Sponsored by:

Tipping service writers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tipping service writers...

Do you guys tip Porsche service writers? Will they/can they even accept tips? How bout the "valet" guys that bring the loan car, or take your car around back?

My Grandfather was a service writer for Buick from the late 60's to the 80's and made a good part of his living through tips. But when I tried to tip a service guy (not at Porsche) years ago he said we can't take tips anymore. It was awkward and I haven't tried again.

Just had a Porsche writer that was really helpful. Could just bring her cookies or something I guess.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've brought lunch and Panera Bagels to my indy shop before when getting oil changes.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, I tip. Always. It acutally saved me money on a recent repair. My car is BMW CPO and its does not cover rattles, etc. and my gauges were rattling in the dash. Only charged me 1/2 labor when it took a lot longer including test drives. $20 per visit does wonders.

Last edited by Michael_s; 03-02-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Customers who are sincerely grateful are always appreciated (and remembered) by personel of any business.
If you've ever been in a "customer service" job (from waiters on up), you know how much a little consideration means. And, it doesn't always have to be money...although, a tip, when appropriate, is very nice.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a service writer go above and beyond - sent him a thank you card with a $50 AMEX gift card.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I worry that these guys are salaried professionals and that getting tips might seem to put their job on par with a waitress. I have never expected tips in any of my professional positions and had I gotten one, it would have been awkward - more like a bribe or like something extra, beyond simply good service, was expected. It could be a cultural thing, but in GA, I think it would seem odd.

I do like the idea of showing appreciation but tipping doesn't seem to express it the best way to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think nowadays they make okay, if not decent, livings. If I really want to appreciate their help, I send them some cookie baskets and a hand-written letter of compliment.

Regards,
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

When it comes to folks like Service Writers (as stevepow correctly pointed out), a monetary "tip" may not be the best way to express your appreciation.
However, a complimentary email to the dealership GM about how nice you were treated by a specific individual, scores major 'brownie points' for the employee, and probably gets you more VIP service on your next visit.
IMO, more appropriate than handing a guy $20.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I worry that these guys are salaried professionals and that getting tips might seem to put their job on par with a waitress. I have never expected tips in any of my professional positions and had I gotten one, it would have been awkward - more like a bribe or like something extra, beyond simply good service, was expected. It could be a cultural thing, but in GA, I think it would seem odd.

I do like the idea of showing appreciation but tipping doesn't seem to express it the best way to me.
+1 Well stated.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that tipping a service writer is appropriate. The principle of tipping a waiter/waitress is that restaurants are allowed to pay them less than minimum wage because much of their income is generated by tipping. They are an exception to the minimum wage rules. Such is not the case with service writers who often work on commision and try to upsell the dealers services.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally, I would never tip with cash or anything like that. They are professionals--not service personnel (e.g., waiters). However, I do occasionally bring them a bag of avocados off my trees to show my appreciation.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I bought a case of premium beer and dropped it off at my daily cars' indy shop during the holidays. During the year I took a car in for a few things and got ripped off as usual. $50.00 for a $5.00 part etc. If you're looking for a friend in the busine$$ and find one you are a lucky man.
BTW service writers are supposed to find extra things to charge you for, they get a cut of that action.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather tip the Mechanic than the guy behind the desk...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems inappropriate to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
shine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
BTW service writers are supposed to find extra things to charge you for, they get a cut of that action.
Most service writers work on commission these days. In addition, their bonus is usually directly related to the results of those surveys they make such a big deal about. If you want to be nice to your service writer, the first thing to do is to give them high ratings on those surveys.

Quick Reply: Tipping service writers...