the noise from coming from the rear of the engine (where of course the serpentine belt is located with all the drives it well, drives) and up high where the power steering pump is located. Long story short I drove the car back 200+ miles to my local dealer and the uppermost idler roller bearing we id'd as the source of the noise and replaced under warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I do not hear that in my cab. If it was there my wife wouldn't ride in it. The engine might be making that whine but the acoustics in the cab might be different enough to muffle it?

Take the belt off and run it up to 2-3k rpm and see if it is still there. If it is gone then belt drive accessory. If it is still there then something in engine, normal?? maybe.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mera
Hi, I am the OP.

When I had the serpentine belt changed, they replaced 2 tensioner pulleys as a precaution only.
Those cars only have one tensioner 'pulley.'

There are several come-alongs, but only one is loaded with a preset spring. (One size fits all).
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
sameerg
Intermediate

Had the dealer check the car out for the whine. Thy Tech said that he could not hear anything that was unusual. I am guessing it is normal then.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Just heard the clip. Must say the noise is very similar to the 3 911's I've had, including my current 997S Mk2.

One can always drown out the whine by installing a less restrictive exhaust :-)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your Mother in Law in the car with you?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 AM
mattatk
Track Day

Hey Mera, did you ever solve the whine? I am curious because I have a similar whine.
Metallic "grinding" or "shaving" sound
Noticeable between 2000-3000RPM in gear or in neutral (clutch up/dn)
Still present with belt removed.

Any ideas please????
Old 11-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Dennis Rojas
4th Gear

Unhappy

I know this is a very old thread but my 2008 C4S has exactly the same sound. So far I've replaced all 3 belt pulleys (2 idlers and 1 tensioner) and the steering pump with no discernible change to the sound. It's a distinctive sound similar to a jet engine. Not having much luck with my stethoscope. Anybody figure out where the whine is coming from?

Last edited by Dennis Rojas; 12-04-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: new user mistake
Old 02-24-2023, 06:21 PM
zapp
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Rojas
I know this is a very old thread but my 2008 C4S has exactly the same sound. So far I've replaced all 3 belt pulleys (2 idlers and 1 tensioner) and the steering pump with no discernible change to the sound. It's a distinctive sound similar to a jet engine. Not having much luck with my stethoscope. Anybody figure out where the whine is coming from?
Same here on a 2008 C2S.
Did you figure out where it's coming from?
Old 02-25-2023, 01:06 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

I've long ago identified the source of the whine in my car and it only occurs when my wife is with me and her constantly saying "Slow Down!!... You're Going Too Fast!!... This Car Rides Worse Than A Truck!!! ..."

Unfortunately and after 52 years of marriage, I've concluded that it's something that I'll have to accept and live with. Fortunately and most of the times that we do go out together, we go in her Mercedes.

Quick Reply: Strange Whine