Strange Whine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 11:47 PM
DolphL77
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zapp
Same here on a 2008 C2S.
Did you figure out where it's coming from?

The last thing I did to reduce the whine was replace the alternator bearing. It’s pretty easy to change out and not expensive. The engine sounds acceptable after this. If you want the engine to sound even better, change your oil and use Motul 8100 x-cess gen2 plus the mos additive. I know it’s just oil but it made a difference.

Everything I did to silence the whine was the following:
1. Change all tensioner pulleys
2. Change serpentine belt to new continental brand (gator something). I was told that the factory belt is quietest but I went with continental because they are known for quiet belts.
3. New power steering pump (had no effect). I read that the power steering reservoir causes whine sometimes. I just left my reservoir alone.
4. New alternator bearing.
5. Motul 8100 + mos additive.

All parts except the belt are oem from pelican parts/autohauz/fcp euro.

There is still a very high pitched whine that almost sounds electrical like a fuel pump or something bleeding through the speakers but it’s neither of those. It’s coming from the back engine area. I also removed the fuse to the rear speak and head unit but still can’t figure this one out.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:56 AM
zapp
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
I have also changed the pulleys (incl. alternator) and the serpentine belt. At this point, I'm thinking that it's coming more from inside the engine. Maybe Flywheel, or even RMS/IMS related. It seems to be not a real problem though, since many well running Carrera engines have this whine.

Quick Reply: Strange Whine