Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?

So I will soon be moving from Omaha, Nebraska to Basel, Switzerland. I have a 2005 Porsche C2S with only 19k miles. It is a launch car, so its fully loaded to include the PCCBs.

At first I was going to just sell my car in the US, and buy another when I got over there. But I've been doing some online shopping, and the prices over there for a car equipped similarly to mine are quite high. So now I'm thinking about just transporting my car over there.

I've already got a price quote for the shipping. Door to door, all in, it comes to roughly $3k. This doesn't include marine insurance, which adds another $1k.

My question is this: What type of conversion, if any, will be required to pass inspection in Switzerland? I have absolutely no idea what would be involved. I called my local Porsche dealer, and they just deferred to a dealer in Switzerland. (I don't have one there yet.)

Has anyone else done this? Are there any other potential pitfalls or expenses I'm missing?

Any guidance, ideas, or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by eilig; 02-18-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it in Belgium and the UK and it's a royal pain in the butt... but with the $ conversion at the time it was really worth it! It will likely entail changing the rear lights (for fog lights), an emissions test, perhaps the windshield (local standards), blinkers, and some countries require that you have ALL indicators in the local unit (km/h). I think that if you budget $5000 plus transport you'll be fine. Keep all the parts for when you go back. All in all, it should be less than the loss on your car here + another one there.
Depending on how long you'll be there, you can also leave it on US plates for up to a year without spending anything on it... then you can sell it there, and then get another one... You'll get more money there than here for selling it if you factor exchange rate
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
So I will soon be moving from Omaha, Nebraska to Basel, Switzerland. I have a 2005 Porsche C2S with only 19k miles. It is a launch car, so its fully loaded to include the PCCBs.

At first I was going to just sell my car in the US, and buy another when I got over there. But I've been doing some online shopping, and the prices over there for a car equipped similarly to mine are quite high. So now I'm thinking about just transporting my car over there.

I've already got a price quote for the shipping. Door to door, all in, it comes to roughly $3k. This doesn't include marine insurance, which adds another $1k.

My question is this: What type of conversion, if any, will be required to pass inspection in Switzerland? I have absolutely no idea what would be involved. I called my local Porsche dealer, and they just deferred to a dealer in Switzerland. (I don't have one there yet.)

Has anyone else done this? Are there any other potential pitfalls or expenses I'm missing?

Any guidance, ideas, or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
See here:

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countrie...toregister.asp

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it with you...cheaper
Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! Extremely helpful. Quickly becoming a no-brainer.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call up the local dealer. They can help you with most of this, plus you will develop a relationship before you get there. The best reason to take the car is the roads. I've driven all over the world, but the Swiss, German & Austrian roads are my favourite. Don't forget to send us pics when you get there. Cheers.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Swiss roads are beautiful. You may be aware of this, but the Swiss are also strict about exceeding the speed limit, especially on normal roads and through villages (hefty fines paid on the spot), drinking and driving (BA limit .05% limit) and radar detectors. In fact, if you have a GPS Nav unit equipped with a traffic camera data base it is subject to impound and you a fine even if it is turned off and in the trunk.

The scenery makes up for it all, however. I love Switzerland. Hope you have a great trip and everything works out with your car.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Totally agree regarding the Swiss roads. I've been driving over there, at least annually, for the last 12 years. Usually in a Porsche that I rent from Avis. I have to say, Switzerland is my second most favorite place in the world to drive. My fav, of course, is across the border in Germany. The autobahn is bliss in a Porsche. But the great thing about the city of Basel is that it's just across the border to Germany -- and the autobahn.

Will definitely post photos!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Totally agree regarding the Swiss roads. I've been driving over there, at least annually, for the last 12 years. Usually in a Porsche that I rent from Avis. I have to say, Switzerland is my second most favorite place in the world to drive. My fav, of course, is across the border in Germany. The autobahn is bliss in a Porsche. But the great thing about the city of Basel is that it's just across the border to Germany -- and the autobahn.

Will definitely post photos!!!
I haven't been many places but I have been to Switzerland (on business - and my first trip outside of the USA) and I really loved Switzerland. Beautiful country and the people were fantastic. Were I able to afford it I'd live there some part of the year and of course own a Porsche to drive while I was there.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

How to make a small fortune: Move to Switzerland with a large one.

Seriously it is a great place for driving. I've been through most of the major cities and have enjoyed each and every one of them.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Three Words: Davos-Stelvio Pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZm8VFCKNj4
Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

I'll have to try that one, thanks!

So far my favs are Furka Pass and Gotthard Pass. The views are incredible, and the road quality outstanding. Love the switchbacks!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

My wife and I spent 18 days in August of 2002 riding the Alps on a Harley Ultra Classic. Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy (the Dolomites) and Austria. I think we did 35 passes or more in that time. Absolutely spectacular. All the other bikes we say, and you can't believe how many bikes there are in the Alps in the summer time, thousands, were primarily sport bikes, but boy was the Harley torque helpful in the mountains and I think I surprised a lot of the other riders keeping up with them on their sport bikes. Actually had one guy on sport bike come over to me at the top of a pass and shake my hand telling me that he thought it was incredible that he could not pass me on the way up.

The Stelvio pass was incredible, but there are just so many passes it never ends. Did the Furka and Gotthard passes. In many cases if there was a cutoff to a pass that was not really on our way we would just take the turn off and go over the pass and back just for the experience. There is a great book call Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps that has descriptions, maps, lists and pictures. A great resource for touring the Alps whether you are on a bike or in a car.

I did get passed by a GT2 once, tried to keep up for a while, but no way. Driving a Porsche through the Alps would be a dream, but I still think I would rather be on a bike. So my recommendation is to take the Porsche and buy a bike when you get there.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

TAKE IT. If you can do some of the mods BEFORE you ship it to save some of the hassle over in Swiss...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always buy the required lights , fog lights ect... from a salvage yard to keep costs down.

I would love to have a job that required me to move out there. So, what kind of work is requiring you to move out there? If thats too personal, I understand.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Moving to Switzerland. Take the Porsche?