Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Technology of the 911....cool article

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011 | 02:39 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by 1990964C4

The basic motor available on the current 911 has 355hp, not 385 as the article states. ("Engine choices range from the 385hp, 3.6 liter...")
If you're going to play the pedantry card, you ought to at least do Tim the courtesy of making sure your corrections are actually correct...
Old 02-26-2011 | 10:43 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swajames
If you're going to play the pedantry card, you ought to at least do Tim the courtesy of making sure your corrections are actually correct...
It's a misprint, that what it is. 345 is what I meant.
Old 02-26-2011 | 01:30 PM
bdoviack
Instructor

I think that was an excellent article about someone and their Porsche experience.

Not sure why people are expecting Pulitzer-Prize winning journalism here. He is not writing for "Excellence" Magazine rather a technology blog.

If anything, we should be more welcoming to newcomers to the Porsche world and not give them the feeling they are not "good enough" because they misquoted a horsepower figure.
Old 02-26-2011 | 02:20 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Tim - I really did enjoy the article and the video. We've got a tough crowd here on rennlist and yes there were some minor mistakes, as 1990964C4 pointed out - albeit with a mistake of his own . But I appreciate just the fact you created such a piece for the public at large.
Old 03-02-2011 | 05:29 PM
TimStevens
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Tim, I'll start by saying that I couldn't write an article period. That said, I felt like you rephrased the material you came across while researching the car. The basic motor available on the current 911 has 355hp, not 385 as the article states. ("Engine choices range from the 385hp, 3.6 liter...") The article doesn't captivate on any level. Sorry.
Now the video... The bits recorded on the car have poor sound quality. The other half of the video is filled with Porsches own animation bits. At one point you are talking about launch control with AWD animation on the screen. Feels like beginner's work .

We are a tough crowd here. You picked a subject that has been covered brazillion times, so you are automatically compared to the best writers that ever existed. Your article might be a success in a Sunday Sun aimed at a general public, but out here i expect nothing but the best. I wish you luck, pal. Don't give up!
Hey, sorry, just getting a chance to get caught up after a couple days away. Actually another reader today noted the HP typo and, as it turns out, I had the displacement wrong on the GT2 RS as well. It was, however, just a typo. You'll note I got the HP rating right in the para before, but of course as you yourself saw these things aren't always so straightforward

When I was showing the AWD animation I was talking about AWD. I then said how fast that AWD car got to 60 when it had launch control and that was my segway to show the Turbo launch.

Anyhow, I very certainly appreciate the feedback and will take it to heart, but again please realize that this is content that's aimed at bringing a new group of technically-minded but auto-agnostic readers into "the fold" of the car lovers, if that makes sense. It's a very specific segment I'm targeting here, so I'd kindly ask that you don't confuse your position outside of that segment with my inabilities as a journalist

Again, thanks to all for the feedback. I'll work harder to cater to the car forums crowd in future articles because I am, obviously, a member of many myself.

Quick Reply: The Technology of the 911....cool article