Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding EOM TV tuner to 2009 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Adding EOM TV tuner to 2009 997.2?

Does anyone know if its painlessly possible to add the TV tuner that is described in (http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...11CarreraTarga) to the 2009 cars that did not have this option?

Being able to listen to much more useful TV audio from weather/incident reports, or actually watch the reports when the car is not in motion would be a very nice addition.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know and I question why you would want that in a sports car. Afterall, it's not an SUV.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Because mine is not a race car, its a daily driver and I like to live in the current decade and take advantage of the information I can to help me get around, rather than live like its 1960 and just find out about things when I end up in them.

Having such functionality is just as valid in a sports car as an SUV. I'm not talking about headrest mounted displays so kids can watch Spongebob here.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm not talking about headrest mounted displays so kids can watch Spongebob here.
That really did make me laugh out loud. Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Big 2nd!!

I still don't get it. I don't have that feature in any of my vehicles and I feel I get all the info I need from my newspaper, internet, etc. I don't need to be that connected. On the other hand if that's what you want, it's your car, life, etc. It's just that I see what you want to do as being ridiculous in any car let alone a sports car daily driver or not.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure how, but honestly what info you can get from TV programs that you can't from Radio?!

If you got iPod hookup, can also get wireless radio. If you wanted to watch DVDs, etc... on it, then I'd understand.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

If you don't get it, fine, you don't see the benefit. That doesn't mean the benefit isn't there. But I'm not interested in debating the utility of the feature on your particular car. If you don't live in the Puget Sound, you don't understand the peculiarities of the weather systems and road network here and the fact that radio broadcasts are next to useless to help there.

I'm curious if anyone knows if its possible; if they have approached a dealer about the idea.

Given the silence, I assume no one has gone down this road.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Minok - Have you seen this thread? Looks like it is available only to outside of U.S.
http://www.navtv.com/forum/index.php?topic=386.0
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

actually i too am interested. my interest is how to put video into the pcm3 screen. we have all the inputs for sound but no video capability. if i can also install a tv tuner that would be a nice feature to boot. i really hope someone comes out in the open to share. maybe a socket to put into the ipod to mave it rca or something
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're looking for on the information front, but I have a SAT-NAV system for my motorcycle that provides real time Doppler, etc and traffic updates. I can't remember what I subscribe to for this service (Sirrius, or something like it), but it's invaluable for me riding x-country. Is that what you are trying to do with your PCM screen? I'd like that, too!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
ditto that - hilarious

tv in cars is great (one of the few things I love about Korea) - besides, I haven't found a decent radio station since leaving australia (viva triple J)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

For my particular case, in the US Puget Sound region, when we have the occasional snow events in winter, things get crazy. Because of the geography, the weather and road conditions can vary drastically over a 5 mile distance. You may have clear skies in one area, and go up 5 miles and turn around the other side of the mountain and its a blizzard of snowfall.

So when we do have those events, the most useful update on 'which roads or areas are in chaos' is usually the live television reports. The XM NavTraffic is near useless for effective flow info short of a major, long-term shutdown. I've seen too many days of I-90 traffic crawling at 15-20mph across all 3 lanes only to see that XM NavTraffic paints the map as being all green. Whatever the source of the problem, be it WADOT's data, Navteq's integration of that, XM's feed of that, or Porsche's integration of that feed onto the map, I don't care.. .all I know is the total product, as experienced, is not that useful. So I want alternatives. As I saw the Turbo had a TV module in the 2011 rundown, I was wondering if this is just a daughter card that gets plugged in and some activation or if its a fundamentally different thing. Of course it would need to be the US based NTSC centric digital television tuner technology, not the PAL solutions.

Again, I'm interested in the OEM solution described in the Porsche microsite: HERE

Quick Reply: Adding EOM TV tuner to 2009 997.2?