Sponsored by:

PASM and PSM warning light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PASM and PSM warning light came on

This morning I got the encircled exclamation mark warning light when I drove out of my garage, and it indicated PASM and PSM failure. It went away after I drove 50 feet. It did not return until I was pulling into my destination, just as I was parking. So I re-started the car and it was off. I drove a few hundred yards and it came back on again. Any thoughts on what might cause this before I head to the dealer (this is a CPO'd '07 C2S)?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

It can be a variety of things. What's the state of the battery? Sometimes a weaker battery can throw a code and one of the first to pop up is the PASM and PSM. Was the battery replaced recently? Are you in a cold area that demands more from a battery?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

I bet you are right. I had not driven it for 5 days, and as far as I know it has the original battery (2007), so it is due to be replaced. It has been somewhat cold for So Cal recently, as you know. I better get to Walmart this weekend.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

And I forgot to say: Many Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I disconnected the battery to have it tested at the weekend. It turned out to be okay. After I reconnected it and started the car the PASM and PSM were both deactivated with warning lights and messages and the buttons didn't work. Tried switching it off/on again but that didn't help. Drove 100m and they both went out.

I'm guessing it's something similar to ABS warning lights coming on when you've had 2 out of your 4 wheels on a rolling road. It requires a little drive or the computer to know that the sensors are still working and to calibrate.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks, that seems to confirm Dan's hypothesis. By the way, I can't help noticing your name and avatar belong to a car I owned a few years back when I lived outside London. I had a green Fiat Coupe turbo - I think a '98 or '99 - that I would have killed to bring to the U.S. when I moved back. I loved the car. Recall going double the national speed limit on the M6 one time. Do you have it there in TX?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Yeah it's a 1997 FIAT Coupe 20VT custom painted in Alfa Romeo Nuvola Blue. I used to live in Uk and took it to Canada with me when I moved there in 2005. I did all of the work myself to it except the internl engine rebuild and mapping. Almost everything is now custom or modified. Engine was stroked and bored to 2.5 litres and about 300 whp. Couldn't easily bring it to USA with me in 2011 so it's in storage in Calgary.

I now have a 997 C4S for entertainment.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

FiatCoupe: Wow, 300 hp through the front wheels. I couldn't easily afford to bring it back and doubted I would succeed in bringing it to Calif. I assume you saw the episode of Top Gear where Jeremy turns a Fiat Coupe into a police car.

Quick Reply: PASM and PSM warning light came on