1st and 2nd gear troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1st and 2nd gear troubles

Hi,

My car has the short-shifter and it has always been very rough getting into 1st and 2nd gear. Recently, it has gotten to the point where 2nd, in particulary, doesn't go in at all. And 1st goes in only if I have made a completely stop to a halt.

Interestingly, once the car temperature is up after I've been driving for 15 minutes, both gears operate just fine.

I took it in this week and they changed the gear oil since I am very close to 60k miles. However, if anytihng, the problem has gotten worse.

I was driivng to work this morning and I had to go from 1st to 3rd because 2nd would not go in at all -- as if the gate was closed.

I am taking it back for another look next week but was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,

-T
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I had mine (in the 997S) adjusted several times - never as bad as yours, but they can be adjusted and that is probably all you need.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 AM
tpenta
Racer

When you say "adjusted" what exactly is being adjusted? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

It's possible that the shift cables have stretched over time and need to be adjusted back to spec.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, either your transmission is bad - 2nd gear synchro could be shot - or your shift linkage is bad. Who did the short shift install? It is somewhat common for the cables to be adjusted wrong.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Here's the trick to Porsche transmissions. NEVER, force them into gear, hot or cold. You may have already done damage. Porsche recently adopted steel instead of brass parts for gears 1 and 2 (arrived with the 997) in order to deal with owners who have a tendency to force things.

Although mine (short shifter OEM) is a little notchy on cold mornings for 1st and 2nd, I never force it, and it works fine. Now at 56,000 miles.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:38 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by tpenta
I took it in this week and they changed the gear oil since I am very close to 60k miles. However, if anytihng, the problem has gotten worse.
Also, was this at the dealer? I wonder what fluid they put in...
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
tpenta
Racer

No, I have never forced it, which is why I had to go from 1st to 3rd.

The shifter was unfortunately installed by another company. As for the fluid, it was Swepco, which I am told is very good stuff.

I'll see what they tell me on Monday.

Hopefully it's cables.

Thanks,

-Themos
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM
cbzzoom

The shifter was unfortunately installed by another company.
Yeah that's the first thing to look at.

As for the fluid, it was Swepco, which I am told is very good stuff.
Hmm interesting. Swepco is very popular with Porsche guys, but it is really more appropriate for older Porsches, not 997's. Swepco 201 in particular is *much* thicker at low temperature than our trannies want. (210 is even thicker than 201)

Swepco 201 : Viscosity at 40C : 151 cSt
OEM Shell : Viscosity at 40C : 81 cSt

at 100C (operating temp) both are at 15 cSt, so once fully up to temp they should act about the same.

Some day I'm going to try Motul Gear 300 , it has the lowest Viscosity at 40C I've seen for an oil that maintains 15 cSt at 100 C. IMO you want the high temp viscosity to protect from wear, but you want the low temp viscosity as low as possible to reduce the low temp stiffness.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I have never forced it, which is why I had to go from 1st to 3rd.

The shifter was unfortunately installed by another company. As for the fluid, it was Swepco, which I am told is very good stuff.

I'll see what they tell me on Monday.

Hopefully it's cables.

Thanks,

-Themos
I got the ssk a few weeks ago. Same thing with first, only at a complete stop or perfect rev match will it engage. , but its easy to get around. For short stops I never leave it, otherwise feathering second if your in it works fine.

I saw the post above but can't imagine its your syncro,s. It would have issues shifting both ways unless you really meshed the points only from second to first.

You may want to check.. and I hate saying this, but your shift fork. What your describing sounds like a loose shift fork. They are not brass anymore so they don't bend but just snap, or the plastic wedges burn off.

Not to panic you because I am sure it is unlikely but I would not want to run around with that issue looming. It would trash the whole granny if bits start floating around.

Good luck either way. If you can't shift around in your garage with the engine on, tow it just in case.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
tpenta
Racer

Thanks. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning.

It shifts just fine once the engine is hot...

-T

Quick Reply: 1st and 2nd gear troubles